Oxygen Not Included

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Goonsquad Officer
so is that little thermo coupler the only option (outside of ice biomes) you have for direct heat dissipation? I sequester my power rooms and that's great. Keeps my base a nice temperature. But the temp in those rooms creeps up reliably. Nothing's overheated yet, but it obviously will. And what -little- i've read on reddit and stuff is all centered around ice biome cooling.

I've been trying different water cooling setups for ambient heat radiation. I gotta say, they all completely suck. So I guess you do radiant ventilation and hydrogen is the best heat exchanger?

I don't want to read/watch TOO much about endgame setups.. that turns into a game of "do what I saw on a letsplay" which is kinda anti-fun. But at this point, with the time investments it takes to get to a spot where you can experiment (and the window you have to experiment before stuff starts to go critical failure)...

Power generation is a real challenge. I like that. Well, you can generate a bunch of it real easy... but it hurts my soul for a coal gen to be running overnight with max charge batteries because my little derp went to bed AS he was turning it off. Probably need to just unlock a shitload of the tech tree before I even start building out at all, really. You can get your initial 3 self-sustaining within 10 days or so.

are you using smart batteries? a smart battery and an automation cable to a coal generator will make you use SUBSTANTIALLY less fuel.

as for cooling there's a rather simple technique i use. basically if a substance can absorb heat before you destroy it, do so. that is to say that if you have pee water at 36 degrees you're going to convert to clean water anyway. make it swing by that heat, use conductive pipes to absorb heat (just don't go over 100 degrees) then convert it to water at 40. you'll create a heat absorbtion loop that never ends.

You can do the same with other substances. Most folks make chilled oxygen by having their oxygen pumps pass through a weezewort room full of hydrogen using conductive pipes. the oxygen (and hydrogen) gets very cold. get into the negatives if you can. the oxygen will ambiently spread where your dupes live. pipe your hydrogen to wherever your heat is ( power plants, forges, or oil biome). use conductive pipes to make that hydrogen as hot as you can before it gets annihilated to make power.

One thing i LOVE to do around things like the above gold volcano, is that if i'm going to vent a gas into space (chlorine, c02 early on), i'll make it pass by a volcano like that (just not TOO close or the pipe will melt), then vent that hot gas into space.

the heat game is very long term and centered around strategic deletion and insulation. Understanding the best heat exangers and capacity is also key. hydrogen is the best gas to absorb heat. all liquids absorb heat SUPER well but waters turn to steam which is ass. my personal favorate is oil. make it ice cold at an entropy machine or weezewart stack, then snake it to your hot stuff and back again.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
the heat game is very long term and centered around strategic deletion and insulation. Understanding the best heat exangers and capacity is also key. hydrogen is the best gas to absorb heat. all liquids absorb heat SUPER well but waters turn to steam which is ass. my personal favorate is oil. make it ice cold at an entropy machine or weezewart stack, then snake it to your hot stuff and back again.

Actually at the very late game steam is completely balls out broken for heat deletion.

iannis

Musty Nester
yeah, i'm just trying to build out too fast. Started a new game and keeping it simple it's kind of surprising how fast you can tech up. It's also surprising how much dirt it eats. I didn't notice before! Stupid dirt. And how you can actually manage to keep your base clean. Every game previous to this one there's just been shit littered everywhere, lol.

Like I had this massive switching station with batteries for controlling circuits. I had about 3k worth of potential draw running off 2 coal gens and it -mostly- worked... but I hadn't unlocked smart batteries or basic transformers. It's not like i'm exactly surprised that design was terribad or that it was impossible to cool it.

Thought it would be a little bit more of a spectrum where you build low tech things and gradually convert them into high tech variants. Doesn't work like that, really. Low tech variants are just... well, they're dogshit. Just not worth the time investment to build.

Basically i've been doing it wrong.

All you weird people playing on C temps instead of F temps. Needs more 'murica up in heah.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
using steam generators?

yes, steam turbines suck up sufficiently hot steam from below them and spit it out at a lower temperature up above, the excess heat is deleted. Wasn't useful as heat deletion until they added the ability to build machines out of steel/niobium/thermium. You pump the cooled steam back down below to be heated back up again with either gas pumps or an automation system involving a series of airlocks.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
wouldn't a second water shutoff only be 10w, instead of a door?
pO2 is heavier than O2, but otherwise yes. CO2>Chlorine>Nat Gas>pO2>O2>Hydrogen

EDIT: Actually, pO2=O2, it will neither rise nor fall compared to each other except for airflow reasons!
yes. pO2 is just usually below O2 because multiple sources of pO2 are on the ground.

polluted water, creates pO2. polluted dirt creates, pO2. A layer of clean water over pwater will stop this.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Hey guys,

I bought this because it sounded fun. Well I fired it up last night and 10 minutes later three hours had passed.

