Oxygen Not Included

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Do you have to waterlock a drecko ranch or can you get by with a room that's more vertical than horizontal and you enter at the bottom so you have a pool of oxygen down there (leaking in and out when you go through doors) and most of the top of the room is trapped hydrogen?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
Do you have to waterlock a drecko ranch or can you get by with a room that's more vertical than horizontal and you enter at the bottom so you have a pool of oxygen down there (leaking in and out when you go through doors) and most of the top of the room is trapped hydrogen?
Yeah you're gonna need to waterlock a drecko ranch and you're gonna need a half-carbon, half-hydrogen setup for it to work reliably. Most people have an exosuit dock for it but you can have the farm tiles accessible from the bottom of the ranch (dreckos whole meal lice plants) and have the grooming station and the shearing machine outside the waterlock and run it without an exosuit fine. My latest setup looks like this...not the prettiest but works great without an exosuit dock:

drecko farm.png

Eventually I'll release enough hydrogen in there so that the carbon layer is no more than the 1 tile above the farm tiles, but even with that little hydrogen i got the dreckos producing glossy eggs just fine. In fact I had to incubate a couple regular dreckos for fiber to make more paintings.

As for how you get two gasses in a volume, the gas release station and the gas cannister filler is one of the unsung heroes of the game.

iannis

Musty Nester
I do mine without waterlocks. I break them into smaller portions and use airflow tiles because waiting for a drecko to crawl his ass fifteen files irritates me in a way that it shouldnt.

I do a long series of rooms, three high with hydrogen vented into the upper tile from a tank lice farm tiles for the floor. The dreckos only get something like 50% uptime for hydrogen exposure, but that tends to be good enough.c

I do have to duplicate shearing stations. Each room is big enough to hold 3 dreckos. I only need 6-9 total dreckos for plastic production to overrun my need for it. It's not elegant, but it works. Each drecko will eat slightly more than one lice provides, so d+1 food worked out just fine.

They might be 4 high. My goal was just to limit interior surface area as much as possible. Dreckos soooo slooooow.I

It does wind up being low decor. But my dupes eat their own poop so... Humility is a virtue.

Last edited:

Intropy

Shit Gamer
I think you guys are over complicating things slightly for the Glossy Dreko Farm. I've run this one for the past 300 cycles or so with basically no maintenance.

ONIDrek.JPG

Just put the door at the bottom, and make sure the Mealwood is one tile lower than the rest of the room. Pressurize with hydrogen first, then pump in a couple of kg of CO2 at the end and you're good to go. Nearly 100% uptime in hydrogen. I can even leave the airlock permanently open so the dupes can move in and out more quickly.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
I think you guys are over complicating things slightly for the Glossy Dreko Farm. I've run this one for the past 300 cycles or so with basically no maintenance.

View attachment 229603

Just put the door at the bottom, and make sure the Mealwood is one tile lower than the rest of the room. Pressurize with hydrogen first, then pump in a couple of kg of CO2 at the end and you're good to go. Nearly 100% uptime in hydrogen. I can even leave the airlock permanently open so the dupes can move in and out more quickly.
I had something similar but i tweaked it because I needed a way for the rancher to stand there as long as needed for the drekkos to get from whereever they were in a full 96-tile ranch to the ranching station WITHOUT an exosuit. The oxygenated area waterlocked off from the rest of the farm was the best solution. I tried a similar solution to yours but the grooming station and the shearing station was the in the middle so that the travel time for the drekkos was minimized.. still ended up cancelling a lot of actions because the rancher needed to catch a breath.

Also I wanted to cut down on the tidying tasks to pick up the phosporite while still making the bottom times accessible for replenishing the farm tiles, so those had to be accessible from the bottom.

Last edited:

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Slicksters on my map seem to disappear when I release them from the box they're trapped in in the oil biome.. I've excavated about half of the oil biome so far and every time I build a ladder or tunnel towards where I can see a slickster trapped, when I check back after it's been released and the slickster is gone.. Some of them I checked the ages and they were only 10-15 cycles old so it couldn't have been old age.. What could be happening to them? There's no way out of the oil biome other than through a mechanized airlock..

