Oxygen Not Included

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Scrub it, feed it to slicksters/oxyferns, or vent it to space. Anything more complicated isn't worth the trouble, co2 sucks.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Finally got my first few rockets in to space.. got enough databanks to research petroleum engines.. soon to start bringing back materials which i need since im desperately low on metals. Looks like there are zero volcanoes on my map.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Finally got my first few rockets in to space.. got enough databanks to research petroleum engines.. soon to start bringing back materials which i need since im desperately low on metals. Looks like there are zero volcanoes on my map.
Weren't you in the salt biome?

iannis

Musty Nester
Well oxiferns are flat terrible.

Started on a verdante. I kinda like it, but no starting algae was tricky. So I noticed oxiferns all over the place and wild pips...

set up a little row of 10 of the things and... well, they don't do much. You'd need like a giant radiator of 50 of the shits.

Maybe if you hydro them they produce more than 8g/s of o2. But they consume very little co2 to do it (less than 1g I think)... so I guess if you scale it up to ridiculousness, in theory...

Kinda thinking they just suck tho. To be fair, they are absolutely free, so they shouldn't be all that good. At the same time they are limited by how many spawn in your starting biome. I guess they add decor. Hrm, nope. They subtract decor. lul.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oxyferns are fine, especially on Verdante where you just have to dip over into a marsh to get some algae. I didn't build an electrolyzer based oxygen module for something like 200 turns on my Verdante playthrough.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Well oxiferns are flat terrible.

Started on a verdante. I kinda like it, but no starting algae was tricky. So I noticed oxiferns all over the place and wild pips...

set up a little row of 10 of the things and... well, they don't do much. You'd need like a giant radiator of 50 of the shits.

Maybe if you hydro them they produce more than 8g/s of o2. But they consume very little co2 to do it (less than 1g I think)... so I guess if you scale it up to ridiculousness, in theory...

Kinda thinking they just suck tho. To be fair, they are absolutely free, so they shouldn't be all that good. At the same time they are limited by how many spawn in your starting biome. I guess they add decor. Hrm, nope. They subtract decor. lul.
The thing with oxyferns is that they're essentially net free oxidization if they're in the wild,. But once they cultivated in a planter or a farm tile, the dupe labor and the dirt for fertilizer fall behind once you get more than 5 population. In my verdante colony i dug out an island of dirt all the way at the bottom of my starting biome, put a critter drop off on it for pips and put all my oxfern seeds on it so that the pips would plant them on the island. They oxidized and scrubbed the CO2 fine for five dupes and I just had to be careful about putting manual airlocks within the hab area.

The other thing you wanna keep in mind with them is to keep the main oxygen-rich area as small as possible, since the oxyferns will quickly fall behind if you dig out too much space for the o2 to spread out into.

Last edited:

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'm past cycle 300 now, with a natural gas geyser harnessed and a cool steam geyser harnessed for energy production and oxygen production.

I have my water situation completely handled. My temps handled. 300k food saved up. 10 guys with space currently for 2 more before I have to build new bedrooms and such. I can see space through the holes in the upper layers of my viewing area for the first time. Im working on the last chains of research (the very bottom two furthest out the space related stuff)

This is my favorite game of the past I dunno many long years (since New Vegas launched probably) and I'm just having such a blast with this map. I've rearranged, gutted, changed around so much of my base to refine it, adding in entertainment room with jukebox and video game console, dining room with a huge decor bomb through the middle of my base, all my energy production is way up top near a cold zone, along with refined ore production, and energy is properly distributed outside and around my base, which is well insulated.

Its all in place. I need to redo my water system to make it take up less space and be more efficient and then probably build a new grow room for food plus get my ranching setup going again.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I'm not sure if you get entropy machines in verdante. I don't think you even get worts.

I'm going to have a heat problem. I may have finally found a use co2. Space radiator!

khorum

Murder Apologist
If you have any cold biomes you should have a decent chance of having an AETN in there. My current barren/large boulders/salt main base has 3 that I'm exploiting so far.

