Oxygen Not Included

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Yes, not anywhere near this severe though. Come to think of it I think this is a non standard map type so that's probably why.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
if you're playing on volcanea with additional volcanoes then just be grateful you have any abyssalite at all.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
What world trait causes these hot boulders? I've never seen them before but they are all over this map including several in the starting biome which is quite the hazard!
Here's one which spawned on top of the abyssalite between a slime biome, a rust biome, and space. There's no volcano nearby so I'm not sure if it was really caused by the volcanos trait, but I suppose the associated volcano could have been overwritten by the ruins.

hot boulder.png

I have now vaccuum sealed 60% of my base, 30% is just walled off with insulated tiles (which are rapidly heating against 300degree biomes), and the remaining 10% is protected by a frozen biome - which I've left in peace because i dont want to dig out the cold!

I'm only getting outside to explore by double waterlocking through my vaccum seal. It's very hard because at least 50% of my surroundings is too hot to dig through without suits, which I don't have yet.

My only real water source is one cool steam vent which is too hot for me to work with. I'm going to have to dig in to a 55 degree noxious biome to get some hydrogen to pump into a drecko farm so i can get some plastic to start trying to cool things.

This is a nice challenge!

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I played the Spaced Out Alpha a little. The starting biome is a completely new one with all different critters/plants and a lot of new materials. Some new critter mechanics are pretty interesting.
I'm curious if there will be other maps for the DLC or just the one.. Maybe they will patch more in later.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
They said early access for the DLC will begin in December. I've been wanting to get back in to ONI but been waiting for the DLC. Can't wait!

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Never played this. There a list of similar games? I often find new games from reading "if you liked xxx, you'll like this game".

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
It's most often compared with rimworld (which I've never played)

It has gameplay elements in common with factory building games like factorio or satisfactory, and survival games like frostpunk, don't starve, etc.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
2d vertical (like an antfarm) colony survival, starts out everything is done manually by your 'duplicants' and by mid to late game you unlock/become reliant on increasingly sophisticated automation setups for certain things.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
It's most often compared with rimworld (which I've never played)

It has gameplay elements in common with factory building games like factorio or satisfactory, and survival games like frostpunk, don't starve, etc.
I just bought Frost Punk on Steam.

Any advice when getting started?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Holy shit seriously? Luuuuuulz
The learning curve is pretty brutal and you really want to plan some things from the very beginning. You can circumvent some of the learning process by watching a starting guide on YT if you get frustrated.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
The learning curve is pretty brutal and you really want to plan some things from the very beginning. You can circumvent some of the learning process by watching a starting guide on YT if you get frustrated.
Yeah, a beginners vid was my first plan of action.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Once you get the mechanics sorted out it becomes pretty simple since there's very little randomness in the game.

• 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
It's really early access thought and obviously incomplete. The whole radiation system is still missing. Elements are there on the new map, but you can't do anything with them yet.

I feel like there should be more maps too but there's still only the one - swamp biome starting location.

ONI is one of the best games ever IMO so I bought the DLC even in its incomplete state. Gotta support a great game and indy studio.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I wanted to "beat" the main game so I could experience it before going into the DLC. So a few weeks ago I started up a new colony on a standard difficulty terra map. I took my time and tinkered with a bunch of designs. Around cycle 700 or so I started making liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen so I could wrap up the colony and fly out to the farthest object on the star map. I'd gotten there by cycle 750ish and now feel like I can put the game down again until the DLC is feature complete.

Perhaps what I love the most about ONI is that you can learn so much about difficult-to-understand concepts like heat management and fluid dynamics. Even the concept of resource conversion is something I didn't fully appreciate prior to playing ONI (I can't help but think of how I can utilize unused land on my property to convert plants into meat by feeding my chickens...).

My 8 year old plays now and then, but ONI lacks the appeal of simpler games like Minecraft so he doesn't usually get beyond cycle 50 or so. As he gets older and learns about concepts demonstrated within the game I'll definitely be using ONI to give him hands-on learning and cement his understanding of those concepts.

• 1Like