Oxygen Not Included

khorum

Murder Apologist
You DO NOT ever want to lose any resources into space. There's a way to convert every resource on the map into something the dupes will need. Even sour gas.

For managing unbreathable gases, you can sequester it in a volume with a door pump since high pressure vents will stop working at fairly low pressures.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
I know in theory that's true, but with tapping just 2 water (steam) vents you hit a point where Oxygen can be viewed as a waste product in the production of electricity. And I don't really see much use for it except for refining it into oxylite and storing it that way. Which, is something that you probably SHOULD do, but I haven't hit a colony crash yet by not doing it. It doesn't solve a problem so much as it compacts a problem. Which is to the good but the problem being that you have more oxygen than you need or can find a productive use for.

Venting is sub-optimal no doubt, but as long as you're relatively careful about it it doesn't seem to push over into failstates.

I'm pretty sure you can straight delete 95% of your co2 with a carbon scrubber safely. I see very little use for it, honestly. You might want a little bit for agriculture. I like dem mushrooms.

I guess hollowing out architectural gas storage rooms is a more effective use of space than the item built ones. They really are very big and hold very little. What, you make a lock system to push the pressure gradient into the room?

Yeah, that's exactly what you do. That could be a better way to deal with excess gasses than venting. At least, if you're smart enough to bury a pump in your storage chamber to begin with, you'll always have access to that resource in the event that you need it. That won't be a trivial power draw, seems like a good mid-late game solution to a problem though.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
I know in theory that's true, but with tapping just 2 water (steam) vents you hit a point where Oxygen can be viewed as a waste product in the production of electricity. And I don't really see much use for it except for refining it into oxylite and storing it that way. Which, is something that you probably SHOULD do, but I haven't hit a colony crash yet by not doing it. It doesn't solve a problem so much as it compacts a problem. Which is to the good but the problem being that you have more oxygen than you need or can find a productive use for.

Venting is sub-optimal no doubt, but as long as you're relatively careful about it it doesn't seem to push over into failstates.

I'm pretty sure you can straight delete 95% of your co2 with a carbon scrubber safely. I see very little use for it, honestly. You might want a little bit for agriculture. I like dem mushrooms.

I guess hollowing out architectural gas storage rooms is a more effective use of space than the item built ones. They really are very big and hold very little. What, you make a lock system to push the pressure gradient into the room?

Yeah, that's exactly what you do. That could be a better way to deal with excess gasses than venting. At least, if you're smart enough to bury a pump in your storage chamber to begin with, you'll always have access to that resource in the event that you need it. That won't be a trivial power draw, seems like a good mid-late game solution to a problem though.
Yeah you'll need the oxygen for oxylite and eventually liquid oxidizer for rockets. You'll need to build oxidizers just to electrolyze oxygen out of water exclusively for that purpose. Really no such thing as waste oxygen. Again just sequester it somewhere till you need it. Because you absolutely will.

• 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
My dupes won't use this prat of my transit tube network, in either direction. The rest of the network is working fine.. I assume it must be because of the two crossings together? Is there some kind of bug around this?
transit tube crossings.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intropy

Shit Gamer
My dupes won't use this prat of my transit tube network, in either direction. The rest of the network is working fine.. I assume it must be because of the two crossings together? Is there some kind of bug around this?
View attachment 230680

You are correct, just replace one of the crossings with a regular straight section of tube.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
View attachment 230680
Yeah it's not actually connected to the rest of the tube network. Replace one of the junction tiles with a regular tube.

• 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Yep that fixed it, thanks. That is a bug right? If it wasn't supposed to work then they wouldn't let you build them together like power bridges?

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Prolly more a QoL thing. There are situations where both power and transport junctions would need to be built next to each other. Kinda weird they haven't made a bridge for transport tubes actually.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
So is there a max pressure per tile? 999?

I started a colony to play with door pumps. And they are a wonderful thing that makes base design so much better. Find 1 nat geyser and your energy concerns are over. That's a lot trickier and takes a lot more building to try to do it with gas resevoirs, they limit you a lot. But i've got an oxygen room that's got 600kg/tile in it now and its only going to keep climbing. lol. I'm wondering what happens at 999. Does it stop, or does it pop?

Dupes ain't gonna have any eardrums left.

Realistically I can just expand the room and reduce pressure that way. I built it tiny because I didn't realize there was -this- much excess. But i wanna see it explode!

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
dunno what the cap is but ive had insulation walls start taking pressure damage when the steam pressure got super high. You can reinforce it with double or triple walls or prevent it altogether with walls four tiles thick. I think bunker tiles might be impervious to pressure damage at 1 tile thick too but ive never tried.

• 1Like

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Might actually make it past the mid game on the game I'm currently playing

oxygenmap.PNG

• 1Like

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Trying to figure out where to go from there but I'm in a good position with a separate save file at 100 cycles so if I fuck something up I can go backwards and try again.