If you don't have any, you need to look at digging down to the lava layer and building some hydrothermal energy setups soon so you can power an aquatuner-based cooling setup for your base. I actually started my current base just to get a hydrothermal generation system setup as early as I can. 1300+ cycles in and I'm just now starting to run out of lava, but the leftover igneous rock is still hot enough to power my base for prolly another 500+ cycles.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I finally started up all of my oil wells. Two of them are fine (barring one minor mistake which resulted in steam everywhere, oops!), but the 3rd oil well on my map is buried in a 400-450c mix of petroleum and sour gas thanks to a break in the abyssalite which has been leaking heat in from the magma layer the whole game.. Cycle 1053 at the moment.

Trying to harness that one but even steel is no good with that high temp. Guess I need to use thermium gas pump to get the nat gas out of there.. Good thing is I should cool the area down pretty quick through a combination of the 30c water ill be pumping down there, plus the 80c crude oil which spews out.

I'm also working on building a liquid o2/h2 system.. Need a lot of ceramic for that to keep the stuff liquid while pumping it around so that's taking me a while.

I keep being distracted by random things going wrong.. like some how the little pool of polluted water which was cooling one of my transformers in space evaporated and so the transformer rapidly overheated and brought down my robominers/scanners, which in turn resulted in large scale meteor damage.. ahh fun!

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
If you have any cold biomes you should have a decent chance of having an AETN in there. My current barren/large boulders/salt main base has 3 that I'm exploiting so far.

If you don't have any, you need to look at digging down to the lava layer and building some hydrothermal energy setups soon so you can power an aquatuner-based cooling setup for your base. I actually started my current base just to get a hydrothermal generation system setup as early as I can. 1300+ cycles in and I'm just now starting to run out of lava, but the leftover igneous rock is still hot enough to power my base for prolly another 500+ cycles.
it forced me to do aquacooler/steam cooling. Which is neat and something I'd never used. I would just fine an aetn. But the steam setup is easily modular, it just takes power. So it's a better option for a lot of things while the aetn is better for others.

Annoyed me at first, but the depth was there.

• 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Here's a nice simple AETN setup I'm using.. Found it in a youtube video, can't remember whos (probably Francis John, his designs are excellent). Just uses a thermo sensor to close the door when the water pool gets above a certain range (I've got it set to 20c). Makes the AETN constantly cool the water down to 20c while i pipe whatever I want to cool down through the pool. I'm using a long cooling loop of petroleum cooling various things down including 2 hydrogen geysers which are spewing out 500c hydrogen.
You can also make the polluted water pool larger and have multiple liquids or gasses piped through dumping heat into it. Just have to be careful not to overpower the AETN's cooling, which is pretty good but won't keep up with extremely high heat sources like a bunch of heavy industry.
AETN.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
To optimize cooling liquids with an AETN you need to split the incoming liquid into 4 pipes and let it come into the AETN volume in the smallest rate you can manage. That's because the liquid has waaaay more mass than the gas in the AETN volume (even if you max it out) and running 10kg streams through the AETN will overwhelm the whole thing. My current base is setup so that cooling the hydrothermal plants won't overwhelm the AETN's over time.

AETNnorm.png
AETNoil.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Oh my.

I got a dupe that turns into rainbow brite. lol.
I got them running around with rainbows and balloons lol. Not sure how. I built the suntanning recreational area but I guess it's meant to be built on the surface since I don't have enough light even with 6 lights in 2 rows above it.

Also I kinda stumbled on a potential fix for my dirt shortage but I gotta figure out a way to automate it. Basically since bristle berries DO NOT require dirt for fertilization, they're basically a way to convert water into dirt via composting. Takes 6 days to harvest and generates roughly almost as much dirt as burning off polluted water for steam turbines.

Takes a lot of room and some dupe labor though.