Ozark

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Down's is a spectrum. There are fully functioning members of society with Down's. They're, gasp, even in television shows with their own lines and shit. Just like autism, which it seems Bateman's character is on that spectrum, given he's nearly devoid of emotion response to situations, and deadpan delivery of intense lines of dialog. The son is also a fuckin' weirdo, and reminds me of Shane from Weeds.

Am I the only one who thinks the mom is the biggest piece of shit on the show, and Adama (from Caprica) has literally murdered several people?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Down's is a spectrum. There are fully functioning members of society with Down's. They're, gasp, even in television shows with their own lines and shit. Just like autism, which it seems Bateman's character is on that spectrum, given he's nearly devoid of emotion response to situations, and deadpan delivery of intense lines of dialog. The son is also a fuckin' weirdo, and reminds me of Shane from Weeds.

Am I the only one who thinks the mom is the biggest piece of shit on the show, and Adama (from Caprica) has literally murdered several people?
well there's a reason ppl are saying this feels like Breaking Bad w/ the cunt wife and the weirdo kid. And how Ruth is just like Jesse in that his daughter is such a disappointment, but this redneck bitch criminal has a pretty good head on her shoulders.

• 1Solidarity

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That's just every character Jason Batemen has ever played. I'm pretty sure he's not an actor. People just like his personality and wanted to put him on TV

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i don't have the slightest inkling of wtf the Hogan Family was even about, besides that show had no girls to oogle.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
did anyone else have to turn on closed captioning for when Snell was talking?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Burned through this. It was ok, not bad not not greatest of all time contender either. The hillbilly family was frustratingly stupid, so where the renecks who got fried. No one seems to have a concept of the stakes even when Marty just straight up tells them, which was refreshing for a show like this, but frustrating that it didn't seem to have an actual impact on how the characters acted. No one doubts that Marty works for some of the most dangerous people on the planet, and yet they cook up stupid fucking schemes to fuck him over. Enjoyable, all in all, if watch a s2.

Also, had to have a conversation with my wife about how pissed I would be if I was laundering cartel money and I send her away with a new identity and then she shows back up. Not ok, Laura Linney.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Had to stop watching this after 3 episodes. Other than Bateman, none of the characters are remotely likeable. Also, big chunks of plot are retardedly stupid.

• 2Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Khane

On episode 8 and really enjoying it. Love the sarcasm and bluntness of the characters.

• 2Solidarity

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Good show, agree that it has the shadow of BB but seems to have enough surprises on its own.

Favorite part:
When Marty told his cheating wife how much he enjoyed the satisfying thud of her boyfriend hitting the ground. Made me feel all warm inside!

Also:
I knew he would end up just baptizing the baby, that seemed just a little too dark. Although, you wanna get a warm blanket for that baby Pastor? Hypothermia gonna set up pretty quickly in that wet blanket.

• 2Solidarity

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Show drags around episodes 2-4 but it picks up and easily becomes one of the best shows of the year by the end. And great setup for some interesting future plots

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Another gripe I have with the show, I'm tired of the law enforcement guy "willing to break all the rules!!!!11!!" trope. I am not a lawyer, but I don't see how anything he did was legal or would have led to an epic, career-defining conviction. I get the redneck being too stupid to realize that the FBI guy had nothing on him. But Marty never would have fallen for that shit. Neither would Ruth. The partner just going along with it seems silly as fuck, as well. A lot of shows seem to do this, grant godmode hacks to law enforcement and turn them all into Brando from Apocalypse Now, except with magical detective abilities. It shouldn't bother me, it's just a show, whatever, but it being so front and center in this show was super distracting. The actor himself was good, but the writing for the part was not great.

And like, just have a fucking conversation. How many deaths could have been avoided (in this rural area of MO...) if Marty had just been like "Jacob, please, let's have a conversation. I just happen to work for people with an interest in what you do." or "Ruth, I understand you want money but if you steal this money then large Mexican men will come here and flay your cousins alive in front of you. Let's work together, you're a go-getter, and make some money". Fucking conversations.

