Pacific Rim: Uprising (2018)

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The Irish Jaeger.
FAMPJTQGD2JC8DU.MEDIUM.jpg

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I have Chuk blocked because his stupidity ruins every other tv/movie thread I see him post on - so it ABSOLUTELY CRUSHES ME that he is the one defending Pacific Rim, which I loved, on this thread (thanks to the people quoting him)

Olscratch

tour de salt
<Banned>
The characters in PacRim1 were really 2 dimensional and corny. The love story really shitted up the movie. I still give it an 8/10. Just what made them think people who enjoy robots fighting monsters wanted some lame ass love story taking up half the screen time?

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
but it really wasn't a love story. they didn't even kiss. it was more about 2 people developing a friendship instead of a love interest. I loved that.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Of course PR could have been better, that is not a question. There are plenty of minor things that could have been done to tighten it up. It is the best we've gotten so far in this genre, though, and I'll be damned if I won't get excited that another one is being made. Even if they make all the same mistakes as the last time, we'll at least be assured a fun movie full of gigantic beat-downs.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I have Chuk blocked because his stupidity ruins every other tv/movie thread I see him post on - so it ABSOLUTELY CRUSHES ME that he is the one defending Pacific Rim, which I loved, on this thread (thanks to the people quoting him)
lol look who keeps commenting on my posts even though they claim to have me on ignore. ignore means you no longer want to read my posts. if you keep commenting on them then you need to stop lying about having me on ignore ,you jagoff.

@Lithose
there was more than just "good cgi" to the film, there was a lot of fun stuff going on. Ron Perlman was hilarious, the kraut scientist, the asian chick and idris elba all were enjoyable. and 2001 a space odyssey is probably one of the most boring movies i have ever sat through. and yes i saw it in the 70s before star wars came out then i saw it again when i was older because maybe i didnt understand what was going on. nope still boring as hell and nonsensical toward the end. its just a stoner flick.

Olscratch

tour de salt
<Banned>
but it really wasn't a love story. they didn't even kiss. it was more about 2 people developing a friendship instead of a love interest. I loved that.
Pfft even worse, she didn't even get naked! Movie needed an R rating.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
2001 a space odyssey is probably one of the most boring movies i have ever sat through. and yes i saw it in the 70s before star wars came out then i saw it again when i was older because maybe i didnt understand what was going on. nope still boring as hell and nonsensical toward the end. its just a stoner flick.
While I know Lithose wasn't necessarily arguing that 2001 was a good movie (he was just talking about the special effects for the time), I have to agree that movie is boring as fuck and I have zero desire to ever see it again.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
It is a nice movie, but lacks the explanation the book has regarding the end. I have no idea, what Kubrick was thinking there. You cant possibly understand it without having read the books.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Like most Kubrick projects, he was so strung out on blow by the end that the last part of the movie turned into a giant acid trip. This is pretty much the pattern for all of his movies over the years. Even his best movie (Full Metal Jacket) ended on kind of a weird low note compared to the rest of the movie.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
While I know Lithose wasn't necessarily arguing that 2001 was a good movie (he was just talking about the special effects for the time), I have to agree that movie is boring as fuck and I have zero desire to ever see it again.
I'll be the first to say it, I enjoyed 2010 much more than 2001.

I rarely agree with Astro but Pacific Rim, while not perfect is certainly the type of film that you check your brain at the door and just enjoy the ride. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

I rarely agree with Astro but Pacific Rim, while not perfect is certainly the type of film that you check your brain at the door and just enjoy the ride. I'm looking forward to the next one.
I can do that, until you start insulting my intelligence by not paying some college kid at an anime festival $500 bucks and a Corndog to look it over and go 'I think the word you were looking for here was ______'.

I mean, I don't give a fuck when they talk about phase-variance in the tachyon pulse from the deflector array in Star Trek because it's mystical science shit that doesn't exist. But things like 'melt-down' of a nuclear reactor have been in the common lexicon since, I don't know, Three Mile Island in 1979? Don't tell me a giant robot built with computers and neural interfaces and plasma guns is run on tubes either. I have those in my amp. They glow like light bulbs and are hot. I saw none of them.

