Pacific Rim: Uprising (2018)

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Are the stars of this movie really the Star Wars guy and a 12 year old girl?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
Scott Eastwood too. Got to be like dad and make some stinkers early on before you become a big star I guess.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Movie is ready for the disaster. Projected estemates keep getting worse each day. This will probably be one of the biggest flops of the year, i dont even think china will let this pile take their money

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Eh, it'll do well in China, there's no reason why it wouldn't. Charlie days whole character is a big insult to smart Americans. There are apparently several scenes where he is trying to speak mandarin but he cant because he's too Charlie day. China will eat that up

Homsar

Pretty sure their dislike of black people will negate that

• 2Worf

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Went from definitely not watching in theater to definitely not putting any effort or money into it. If it hits freebie watch on Netflix or Hulu, then it gets a viewing. Not sure how they could fuck this up so badly but they must have been working hard on that part.

Homsar

Movie is projected for $20 million opening weekend with a production budget of 150 million... They are saying less than 50 million in the US alone after its run

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
How do you fuck this up so badly with $150m at your disposal?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Homsar

Im sure someone brought up the success of Star wars and Michael bays transformers and they said make it while disregarding all the history they had

Last edited:

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Here's a suggestion: make better movies. Or at least write better ones and let the directors be the ones to fuck it up.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
You hire a director who isn't Del Toro that has no understanding of the charm of the original and thinks it's just about making big explosions.
You forgot having the main character portrayed by someone whose only talent is their skin color.

• 2Picard

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Eh, it'll do well in China, there's no reason why it wouldn't...
151209103057-star-wars-china-racism-poster-exlarge-169.jpg

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Their choice of opening week is really bad. There's a big gap right now at the box office which could have been filled by something like this and done at least moderately well. Sandwiched in between A Wrinkle in Time and Ready Player One is just asking for a drubbing.

spronk

FPS noob
reviews are going up 71% on RT so far which is crazy higher than i expected lol
Pacific Rim Uprising

gonna see the first one tonight or tomorrow and then see the movie in IMAX on friday. The first one did terrible in USA but did crazy good in China so I am assuming the movie is going to be aimed more at asian tastes, which is fine by me no social commentary no long dialogue just weaboo anime monster fighting

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Dropping fast, 64% at the moment. As expected, ALL of the positive reviews are the same shit - "If you turn your brain off it's a good popcorn flick!"

Let's see...
"it's a fast movie. Too fast. I remember being confused by the plot, but I didn't really care - so long as the robots fought."

These movies can be fun once the colossal foes start grappling. They’re even more fun with fewer explanations and more explosions.

every genre fan likes watching monsters and cyborgs swinging skyscrapers at each other.

spronk

FPS noob
(re)watched Pacific Rim 1 last night at home, I'd rate that at a 7.5 - I love giant robots fighting giant monsters, so that'll always have a spot in my heart. Saw Pacific Rim 2 today in IMAX and I'd rate it at a soft 5.5/10. The only real saving grace of the movie is the last 40 minutes which is a lot of robot vs monster fighting, in broad daylight this time, and thats pretty freaking awesome. The first hour of the movie though is a real slog and mostly people dialogue'ing. Very bizarre choices. Honestly I'd say only go in to see the last 45 mins of the movie, you won't miss a damn thing. Even then only with MoviePass, its definitely not worth $10 or whatever.

I felt like subtly there were influences from the Chinese government in it, in the themes and presentations. Individuality and secrets are bad, work together as a team for the good of the world. Corporations can't be trusted, trust in leaders and government. Chinese individuals were the leaders and strategists and western folk the grunts basically. The final fight occurs in Tokyo and I thought that was interesting, I could just see crowds in China cheering as Tokyo is destroyed on screen (Japan invaded and raped China in WW2) and chinese people save Japan.

Boyega was pretty meh, he was funny and charming a few times exhibiting the TFA Finn personality but for most of the movie he was just sorta mumbling and unanimated, really very little on screen charisma. The white guy that was his sidekick was blander than oatmeal. The young girl was ok but it was just bad having so many young kids in the cast, it felt like a kids movie at times. The main chinese actress was pretty hot, although honestly in the first half of the movie she has her hair up in a bun and shit and then she lets it down off her shoulders in the second half and it took me a while to realize that its the same actress and not two different people.

This whole movie felt like it was designed so that at the end chinese audiences would all stand up and start yelling CHINA NUMBA ONE, CHINA NUMBA ONE like a PUBG lobby

• 2Worf