Pacific Rim

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Just saw it for the first time. Holy shit at the stupid shit in it, but at least they try to make sure you realize it's a light film. Shit like the punch into the office building slightly tapping the newton's cradle, ron perlman's character (especially the last part he's in, and then the second last part), etc. It's like the gundam version of the expendables. Prometheus wasn't like that. Hell the story involved Jesus Christ being one of the aliens. It's like trying to compare Alexander to 300.

redbandana

Molten Core Raider
Just watched it. I thought it was pretty decent. Some things made me scratch my head, like for example, why didn't every robot have an awesome sword? Why didn't every robot just start plasma cannoning the monsters from far away? Why were there no active Kaiju army(sp?) protectors back on home world base or what not? I get it, it's just a movie. It was pretty cool and the monsters were great. My step son is going to love it.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just watched it. I thought it was pretty decent. Some things made me scratch my head, like for example, why didn't every robot have an awesome sword? Why didn't every robot just start plasma cannoning the monsters from far away? Why were there no active Kaiju army(sp?) protectors back on home world base or what not? I get it, it's just a movie. It was pretty cool and the monsters were great. My step son is going to love it.
Better yet, why not have a shit load of Jaegars + Stations setup at the breach so whenever something came through you instantly vaporized it.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Better yet, why not have a shit load of Jaegars + Stations setup at the breach so whenever something came through you instantly vaporized it.
Spoken like an EQer
smile.png
Camp the shit!

Just finished watching it myself. Can't blame the actors, seemed they did the best of it (though the boss was a bit too eager to shout everything), but I absolutely see the issues people have with dialogue. That is a valid complaint. The characters are extremely one dimentional, no growth and you go into every scene pretty much knowing what will be said next. Think I would have enjoyed it more at the movies, on a TV though it was meh to ok. Decent action, but yeah, lots of questions as to what they did/did not do in regards to fighting and equipping the robots. Also, in the end, no shit you can't find his pulse, you are wearing a hard plastic/metal suit, covering your fingers.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yes, the characters were fairly simple. and there was very little development. and again, why do i care? i wanted a fun movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. i got that in spades. i'm all for movies growing outside their own constraints and becoming something different... but there's a whole lot to be said for something, anything, knowing exactly what it is and reveling in it.

if i wanted an airtight plot that includes every character running the gamut of development, i'd go see a scorsese film or a kubric film or something... what i WANTED to see, was a kaiju film. and i did. and i enjoyed every last second of it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
currently watching sons of anarchy made me think of pacific rim again, i'd blame pacific rim on all the white actors. rinko wasn't bad i guess, but the little japanese girl that played her was awesome, holy crap when the best acting of a movie is by a 8 year old japanese girl that just runs and screams, the actors are bad.

Charlie hunnam is just bad in anything except sons of anarchy, he just cannot connect with other actors. He was in some b-movie with olivia wilde and he was crappy there too.

sadly this got brought up cuz my wife was talkin about movie news and she's like whose this charlie hunnam casted for 50 shades of grey?

i'm like some here, i found the russians and chinese way more interesting than the americans or aussies.

mysterion_sl

shitlord
late to the gig, but finally watched it too, and was suprised that it was quite (what i like to call) "internally consistent". Not that there were a bunch of dumb shit happening, but less than i expected.
major criticism would be that you could have edited matrix 3, independence day, godzilla and that robot boxing movie into one new movie and it would be waaaaay cheaper and not that much worse than pacific rim.
the ending i would have liked to see: while the shatterdome was celebrating and rescuing the heros they would detect another breach and a whole army of cat5 monsters come through, destroying the world. no more happy endings in hollywood. fuck you.

ps: if you have a sword capable of killing monsters in one stroke you better keep that well hidden and use it only as a last ditch effort after 15 minutes of h2h combat.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
i watched it again and the viewing experience was way better with Mako out of the picture. No white knighting, no drama, no bullshit.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
ps: if you have a sword capable of killing monsters in one stroke you better keep that well hidden and use it only as a last ditch effort after 15 minutes of h2h combat.
This really irked me. Through the whole movie I was wondering why they wouldn't make weapons to go with these giant robots... oh, turns out they're just waiting for a convenient moment.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Makes sense. If you watch Power Rangers, they never break out their ultimate weapon until after they almost lose during an extended formulatic series of events and combat only to then one shot whoever they are fighting.

