Oxygen Not Included

iannis

Musty Nester
I've never hit a dirt shortage (tbh I kind of peter out around the late 100's, longest i've run a colony is about 900 before I decide I can tighten up the build and don't want to tear everything down to do it). I've seen that you can cook algae into dirt though. But it's probably 1:1 and if you have a dirt shortage you probably have an algae shortage too. Slime to algae and polluted, both to dirt.

The cooking wouldn't scale well I imagine because you have to place it in packets, so that's either a lot of dupe labor or conveyor belts... and I dunno.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
I've been on the same playthrough since the game released early in the summer... cycle 1400 or so now and I may have a shot at long-term survival with this one.

In all prior builds I would run out of dirt early lategame and it would slow down rocket research and it happened to this game too---and that's with ZERO farming except to feed the drekkos.

As for getting dirt (or salt) I just pump the polluted/saltwater into my hydroenergy area at the bottom of the map, where I use the exposed magma to generate steam for my turbines. As soon as the polluted water flashes into steam it drops off dirt which is picked up by the automated arm and shipped to a central location:

hydro.png

I need to build another powerplant since that one is running out of magma though.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I built the suntanning recreational area but I guess it's meant to be built on the surface since I don't have enough light even with 6 lights in 2 rows above it
Are you using the sunlamps? Those beds need natural light from either the surface or the sunlamps.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Are you using the sunlamps? Those beds need natural light from either the surface or the sunlamps.

Yeah. I gotta dig up a sunbathing station at the surface I think. I got a pretty complex solar power system up there and I'd need to make room for it.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Just "finished" the game (got the home sweet home + great escape achievements) for the first time. On Terra, cycle 1143. MVP were hatches who were my primary food source for the majority of the game, and my power source until I mostly cut over to a combination of solar, natgas and emergency hydrogen.

Held off on liquid fuels until I could build enough insulation to prevent heat exchange between my steam room and fuel rooms although in hindsight i probably should have just used ceramic. Then had a huge delay waiting for enough ceramic to build for all of the pipes for piping the fuel around my rockets. I the end I was rushing for that as I wanted to finish it and start a new colony.. and now it's new colony time, hurray!

• 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Wonder what new systems they will add. I think most people are hoping for new late game power sources.. I would like wireless automation and a more fully fleshed out space system for starters. Better priority management for dupes especially managing travel time would also be good.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nothing huge, it's a free update. more automation options and a roomba, top comment has the summary.

iannis

Musty Nester
I read their roadmap and it's underwhelming even for how little actual information I expected.

It's about a page long, and that's about a page too long. They could have done it with 4 sentences. "We're working on a DLC. We're also working on continuing free updates for the base game. We're continuing to try to optimize the engine for performance, but we've hit a point of diminishing returns. Always pick flatulent."

All it really says is "new systems" and "testing as we go, if it sucks we scrap it". Fair enough!

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Some really good stuff coming in the DLC. Looks like nuclear power and a fully revamped space system including the ability to build on other asteroids.. exciting!

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
these games are such a reality check of how dumb I am - I really like em but I think i'd have to put in everquest hours to even get close to figuring out some of the stuff the autists are doing

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
Haha I'm in the same boat. This is the only game I have played where I gave up because it just got too complicated. It was fun but to really get to end game stuff you have to be smarter than I am.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Eh, you can get do most everything with really basic automation. Most of the really complex things you see are just prestige projects.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Pretty much. No need for sour gas boilers when solar across the map and whatever hydrogen/natural gas you've got is enough power for almost anything.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
My latest map.. most stressful start I've had so far and it's far from secure yet. Had large 1600 degree obsidian chunks spawn ~35 tiles from my printing pod, 2 to the left and 1 down. Started vaccuum sealing it but it was too slow and the heat was very quickly getting in so i rushed insulated tiles to slow it down for now.. One of them has a volcano in it, i assume at least one of the neutronium bars to the south is a volcano too.... interesting so far!
hotstart.png

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I've been waiting for the DLC to drop before diving back in. I've missed it but feel like I've explored everything and not sure what I'd want to do in a new map.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I still have lots of projects I want to try out. I keep restarting, usually after something goes horribly wrong. Like my most recent game was on verdante, I had mountains of space materials and a map full of volcanoes, hot steam vents and other good endgame stuff, so i was trying out all sorts of fun things.. but on the first volcano-steam tamer i built I accidently made the heat sink out of aluminium and didn't realise until i had finished and started it up, and all of the metal tiles immediately melted. Said fuck it and restarted immediately on this horrible map I posted above. I'm not sure what caused it but half of the abyssalite around the starter biome is missing, replaced with these 1600 degree blocks of obsidion.. maybe it's the 'volcanoes' trait gone awry..

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I still have lots of projects I want to try out. I keep restarting, usually after something goes horribly wrong. Like my most recent game was on verdante, I had mountains of space materials and a map full of volcanoes, hot steam vents and other good endgame stuff, so i was trying out all sorts of fun things.. but on the first volcano-steam tamer i built I accidently made the heat sink out of aluminium and didn't realise until i had finished and started it up, and all of the metal tiles immediately melted. Said fuck it and restarted immediately on this horrible map I posted above. I'm not sure what caused it but half of the abyssalite around the starter biome is missing, replaced with these 1600 degree blocks of obsidion.. maybe it's the 'volcanoes' trait gone awry..

Abyssalite layers get broken all the time by map traits, not just volcanoes.