Oxygen Not Included

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

khorum

Murder Apologist
Oh do you have the pipe going horizontally across the hydroponics tiles? That kept bugging out for me so i went full autist and did a top-down drip thing even though it gets pretty fucking obnoxious to recirculate the water at really low temps.

sleetirrig.jpg

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It works that way cause the pressure builds up at each end point and will continuously flow based on usage after that. If you have it all in one pipe and that pipe is full pressure back to the start, only a very small amount of water will travel through it to the end, and if that small amount of water is the only thing flowing you're only gonna hit like 5 hydroponic tiles. On my current base, I have my first hydroponic farm set up on the same pipe that runs to my toilets and showers, keeps everything moving, but when I make another farming room it'll have a setup like that most likely.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
I kinda wanna try illuminating a farm with a lightbug ranch right above it with a plastic floor. I know the decor bonus radiates through the plastic floors, would the illumination for plants work too?

I'd keep the lightbug ranch at 2 height but long enough to cover the width of a full 96-tile farm, the grooming station on one end and the feeders on the other so they circulate.

It wouldn't save any energy since the lights are only 10w each tho, and the lightbugs are only really good for decor.

Goonsquad Officer
Don't put a line f pipes through a line of hydroponics. Put them a tile under forking up at each farm.

James a good volcano shits free gold but also incredible heat. you almost need a vaccum3 layer keeping the heat away. Don't dig it out till you are ready. and always clear all nearby objects or they will change state and hilarity will ensue.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well I thought I kept it blocked, but it looks like I cleared one block up too high so it drops gold currently. I'll definitely dig a vacuum around it, but what do I do about the 700 degree gold it shits out?

Goonsquad Officer
It will cool naturally. But that heat will spread out from the volcano like a plague. I've done builds where I filled the area around it with hydrogen and weezeworts. I've seen folks use sweepers to dump it into vats of polluted water then use seives to delete the heat. I personally do not like water as coolant. steam asses up dupes worse than any other phenomenon. I've built a drip cooler that drops oil on it, then it runs off into a vat which is either piped to an entropymmachine or converted to petroleum. 300 degree oil turns into 75 degree petrol.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well I thought I kept it blocked, but it looks like I cleared one block up too high so it drops gold currently. I'll definitely dig a vacuum around it, but what do I do about the 700 degree gold it shits out?

Vacuum is overkill, just surround it with a double layer wall of igneous insulated tiles, asap. Once you have exosuits you can set up a way to cool the gold, while it's very hot it's not that much mass. Gold is the best volcano imo, since copper is worthless and you get extra iron from comets once you breach the surface.

And if yall wanna see just exactly why you have to be fairly careful in the Oil biome, tune in to the latest episode of "Dude fix my base".

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hey can't I just suck all the temperature out of the air *in* in the Volcano chamber?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hey can't I just suck all the temperature out of the air *in* in the Volcano chamber?

Not much point since that wont help the gold cool, although if you find that easier to do than a vacuum layer or a double layer of insulated igneous then go for it.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I found some reed fiber and made some Atmo suits, but I tell one to put it on and they start suffocating a ton. So I made some atmo suit docks and a checkpoint, but it looks like I need oxygen to feed into the system? Will that stop my dudes from suffocating? I've also found a cool steam geyser and natural gas geyser now, and I'll need a good setup on that cool steam geyser sooner rather than later, but I don't want to fuck around sending my guys in there without an atmo suit.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
yeah, atmo suits are alot of work.

need power, need to feed them oxygen. one checkpoint in and out.

cool steam should be fine to work around I think.

Goonsquad Officer
yea checkpoints effectively make "zones of wear a suit". you essentially place them at entrances to space, deep slime biomes you intend to keep gross (puft farms), maybe supercold or hot work enviroments, the oil biome.

man i was skimming the reddit. this design is super good and super effective i think. (the concept. not the exact layout):

ONI Simple Sterilizing Washroom Loop (6 images)

JYnNh7h.jpg

GxcIQ7d.jpg

a1BM7b8.jpg

zYGFb8d.jpg

EfiISr3.jpg

GxcIQ7d.jpg

So this dude basically made his toilets empty into a liquid tank which is sitting on an airlock. the airlock is on a timer to be "opeN" most of the time, which prevents the tank emptying. the tank sits in a room of chlorine. (purifying the water). a few hours a day the door closes and pushes the now clean p-water up to a seive, cleans it, drops it into a liquid tank to do it over again. It uses no electricity to pump, only for the seive and the valve.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So my setup ended up looking like this, I think it works out pretty well.

20181204214012_1.jpg

iannis

Musty Nester
so is that little thermo coupler the only option (outside of ice biomes) you have for direct heat dissipation? I sequester my power rooms and that's great. Keeps my base a nice temperature. But the temp in those rooms creeps up reliably. Nothing's overheated yet, but it obviously will. And what -little- i've read on reddit and stuff is all centered around ice biome cooling.

I've been trying different water cooling setups for ambient heat radiation. I gotta say, they all completely suck. So I guess you do radiant ventilation and hydrogen is the best heat exchanger?

I don't want to read/watch TOO much about endgame setups.. that turns into a game of "do what I saw on a letsplay" which is kinda anti-fun. But at this point, with the time investments it takes to get to a spot where you can experiment (and the window you have to experiment before stuff starts to go critical failure)...

Power generation is a real challenge. I like that. Well, you can generate a bunch of it real easy... but it hurts my soul for a coal gen to be running overnight with max charge batteries because my little derp went to bed AS he was turning it off. Probably need to just unlock a shitload of the tech tree before I even start building out at all, really. You can get your initial 3 self-sustaining within 10 days or so.

iannis

Musty Nester
those pics answer a question I had about the relative density of gasses. CO2 --> Chlorine --> O2 --> H, it looks like. And pO2 seems to gradually rise above O2, but it's a very small effect.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
pO2 is heavier than O2, but otherwise yes. CO2>Chlorine>Nat Gas>pO2>O2>Hydrogen

EDIT: Actually, pO2=O2, it will neither rise nor fall compared to each other except for airflow reasons!

iannis

Musty Nester
pO2 is heavier than O2, but otherwise yes. CO2>Chlorine>Nat Gas>pO2>O2>Hydrogen

EDIT: Actually, pO2=O2, it will neither rise nor fall compared to each other except for airflow reasons!

That's gotta be why it does it, I place my air outputs low. So very gradually p02 rises. It's good to know that it won't do it in a fairly stagnant volume, though.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So my setup ended up looking like this, I think it works out pretty well.

View attachment 185108

Yeah when I said a double layer of insulated tile, I literally meant a double thickness wall of insulated tile without any doors. no point in having that gap if it isn't a vacuum layer, it's just a waste of space, and doors dont really work when you're trying to keep volcano heat in.

Also be sure to sweep out all that debris or it will be more shit that absorbs heat/turns into magma until you get around to cooling that sumbitch.