It must be how it's done.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well he was pretty clear that it was a big homage to Japanese mecha shit, so it makes sense that it would happen that way. And be retarded.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
yeah, that seemed kind of odd. maybe it uses up a lot of their resources, or ya know maybe its just to amp up the coolness factor like with the flying kaiju at the end.

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
This really irked me. Through the whole movie I was wondering why they wouldn't make weapons to go with these giant robots... oh, turns out they're just waiting for a convenient moment.
The point wasn't to hold it back for a glory shot, it was that they were facing an enemy that was learning and adapting to them. The battle in the harbor showed as much, the two kaiju had specific weapons to take out the jaegers. Using the sword meant the aliens now knew about it and that was shown in the movie. Soon as they popped the swords at the final battle in the rift, they got blitzed from behind and that very arm was torn right off.
Only reason they won the final fight was because Striker went for the suicide bomb, which the kaiju didn't expect, and Gypsy used its chest exhaust as a weapon, another tactic they hadn't done before. Otherwise they were fighting a battle outmanned and in a bad enviroment for the jaegers

mysterion_sl

shitlord
The point wasn't to hold it back for a glory shot, it was that they were facing an enemy that was learning and adapting to them. The battle in the harbor showed as much, the two kaiju had specific weapons to take out the jaegers. Using the sword meant the aliens now knew about it and that was shown in the movie. Soon as they popped the swords at the final battle in the rift, they got blitzed from behind and that very arm was torn right off.
Only reason they won the final fight was because Striker went for the suicide bomb, which the kaiju didn't expect, and Gypsy used its chest exhaust as a weapon, another tactic they hadn't done before. Otherwise they were fighting a battle outmanned and in a bad enviroment for the jaegers
only in that fight they had a sword for each arm, so if the monsters only learn stuff after being defeated how would the know about the 2nd sword? and what's up with the "we gonna start with the weakest of our troops" approach anyway. if you're capable of building a cat5 go fucking send that shit, not 5 years of cat1-2.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
sword can easily be explained by, japanese girl upgrading jaegers, soa guy takes the lead in fighting and expends all of gipsy dangers (pre-upgrade) weapons, japanese girl goes, oh i added this and GDT loves big sword from the sky homage.

i don't think cat 1-5 in jaegers is power level but rather, roll-out time.

just like rolling out a 2011 civic then a 2012 civic and the 2013 civic. I mean of course the cat5 will be more advanced/powerful but that doesn't mean cat 1's suxors, the russians were running a cat one and they had the best record b4 they ate it.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
Why not just equip the Jaegers with fuck-off big railguns. Seemed a bit daft they developed these uber mechs that synced two people's brains and then resort to punching the shit out of everything or when it did have a weapon it took so long to charge up even the dumbest of shits worked out you had to smash the glowy thing before it goes boom.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
yep

Evangelion_Unit-01_sniping_(Rebuild).png

Manufacturing ammo for this shit would cost way less than building a new Jaeger every few months
i imagine they tried this from the first time they arrived, ya know since they didnt have jaegers already to go. they found that shooting shit at the water doesnt do very much unless you surface and then when they do you have to hit them and have the rounds be powerful enough to pierce their skin. then there is how do you get over there to make the shot. yeah so while you are aiming your uber rifle, your vehicle gets attacked and then you die. eventually the vehicle that brings the massive gun evolved into a massive armed robot which in itself is a weapon.