Pacific Rim

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Just got home from watching this.

I haven't read through this thread as I try to avoid spoilers or even hints. I will probably go through it now.

Was a strong enough movie, but found the action scenes were too 'full' visually, which just made it confusing/hard too read. Just the high amount of visual movement and complexity onscreen. Long sections of the character development and dialogue felt dull and 'cookie-cutter'. There were moments that helped to redeem, such as when we saw Mako (sp?) as a little girl as her city got destroyed and got a look into her personal trauma. That sort of stuff worked well.

Oh and a side note, as an Australian, having non-Australians trying to do to speak like an Aussie . . . doesn't work. It makes us cringe, never comes out right. I think you'll find plenty of Australian actors looking for roles in Hollywood. I'm pretty sure there's more than a few.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Just got home from watching this.

I haven't read through this thread as I try to avoid spoilers or even hints. I will probably go through it now.

Was a strong enough movie, but found the action scenes were too 'full' visually, which just made it confusing/hard too read. Just the high amount of visual movement and complexity onscreen. Long sections of the character development and dialogue felt dull and 'cookie-cutter'. There were moments that helped to redeem, such as when we saw Mako (sp?) as a little girl as her city got destroyed and got a look into her personal trauma. That sort of stuff worked well.

Oh and a side note, as an Australian, having non-Australians trying to do to speak like an Aussie . . . doesn't work. It makes us cringe, never comes out right. I think you'll find plenty of Australian actors looking for roles in Hollywood. I'm pretty sure there's more than a few.
I think they purposely made the accents bad to be honest.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
well more then half of the movie is set in hong kong, and Faulty Armors love robots. they were all ching chonging in the imax 3d showing i was at.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
it was a big hit in South Korea and Russia. East Asia is loving it.

We will just have to wait for Japan and Brazil.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've got a cousin who works as a compositor at ILM(Lucas' special effects house, did Pacific Rim effects, half the reason I hate the "OMG America so bad thanks China!" bullshit) and apparently they just got some very early storyboards for Pacific Rim 2. I wasn't gonna share these shots(grainy shit phone cam=/) but apparently some friend of his leaked them so they'll be hitting the usual sites in the next day or two anyways. So...I mean...I guess try not to leak the source please.

Don't expect much, very early sketches but you get a rough idea how some of the new Jaegers and monsters will look.

tumblr_mqxv5j7Oyq1rtvb79o1_500.gif

I'm pretty pumped.

fucker_sl

shitlord
I've got a cousin who works as a compositor at ILM(Lucas' special effects house, did Pacific Rim effects, half the reason I hate the "OMG America so bad thanks China!" bullshit) and apparently they just got some very early storyboards for Pacific Rim 2. I wasn't gonna share these shots(grainy shit phone cam=/) but apparently some friend of his leaked them so they'll be hitting the usual sites in the next day or two anyways. So...I mean...I guess try not to leak the source please.

Don't expect much, very early sketches but you get a rough idea how some of the new Jaegers and monsters will look.

I'm pretty pumped.
ok i admit it....i fell for it.....

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

I'm pretty pumped.
would have been better if elbow rocket to make punches harder was added

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Just putting this out, probably pretty obvious but:

Since the monsters came through a rift (the throat - I think they called it) between their dimension and ours. That was an actual location on the sea floor . . . couldn't we ( the humans ) have built a series of Bad-ass gun turret things that would be placed on the sea floor, pointed at the rift and ready to blast anything as it came through. We saw that future humans have a variety of advanced weapons fitted to the Jaegers. These could be fitted into the turrets as a much easier build.

Yeah but the answer is that then there wouldn't be much need for the close up fist-fighting between mechs and monsters.

fucker_sl

shitlord
Just putting this out, probably pretty obvious but:

Since the monsters came through a rift (the throat - I think they called it) between their dimension and ours. That was an actual location on the sea floor . . . couldn't we ( the humans ) have built a series of Bad-ass gun turret things that would be placed on the sea floor, pointed at the rift and ready to blast anything as it came through. We saw that future humans have a variety of advanced weapons fitted to the Jaegers. These could be fitted into the turrets as a much easier build.

Yeah but the answer is that then there wouldn't be much need for the close up fist-fighting between mechs and monsters.
STOP BRINGING LOGIC TO THIS THREAD!!!!

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hey why didn't the eagles just carry the ring to Mt. Doom? Why don't the bad guys just shoot James Bond as soon as they capture him? Why don't the couples in romantic comedies just talk out the obvious misunderstanding? Why didn't Haley Joel Osment tells Bruce Willis he was a ghost right away?

You want a bunch of 15 minute movies? Fuck off and eat your popcorn!