Pacific Rim

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I think I could fix almost all of my problems with the film with a fan edit. If you took out like 20-30 minutes of deadwood it could be really, really great.

fucker_sl

shitlord
You really really really had to turn your brain off on the "Wall of Life"

A wall covering miles and miles and miles of pacific coastline
vs.
gee I dunno, some sort of wall centered directly around the rift

A wall covering all the pacific coastline that the monsters could just...go around?

A wall made of what appeared to be just a bunch of steel and concrete...

Jaegers decommissioned before the thing is even finished?

Jesus why even bother with that subplot. Holy shit.
to give us a reason why the jaeger program was scraped, so we end with just 4 jaeger in the movie

now, i want Pacific Rim 2, where the aliens open multiple portals and send those "real destroyers" the stupid scientist mentioned, so we can fight with jaeger 2.0 that are a cybernetic mix of jaeger1.0 technology AND kaiju biology

(.........piloted by depressed 14 years old kids.....)

[.....and to make them move the jaeger must have the pilots' mother soul inside it....]

{.....yes, yes.... i'm going to sit in that dark corner and be quiet for a while......}

fucker_sl

shitlord
wait what? do i need to go and watch NGA again?
yes you do. While EVA is full of unclear and ambiguous things, this is stated multiple time during the serie and is one of the most important elements of the story. Both Shinji's mother and Asuka's mother are inside their EVA

Rei doesnt need it because she's half angel

all Shinji's classmates are candidate pilots and infact they are all orphans

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
just finished this. was a lot of fun. some good acting. some bad acting and quite a few plotholes or nitpicks. im sure they were all covered here so ill just say, good popcorn flick. now bring me my fucking Hellboy 3!

Spark

Golden Knight of the Realm
Saw this today and I gotta say, it's a damn fine action movie. I'm not going to critique the acting or the dialogue etc because that's not what a movie like this is made for. As was mentioned before, I wish there had been more Russian/Chinese robot action but there was plenty of Gipsy Danger asskicking to make up for it. Special effects were fantastic and the lighting at night was not an issue for me. Also, there are plenty of things the trailers did not show and the robots had some pretty awesome weaponry. Will definitely be buying on Blu-ray.

This movie had such a poor opening weekend. I doubt it will hit 100 million domestically and that is sad. In the meantime, Transformers 4, 5, and 6 will continue to make the big bucks......gotta love it.

to give us a reason why the jaeger program was scraped, so we end with just 4 jaeger in the movie

now, i want Pacific Rim 2, where the aliens open multiple portals and send those "real destroyers" the stupid scientist mentioned, so we can fight with jaeger 2.0 that are a cybernetic mix of jaeger1.0 technology AND kaiju biology

(.........piloted by depressed 14 years old kids.....)

[.....and to make them move the jaeger must have the pilots' mother soul inside it....]

{.....yes, yes.... i'm going to sit in that dark corner and be quiet for a while......}
Yeah, if anything this movie shows how good a live action Neon Genesis could be. They could make a trilogy out of therebuild series. Not sure how well the ending would go over in the US though ... Of course there would also be the "omg Pacific Rim ripoff" derpers.

fucker_sl

shitlord
Yeah, if anything this movie shows how good a live action Neon Genesis could be. They could make a trilogy out of therebuild series. Not sure how well the ending would go over in the US though ... Of course there would also be the "omg Pacific Rim ripoff" derpers.
there is no way and shape that NGE could be translated into an live action movie. Its storyline and themes are simply not adequate for live action. Let it stay in the anime world with its less strict limit of narration

and also....Rebuild is a fucking travesty

Vinen

God is dead
there is no way and shape that NGE could be translated into an live action movie. Its storyline and themes are simply not adequate for live action. Let it stay in the anime world with its less strict limit of narration

You should go hang out with Sean in the other games forum.

Just wondering, but what's wrong with the Rebuild? Aside from looking better visually, it was much better paced due to tighter editing. Half of some of the original episodes were just 15 minutes worth of Shinji whining during inner monologues.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This was an interesting movie. Holy plot holes and WTF?? moments though. This movie could have literally been in Russian and I would have gotten the same enjoyment from it. I went in with the idea that it was just a Godzilla movie. That worked pretty well as I enjoyed most of the fight scenes and the special effects were top notch. As I am sure they have been covered, I am not going to bother critiquing things like the wall, the swords being pulled out after they used the ship, or a 50 foot monster giving a damn about a little girl. I will just let this movie be the WWF with 50 foot+ monsters that it was.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
they didn't really say anything about it, but it's entirely possible that they did some rebuilding of gypsy danger after it got torn apart in the beginning. they did specifically mention it had some upgrades, though that seemed to be more of a throw away line simply to re-introduce raliegh to his old engineer buddy? it's possible that raliegh simply didn't even know the swords were there. raliegh strikes me as the kind of guy to scoff at someone telling him what gypsy danger could do. "screw off, i piloted her for years. i know already!"

though, that's just me making an attempt for why that entire sequence happened the way it did outside of DRAMA!

and the kaiju chasing little mako? i just saw it as that she was literally the only thing moving. why wouldn't the kaiju chase her?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
If the first monster attacked San Francisco, why the hell are they called "kaiju" and not "monsters"? Likewise, if Germany didn't build a god damned thing why are the robots called "jaegers" and not "hunters" or whatever??? This has ruined the movie for me.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
If the first monster attacked San Francisco, why the hell are they called "kaiju" and not "monsters"? Likewise, if Germany didn't build a god damned thing why are the robots called "jaegers" and not "hunters" or whatever??? This has ruined the movie for me.
http://en.bab.la/dictionary/english-german/jaeger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiju

...the same reasons most things that aren't called whatever they look like or the the purpose the have I would assume. Like there's an older, less silly, or just cooler sounding analog in another language. Why is a large at Starbucks called a Venti? Because it's a 20oz drink so it's logical and it "sounds classier" than saying large.

I mean if it's really ruining the movie for you we can say it's because the lead designer on the first jaeger was german and since the first jaeger was made by an asian nation it's only natural the first news reports involved an asian person saying "kaiju jaeger". Monster Hunter is probably trademarked in the films world too so it only makes sense for it to be jaeger kaiju if you think about it. So I guess there may have been a trademark infringment lawsuit at some point. Because Lawyers is why apparently.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
and the kaiju chasing little mako? i just saw it as that she was literally the only thing moving. why wouldn't the kaiju chase her?
Well, that was her memory. It might not be what happened at all. She was a young child who had an traumatic experience bordering on mythic proportions. Maybe that's how she remembers it, a completely empty city and a gigantic monster chasing just her.