Pacific Rim

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
So how did the more popular American flick Grown Ups 2 turn out overseas?
I thought you were being sarcastic . . . so I checked.

Pacific Rim - From Wikipedia:

As of August 18, 2013, Pacific Rim has grossed $98,401,000 in North America, and has had a favourable foreign release, grossing $286,000,000 in other countries, for a worldwide total of $384,401,000 .[2]

So in North America yes GU2 has made more money than Pacific Rim . . .

Thanks to Neki for the GU2 figures that show that at least the rest of the world isn't buying into the Adam Sandler movies.

Goatface

to be a little fair, grownups2 will earn another maybe another 40mil foreign, as it still has a dozen countries left for release.
think Adam is getting more popular world wide as Happy and Billy are both around 95% Domestic
while Jack and Jill, Domestic: $74,158,157 49.5% + Foreign: $75,515,631 50.5%

Eorkern

Bronze Squire
GU2 will do shit overseas, if people want to see shitty movies, they want to see local shitty actors in it.

Thorpe

Lord Nagafen Raider
'Pacific Rim' called American propaganda in China

"The decisive battle against the monsters was deliberately set in South China Sea adjacent to Hong Kong.? He added, "The intention was to demonstrate the U.S. commitment to maintaining stability in the Asia-Pacific area and saving the mankind."
rolleyes.png

Itzena_sl

shitlord
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...00+BSW20130830
Guillermo del Toro's widely praised action adventure "Pacific Rim" has crossed $400 million dollars at the worldwide box office, becoming the director's highest grossing film ever. The announcement was made today by Veronika Kwan Vandenberg, President, International Distribution and Dan Fellman, President, Domestic Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures; and Legendary Pictures.
Someone at Variety isn't going to get paid.

fucker_sl

shitlord
your comment reminded me of the Variety article that predicted a flop for no apparent reason. I google it trying to find it and i found not 1, but half dozen articles in the spam of 1 month all nerdraging about this movie.

what's with the hate ?

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Grown Ups 2 to hit Australian cinemas 26th Sept.

In an effort to avert this tragedy the people of Australia had constructed a 500 foot wall along the Eastern coastline. It was hoped that this barrier could prevent the entry of the much feared sequel. After the experience of the original Grown ups and the destructive power that Grown Ups 2 had in the US cinemas, all efforts were put into the barrier's construction.

Unfortunately Grown Ups 2 was able to easily push through the barrier aided by the weight of bloated returns from its US box office.

God help us all!

Goatface

Pacific Rim Now Ranks As 2013's Highest-Grossing, Live-Action Original Film
Pacific Rim earned $407.3 million worldwide. Currently, it is the 10th-highest-grossing film worldwide in 2013. ..... ?Of the nine films ranked ahead of Pacific Rim worldwide, eight of them were either sequels or based on pre-existing books or comic book characters. The Croods was the only brand new intellectual property, and it was an animated film. Pacific Rim was the highest grossing live action movie worldwide based on a brand new intellectual property.?

in other news
Grown Ups 2
Domestic: $131,331,960 58.1%
+ Foreign: $94,900,000 41.9%
= Worldwide: $226,231,960

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
When are people going to learn that sometimes it is ok to accept that massive explosions and giant robots, without any kind of sophisticated, supporting storyline is a completely reasonable means to make a profit.

I do believe Pacific Rim is a far superior movie than any of the Transformer movies but it does not matter how horrible the movie, if I get to see Optimus Prime, with Peter Cullen's voice beat the crap out of other giant robots then I will give that movie props for exactly what it has set out to do. These movies are not setting out to be epics, they want to attract an audience and entertain them.

Good for Pacific Rim. I thought it was a good movie myself but I did enter in with the aforementioned expectations of satisfactory robot vs monster carnage... nothing more, nothing less.

Column_sl

shitlord
Fuck this movie, I have no clue how Del Toro gets a pass when he makes the same exact shitty movies as Bay.

He should just stick to Indie films which is the only thing he excels at.

Juvarisx

Florida
Expecting him to understand that the lack of cynicism behind this movie made it leaps better then any Bay monstrosity is asking a little too much anyways