My main lesson I think I learned was to keep it smaller and less is more early on. Rather than trying to build the infrastructure all at once all over the place, one project at a time and keep it limited. I also kept to 4 clones til I was past 50 cycles and I still only have 7 clones now. Going to get one more and stop there at some point before cycle 150

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, i keep 4 derps until I can get a mushroom farm going. At that point... 3 mushrooms per derp and you'll gain kcals, you can easily fit 30 farm tiles in a greenhouse if you wanna forcegrow 'em... it's mostly just a matter of getting a good RNG to make it worth picking the next derp. It's not the best food but fuck 'em, I give 'em vidja games and a DDR machine! They added hottubs and shit! Gonna build out a few of those too, see how goofy they are.

I like to have the bedrooms planned out already though. That tends to be the limiting factor in how many derps I want. How I design the park/shitter/bedroom/greathall complex. Tried a bunch of variations, haven't really picked a best.

This latest map I got blows. I got 1 nat gas geyser nearby that was easy to get to, and that was nice. But since then it's been... co2 geyser (why. WHY. WHYYYYYY), infected polluted oxygen geyser (well, that's probably useful if you don't run an electrolyzer), a magma volcano (infinite igneous rock.. I... guess? Or steam.. but I got that natgas already), 2 steam geysers, and a chlorine geyser which is "well, at least it wasn't a co2 geyser" tier. Plus the ubiquitous slush geysers that i'm not sure what they're for. Salt for food plus water, I guess?

And I just found the anti-entropy machines. They poped within 10 tiles of each other at the very top. I guess that's not awful... it'll make a cooling oil loop pretty fast. But pumping oil all the way up is troll!

They added overjoyed since last time I played. I got little derps running around with red balloons. One of them said that she was gonna put stickers all over a room... but I haven't seen her do it yet. Sticker tease.

Really what I need to do is recruit a few porters. I've had "long commutes" for like 100 cycles in a 200 cycle game. lol. YOU DON'T WORK YOU DON'T EAT. CARRY THAT SAND.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Thats a lot of deodorizers!

Ince you clean up an area with them can tear them down. I use them to clean areas im exploring of germs and bad o2 because it becomes good o2 and then you dont need to worry about the germs anymore.

Usually remove them as i move back into a cleared area to build.

• 1Like

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, i keep 4 derps until I can get a mushroom farm going. At that point... 3 mushrooms per derp and you'll gain kcals, you can easily fit 30 farm tiles in a greenhouse if you wanna forcegrow 'em... it's mostly just a matter of getting a good RNG to make it worth picking the next derp. It's not the best food but fuck 'em, I give 'em vidja games and a DDR machine! They added hottubs and shit! Gonna build out a few of those too, see how goofy they are.

I like to have the bedrooms planned out already though. That tends to be the limiting factor in how many derps I want. How I design the park/shitter/bedroom/greathall complex. Tried a bunch of variations, haven't really picked a best.

This latest map I got blows. I got 1 nat gas geyser nearby that was easy to get to, and that was nice. But since then it's been... co2 geyser (why. WHY. WHYYYYYY), infected polluted oxygen geyser (well, that's probably useful if you don't run an electrolyzer), a magma volcano (infinite igneous rock.. I... guess? Or steam.. but I got that natgas already), 2 steam geysers, and a chlorine geyser which is "well, at least it wasn't a co2 geyser" tier. Plus the ubiquitous slush geysers that i'm not sure what they're for. Salt for food plus water, I guess?

And I just found the anti-entropy machines. They poped within 10 tiles of each other at the very top. I guess that's not awful... it'll make a cooling oil loop pretty fast. But pumping oil all the way up is troll!

They added overjoyed since last time I played. I got little derps running around with red balloons. One of them said that she was gonna put stickers all over a room... but I haven't seen her do it yet. Sticker tease.

Really what I need to do is recruit a few porters. I've had "long commutes" for like 100 cycles in a 200 cycle game. lol. YOU DON'T WORK YOU DON'T EAT. CARRY THAT SAND.

A co2 geyser + a water geyser is basically infinite o2 wouldnt it be?

Convert co2 and clean water to o2 and pollutes water pump the polluted water to tanks in chlorine to clesn it up cycle it through a seive afterwards

iannis

Musty Nester
You don't need the co2 for an electrolyzer though, just the water geyser. It is basically infinite o2.

And yeah, the chlorine vent isn't the worst. There are a few good uses for chlorine.

I'm not saying there is none, I just have no idea what the use for co2 is outside of mushroom farms. I tried to solidify it once to see if it would turn into carbon but it doesn't, i just turns into solid co2. And you have to cool it a LOT. I think I read that it makes for an oil alternative for industrial cooling if you don't have oil.

Mostly I think it's cause i play on ezmode normal map. You'd have to use it one one of those maps that are oil poor.

I guess what you could use it for is a buffer gas... if you wanted to enclose your main habitat behind airlocks/waterlocks if for some reason you were o2 starved. But that's more thematic.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

khorum

Murder Apologist
If you don't want to fuck with slicksters to turn co2 into crude oil, you can use co2 to produce DIRT via scrubber->vaporization or scrubber->sieve->compost.

Dirt gets pretty scarce late-game on some maps.

iannis

Musty Nester
Hmm. Yeah, you could turn it into dirt. Hadn't thought of that.

How do you vaporize it? Whenever I've heated polluted water it just turns into steam. Did I not notice it was making tiny disciples in the process?

I was dumping it into some stupid hot oil to cool it. heh. Dirt might have sank.