I did like the wife's character, though. Unusual in shows like this. They had a fucked up relationship, and her coming back was a huge mistake, but it was nice of them to show a real partnership for once between a husband and wife team. In BB it always felt like Skylar was begrudgingly going along or held hostage, Wendy is on some "ride or die" shit, literally. And she gets shit done.

• 1Picard

Khane

And like, just have a fucking conversation. How many deaths could have been avoided (in this rural area of MO...) if Marty had just been like "Jacob, please, let's have a conversation. I just happen to work for people with an interest in what you do." or "Ruth, I understand you want money but if you steal this money then large Mexican men will come here and flay your cousins alive in front of you. Let's work together, you're a go-getter, and make some money". Fucking conversations.

Uh... you serious?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, the whole relationship with Jacob is he does something to piss Jacob off, tries to buy him off, does something to further piss off Jacob. He works for one of the largest cartels in the world and Jacob's business is drugs, but this never comes up until Jacob was probably moments from just feeding Marty to Wu's pigs. Marty tries to appeal to the rednecks by letting them know that his family will be murdered if they take that money or that they will always be on the run, he never frames it in terms of the danger they, personally, would be in, that's just glossed over. They pay lip service a couple of times to Ruth "learning to wash money" but we never see that, she's washing dishes one minute then managing the club the next. I expected to see more out of that storyline but it didn't happen.

• 1Picard

Khane

So dealing with drug dealers, killers and criminals is like dealing with a suburban housewife? Just gotta talk it out?

Someone needs to get this information down to Mexico. We could save thousands of innocent lives.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I would assume they talk through problems and work on solutions rather than just hold back key information until right before the point where they are about to be murdled, then swoop in with the master plan at the last possible moment. I'm not an expert, for sure, maybe this is exactly how criminal enterprises do business.

• 1Picard

Khane

Are you familiar with the phrase "necessity is the mother of invention?". Marty wasn't sitting on some master plan, he was making that shit up as he went and it was very, very obvious. He was improvising to stay alive.

And no, I would imagine you don't just sit down to talk about key synergies within organizations to figure out how you can maximize efficiency while shifting the dynamic with drug cartels chaos...

Oh, and he did warn them how dangerous the people he worked for were. He warned all of them, several times in fact.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, the whole relationship with Jacob is he does something to piss Jacob off, tries to buy him off, does something to further piss off Jacob. He works for one of the largest cartels in the world and Jacob's business is drugs, but this never comes up until Jacob was probably moments from just feeding Marty to Wu's pigs. Marty tries to appeal to the rednecks by letting them know that his family will be murdered if they take that money or that they will always be on the run, he never frames it in terms of the danger they, personally, would be in, that's just glossed over. They pay lip service a couple of times to Ruth "learning to wash money" but we never see that, she's washing dishes one minute then managing the club the next. I expected to see more out of that storyline but it didn't happen.

You saw Ruth basically go from her and her old man wanting to kill his ass and take the money to Ruth blatantly disobeying the "boss" hick father in jail, killing her brothers because she knows that she stands to gain more with working with Marty than having him dead and chased for the rest of her life. I thought they did a great job with that. He trusts her and sees her potential and hes becoming a sort of father she never had figure.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
You saw Ruth basically go from her and her old man wanting to kill his ass and take the money to Ruth blatantly disobeying the "boss" hick father in jail, killing her brothers because she knows that she stands to gain more with working with Marty than having him dead and chased for the rest of her life. I thought they did a great job with that. He trusts her and sees her potential and hes becoming a sort of father she never had figure.
Yeah, that and the relationship between Marty and Wendy were probably the strongest part of the show, imo. I wish we had seen more of that mentorship role, because while it's cool that they got close and she took charge of part of the operation, they never really sold that she was learning a craft from Marty that would enable her to deal with that money to begin with.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Just started and finished this in the past few days. Fucking awesome show. Best season of television Netflix has released with maybe the exception of the first House of Cards season.