So anyway my bobs are lazy fucks. They stopped building things. Some are also freezing to death. Then they piss on the floor. Maybe I should build another toilet.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
yeah, that sounds about right.

"stopped building things"
several possible problems for that. 1. you have too many things set to be done at once. They are trying to dig, eat, sleep, build, farm, cook, and run generators all at the same time, and nothing is getting done.

Don't assign so many tasks at one time. Set some priority's. Streamline your base. Time spent running from point A to B, is time not actually doing a task. Set internal doors to always open. Build ladders, and firepoles in convenient locations. Similarly, plan your base around dupe movement. Bedrooms are once a day, can be "far". set washrooms/toilets in an easy to get location. Food near farm, storage near both. Direct path from farm>storage>cook>foodstorage

taking more dupes can help...but also taking too many, too fast, is certain doom for your colony. most advanced colonys rarely take more then 8-10dupes in their entire life.

iannis

Musty Nester
So after trying to play this new way where I chill out for the first 20 cycles or so and just tech up and drill minor exploratory tunnels.

yeah, it's a lot better. A lot better.

• 1Like

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Alright I've updated my setup a little bit, I really think the extra doors are helping.

20181206200655_1.jpg

• 1Like

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Dear god how do you people have your base so organized. Mine is a hole in the ground and it looks like a flock of birds shat on the map.

Also, how do you do wires & pipes? Can I just lay them in the tiles? It looks ugly as fuck whenever I put up something new that runs on electricity or water.

I am on cycle 60 or so and my dupes started to starve. Forgot to grab more algae, haven't done enough research to make them self sufficient. Can you speed up research times if you build more stations? Guess parallel research is a thing, but is it worth the effort?

I also ran out of water duh.

Plus I found a room with a neural something something and a few computers and stuff... is that special? It said there is new info in the journal but I didn't find that.

Anyway, addictive little game.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
You can lay t1 wires in tiles (1000 load ones). High tier ones you can, but the material cost to do it shoots so far up that I doubt it's worth hiding a trunk line that way. It sort of looks ugly-ish (kind of the aethetic of the game that your base is supposed to be a mass of exposed wires/pipes/ductwork) but it doesn't bother the derps any to have exposed plumbing/ventilation pipes. Decor value is 0 on that stuff.

Journal entries are up in the little book icon top right. I found them on accident. Some humorous game-lore in them. My log / emails / research notes.

Not sure if it speeds the time to have multiple researchers. It might, but the bottneck would be food generation. If you start with a dupe with a high learning skill (I rng'd one with 7 for one map... research just ZOOMED) you can significantly improve that speed. Khorum said he prefers athletics for his dupes, I favor learning. Athletics raises naturally (albeit slowly). Learning seems to be a stat that only active research will improve... and it effects all other stats.

And your very first research (took me a game or two to realize this) should be the jobs board. T1 jobs are basically free, and they give you a +2 stat buff to the relevant stat. Which the dupe keeps after he has mastered the job. He also keeps the morale requirement of the highest job he's taken though... so there's no dipping into a high buff job for a quick stat boost then dipping back down.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You absolutely cannot have exposed heavi-watt wire shitting up the decor inside of your base if you want to get into the higher morale requirement jobs. You don't want a lot of power-using objects inside your base anyway since they typically generate heat.

As for how our colonies look so neat and organized, lots of practice? Once you've gone through a couple failed colonies you tend to have a rough picture of what your colony is going to look like, and your wiring/plumbing layouts will get cleaner experience. Also, the simple and cleaner your layouts are the less likely things are to screw up and the easier they are to change. When I dig out the starter biome I'm already building my base with double or triple wide gaps for ladder + pole + tube system, even if it's gonna be a while before I build poles and a long ass time before I install a tube system.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, I haven't done trunk lines yet. But it looks like the plan for them materials wise is to make a small corridor specifically for that trunk line rather than trying to snake it in walls, and pull circuits off of that with transformers. I forget offhand, but it was something like 5x more expensive to build it in a wall than exposed.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You cannot run heavi-watt inside walls period, it has to be exposed. The only way to get it through a wall is with a heavi-watt joint plate.

iannis

Musty Nester
oh, the plate is a bridge? I misread it then, I thought the plate was a wall tile.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
It ends up working like a wall tile. Also you can turn doors sideways before laying them down... makes for some cool trapdoors that you can automate.

Goonsquad Officer
the logical way to use heavy watt wires is to have a "wire corridor" that no one goes into. inside is heavy watt wire, transformers, and a jangled mess of low watt wires that go to places you need them to go. I tend to also use this space for gas and liquid sorting before they go to their respective areas.

• 1Like