Pacific Rim

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's really about what ppl remember and the medium (tv) in which we watched stuff. In the 80's we got robotech(macross), transformers and voltron (lion and vehicle), these were the morning and afternoon shows, i think (it's all really hazy, i'm old). as far as saturday morning line up, i don't even believe there was a giant robo cartoon but the afternoon is where godzilla (along with other 80's staples like conan and stuff) would play, there would even be godzilla marathons for the holidays i think for like labor day?

i think it basically boiled down to what networks were able to aquire what rights to stuff, fox had saban which seemed to aquire as much giant robo as they could. I have no idea which networks played the other giant robo cartoons like robotech/voltron. (i don't think gundam was ever show in the us in the 80's early 90's, but i think wing gundam was, that's why that's popular)

then we had adult swim/cartoon network and they showed lots of anime/giant robo as much as they could get their hands on from 95 to 2003?

Things really started heating up around 94 that''s when saban bought some kind of tv rights and they made power rangers(super sentai), they kept on churning these out (i have no idea what, besides kamen rider and beetleborgs) by then i stopped watching since i was in high school, but it was on anyway since i babysat my nephews.
This is also right around the time of DBZ, at least DBZ on vhs, unless you "knew" someone (or you had a real chinatown) you didn't get to watch DBZ, which is also i think why most people refer to Evangelion as well, since it was one of the first giant robo animes to make it big, and cause a stir, right around when the internet was "getting somewhere". Then we have the internet and college, heck my anime club in 97 even held a theatrical showing of all 26 episodes.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
well half is kind of cheating if you're a gundam fan, they make up like the entire lower portion or 33%?

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
It's pathetic how similar 50% of those robots are, and I'm not talking about the gundams. Yeah, my childhood sucked cause I didn't watch the same cartoon over and over with a different title.

Sterling

El Presidente
i got a serious question for you americans. Both here and on other forums (and youtube too) everyone always compare this movie either to Evangelion or Power Rangers (or sometimes godzilla). Are they really the first and only giant mecha anime/cartoons you guys have been exposed to ? because in the late ?80, europe was invaded by dozen upon dozen of giant robots cartoons. Mazinger, Grenzinger, Ufo Robot Atlas, Daltanius, Gheiking just to name a few

that's where the giant robot vs giant monster genre has been born. Evangelion and power rangers are like....18 years too late

they have never been imported in USA ?
A lot of that stuff was around but it wasn't nearly as prevalent in the culture the way the stuff people are referring to has been.

Rathgar_sl

shitlord
Why does the Russian jaeger (Cherno Alpha) look like it has a bucket on its head? Lol, definitely the funniest looking one.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
holy shit...so much nostalgia....fuck...I remember playing with half of those toys at the bottom...

Itzena_sl

shitlord
PacificRim. It's right there in the name, man.
smile.png

smile.png

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
we see the carcass of a kaiju on a carrier, so they can be killed, i think that was probably the first one. Del torro said that they bleed acid, i guess like aliens so they probably though we can't use rockets and bullets against them when they invade a city cuz they'll bleed acid and melt a portion of the city and ppl, so they built giant robo's to beat the monsters into submission.

fucker_sl

shitlord
we see the carcass of a kaiju on a carrier, so they can be killed, i think that was probably the first one. Del torro said that they bleed acid, i guess like aliens so they probably though we can't use rockets and bullets against them when they invade a city cuz they'll bleed acid and melt a portion of the city and ppl, so they built giant robo's to beat the monsters into submission.
it's probably so. If you read the Gypsy Dancer description, his main weapon is a plasma cannon that "wounds and cauterize kaiju anatomy" for this very reason

to note that Gypsy Dancer is the only "Mark-3" one. The others are Mark-4 while Striker Eureka is a Mark-5 (and the one with the coolest look infact)