It's not like this is hard shit. Just call it "self-destruct". Instead of 'analog' say something like "it's the last operational Jaeger hardened for use alongside nuclear weapons, the only one that can withstand an EMP!". Instead of just whipping out deus-ex-sword say something like "we have to try this experimental plasma sword!!!".

I mean, the dialogue is stuff my best friend would have called me out on in some 7th grade creative writing class. Shit.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I can do that, until you start insulting my intelligence
So what you actually mean is "no, I'm incapable of checking my brain at the door and turning off my intelligence - here's a stupid wall of text to explain why"

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

I think I agree with this, but also with Lithose. I wanted more, we could have had more, but we didn't get it and that is disappoint.

But hey, what we got was a good, mindless action movie.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
It's not like this is hard shit. Just call it "self-destruct". Instead of 'analog' say something like "it's the last operational Jaeger hardened for use alongside nuclear weapons, the only one that can withstand an EMP!". Instead of just whipping out deus-ex-sword say something like "we have to try this experimental plasma sword!!!".
L O L

Karloff_sl

shitlord
I look at movies this way... I've got a family, job, kid and dog, I've got plenty to stress about during the day so with most movies and tv shows I'm checking my brain at the door, sitting back and just enjoying the show. If the movie completely insults my intelligence I won't watch it again. I try and keep it simple.

I'm much less forgiving when it comes to books but that's just me.

So while movies like Pacific Rim have plot holes that I can drive a semi through, I'd just prefer to enjoy it and not ruin my day.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm mostly the same way. I remember a few years back there was a movie about a couple going through a difficult divorce. That's it, that was essentially the whole premise of the trailer. Why in the fuck would I want to watch that? Sure, it might end up with a positive message at the end, or some humorous segments, or maybe even some great titties, but I don't want to be depressed as fuck for the majority of the movie. And I've never even been married, let alone divorced!

I don't mind a deep, thought-provoking movie at times, but sometimes there's nothing wrong with just being entertained.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
This is the difference: Movies like Pacific Rim are simple, crowd pleasing ventures meant to stimulate the inner child and satisfy the innate primal urge to see giant things fight giant things, while movies like Prometheus pretend to be this clever, overwrought idea of a film that ends up being far more retarded and disrespectful to its viewers than movies like Pacific Rim.

Does PR have problems and plot-holes, needless deus ex machina and Jax Teller Jax-walking through the entire movie? Yes. Does it have giant mechs fighting humongous bastard monsters? Yes. While I wanted PR to be the better movie it could have been, GDT gave us giant mechs fighting humongous bastard monsters, so in the end, I think it's a great movie. I never once cared what the meatsacks were doing when not inside their war machines. Not once. You know why? Because I'm not a faggot with a notepad pointing out the inaccuracies in the dialogue of a movie featuring giant mechs fighting humongous bastard monsters.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I think I agree with this, but also with Lithose. I wanted more, we could have had more, but we didn't get it and that is disappoint.

But hey, what we got was a good, mindless action movie.
i don't think it was a mindless action movie. it had some action in it but not enough of it. we would need Michael Bay equivalent of action spam for this movie to be justified as a mindless action movie. Instead, we wasted something like a third of movie on character building and shit. Del Toro overplayed his shit card.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
Think Beef is pretty much correct, I know I didn't go into Pacific Rim thinking it anything other than a movie with giant robots beating up giant monsters , this was my childhood watching wpix channel 11 in ny, which ran the old Godzilla stuff non-stop. It definitely spoke to my inner child. Sure it could have been better but ...

Hell I went out and spent $400+ on a gypsy statue I've got zero room for in my house.

Prometheus was one of those movies that should have been much more than it was, almost like the sum of its parts were greater than the whole but I still enjoyed it. That also speaks on the lack of decent sci-fi movies out.