Pacific Rim

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
i like how the logical alternative scenario presented here is a giant mech suit aiming a gun.

Why the fuck do you need a mech suit to aim a gun.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
i imagine they tried this from the first time they arrived, ya know since they didnt have jaegers already to go. they found that shooting shit at the water doesnt do very much unless you surface and then when they do you have to hit them and have the rounds be powerful enough to pierce their skin. then there is how do you get over there to make the shot. yeah so while you are aiming your uber rifle, your vehicle gets attacked and then you die. eventually the vehicle that brings the massive gun evolved into a massive armed robot which in itself is a weapon.
Are you joking? You don't need to attempt to explain the logic holes in Pacific Rim. There are no possible explanations for them, the movie requires you simply to ignore them.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Why not just equip the Jaegers with fuck-off big railguns. Seemed a bit daft they developed these uber mechs that synced two people's brains and then resort to punching the shit out of everything or when it did have a weapon it took so long to charge up even the dumbest of shits worked out you had to smash the glowy thing before it goes boom.
Because Jaeger blood is toxic waste & bullets/explosives/etc. spray it all over.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I finally watched it. Great movie. Exactly what I wanted out of a giant-robots-fight-giant-alien-monsters movie. Sure there are plot holes and stuff, I don't care.

So much better than Prometheus, it hurts. People keep talking sequel but it doesn't seem like they left a lot of room for that in the story unless they just want to retell the same story again. The millions year old portal is fucked, the alien leaders are at least hurting right now, humanity won, game over.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Its easy to come up with a sequel. Kaiju + Jaegers vs Godzilla. Godzilla 2014 comes out and starts wrecking everything. The Jaegers themselves are no match. So instead, they open a rift themselves and team up with the Kaiju to take down the transdimensional scourge Godzilla.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought his hints were towards our jaeger/kaiju hybrids invading their world.
Implication seems to be how fucker views it, and if I recall right he even suggested it before GDT mentioned it=P

Guillermo del Toro Reveals Massive Monster Plan for 'Pacific Rim 2' | Movie News | Movies.com

"I'll tell you a couple of things. We will have Gipsy 2.0 for sure. Second thing is you're gonna see a merging of Kaiju and Jaeger. And that is quite special.

Just think about it for a second. We sent Gipsy to the other side, right? It exploded, but whatever remains stays there. We've drifted with a Kaiju brain. Well, then start riffing on that and you'll get to something."

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The jaeger that went through blew the fuck up though, the reverse really makes more sense.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
it should just be a prequel of the russian couple and the chinese triplets kickin ass, there shouldn't be a single word of english, except probably "oh shit". Of course a prequel means they both come out alive, but whatever. NO AUSSIES! and really... we have to have the japanese jaegers, which out of respect should just be call gundams, i read they were less armored, but swifter to cut more.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
The jaeger that went through blew the fuck up though, the reverse really makes more sense.
Yeah it was a proper nuclear detonation too. Can't really see much chance of picking through the debris and finding enough usable parts to be able to re-assemble . . . sort of anything.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Implication seems to be how fucker views it, and if I recall right he even suggested it before GDT mentioned it=P

Guillermo del Toro Reveals Massive Monster Plan for 'Pacific Rim 2' | Movie News | Movies.com

"I?ll tell you a couple of things. We will have Gipsy 2.0 for sure. Second thing is you?re gonna see a merging of Kaiju and Jaeger. And that is quite special.

Just think about it for a second. We sent Gipsy to the other side, right? It exploded, but whatever remains stays there. We?ve drifted with a Kaiju brain. Well, then start riffing on that and you?ll get to something."
rrr_img_46345.jpg

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i don't remember who said it but they nailed it. the movie is internally consistent. it is consistent to what it sets up as the rules of that movie's universe. if you are comparing it to the rules of OUR universe, you're going to run into a bunch of problems. for starters, mechs can't and won't exist. there's a reason why the larger dinosaurs spent 90% of their life underwater. because gravity does not affect mass linearly. That's why a spider can lift 10x it's body weight but humans are considered at their peak when they can lift 1x their body weight. a mech that big would literally crush it's own legs the first time it's stabilizing clamps were off. but that would make for a stupid movie.

in reality, you wouldn't have a singular mech. you'd have several mobile defense weapons platforms that you could launch aircraft from. in the pacific rim universe, that doesn't work because f-22's apparently have a 100 foot striking distance. there's no reason why those jets were ANYWHERE close to being melee'd, other than to demonstrate that that doesn't work in their universe.

almost every single nit-pick that people have with this movie can be answered with the idea of internal consistency. the acting complaints are vaild, to a point. i personally found it charming and campy. Charlie Hunnam was fine. he wasn't excellent and he didn't suck. he was average.

fucker_sl

shitlord
infact the only thing i complain about is how the hong kong battle played out. I mean...who sends the weakest jaegers against the very first double-kaiju incursio while at the same time keeps the one Jaeger that litterally rips CAT-4 kaijus appart just far enought to NOT provide any kind of support

tactically speaking the marshal should have been removed from his command on the spot. If that's how they fought the war, i understand how they went from 30 to 4 jaeger in the matter of 7 years (considering there were 2/3 incursion at year that's losing more than one with each fight). With 30 jaegers at your disposal there is no reason to not double/triple any of them

sure it was the way to show how gypsy is badass but seriously.....

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
well the whole hong kong battle is just too "perfect", gipsy is supposed to be grounded, striker is supposed to stay behind, b/c (why is striker the only one again? cuz it's digital not analogue?) striker has to carry the nuke payload. But 2 hot headed aussie pilots who were told to stay back cuz if they don't the whole entire plan and reason that they even got 8 months of funding (well the general guy could do whatever he wanted, and this was what he wanted) was to throw a nuke in the rift and only with striker.

then when the only jaeger is in peril, they send the team that almost plasma cannon'd the entire base, with the two most seemingly unmatched pilots. a self loathing white guy and a revenge crazy japanese teen, who seems to be the project lead on jaeger upgrades.

every other team we see has deep bonds or blood relations.

emo white guy had his brother b4 he got wtf ripped away.

the asians are all triplets

the russians are husband/wife

the new striker team is father/son

the old striker team is the father and the general who i guess has no emotions.

even Avatar with blue cat aliens at least said "oh your brother died, your handicapped, but whatever, you got similar DNA".

but emo white guy and innocent revenge crazy japanese teen girl are a good pairing somehow.