Right now I can't see any more slicksters on my map so I don't know how I can start up a farm unless I get offered some by the printer.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
they're not THAT finicky about heat but they will die if it gets too cold for them. Shouldn't be that sudden tho. Their min survivable temps are VERY hot.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
The whole oil biome is 100 celcius plus.. Only thing I can think of is they might have drowned in crude, but surely they would swim above that to the nice 2.1kg co2 atmosphere above?
I've never done slicksters before so I'm not too familiar with how they move.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Slicksters cannot realistically drown unless you drop them in a death trap, although layered liquids can do it.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
If I find another one I'm going to have to micromanage a dupe to get the job done and cage it before it disappears!

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
If I find another one I'm going to have to micromanage a dupe to get the job done and cage it before it disappears!
Slicksters aren't really worth it, unfortunately. They nerfed their petroleum conversion long ago so using them to convert CO2 to petroleum isn't worth the dupe labor and setup if you want them for that.

They WILL eat all the CO2 in their volume relatively quickly though. I still use a ranch of them in a waterlocked ranch where I pump all my excess CO2 just to keep the pressure from getting too high.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I mostly just want them for something different plus it would be better to do something useful with my excess co2 rather than just vent it into space.

• 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Built a slickster room. .got offered a live slickster from the printer.. trapped it, as soon as a dupe would come to collect the trapped slickster it would bust out of the trap and continue flapping around the printer room. Did that 3 times.. strange... Then I found another live slickster in the oil biome and tried using auto-wrangle which worked so now I'm up and running with my slickster farm!

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Very timely posts as I was gonna ask what kind of solutions are available for getting rid of gasses. Been using electrolyzers for oxygen and they keep shutting down due to max gas pressure. I can only fill so many gas containers!

khorum

Murder Apologist
Very timely posts as I was gonna ask what kind of solutions are available for getting rid of gasses. Been using electrolyzers for oxygen and they keep shutting down due to max gas pressure. I can only fill so many gas containers!
You can sequester them in a waterlocked space up to a fairly high pressure. Even heavy tile starts getting pressure damage though... to prevent any pressure damage you want the enclosure to be at least 4 tiles thick.

Then it becomes a pump issue... I make a pump that uses a series of automated doors to pump excess gases into sequestration since even the high pressure vents stops working at around 20kg/tile.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Electrolyzers produce 1000g/s of gas (888 oxygen, 112 hydrogen), so you need two pumps to flush the gas out if you want to get max throughput from the electrolyzer. I have tried a variety of designs and this is one which is working pretty well for me:
The top pump is for the hydrogen, the bottom 3 for oxygen. They have atmo sensors on them to only run when > 600g atmo weight so they don't waste power. Filters on to separate out the wrong gasses as sometimes the hydrogen pump picks up some O2. The hydrogen is fed in to the reservoirs and then back into the generator, which as you can see is burning all of the hydrogen supply it since the cannisters are all empty. Main issue with it at the moment is actually that i don't need the oxygen since my whole base is at 2k pressure, so a lot of O2 is is making it up to the hydrogen pump which then just dumps it back outside this box.
electrolyzer setup.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester

When I hit that stage of saturation I either go insane and start strip mining everything to open up extra gas volume, or i clear out a vaccum room and start pumping air into space.

I've thought about making an oxylite refinery setup but never have. Cause yeah, you hit 2k oxygen after a little while. Better too much oxygen than too little.

The blue slickster variants have a massive decor bonus. I had one base where I hatched out a bunch of those and just set them loose all over the place. But it's a lot of micro for not much reason. Made me kinda want an animation where very rarely a dupe will walk past a slickster, pick it up, and wear it for a hat for a minute then put it back down. Like when Howie Mandell used to blow up the latex gloves with his nose.

Last edited: