Pacific Rim

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
this is a movie that polarizes audiences before they even see it. every movie i've seen that had a trailer for this the audience just yawned at. whereas i was like, instant orgasm. with notable exception of seeing the trailer at IMAX 3D. people still said it looked stupid, but it looked pretty while being stupid. it DID win my wife over, however, so there's that. we're seeing it for our anniversary on wednesday. because there's no recognizable star, because there's no recognizable IP, it didn't feel like a safe bet. word of mouth will give this movie some steam, but it was destined to have a pretty poor opening weekend.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Saw the movie and loved it. Took me back to when I was a kid and watched Godzilla movies all summer long.

I really hope this takes off and the younger generation embraces it; cool toys, more Jaeger designs, tactical minis game, etc.

DMK_sl

shitlord
I think if enough kids do get to see it they definitely will embrace it. Half the time I was sitting there I was thinking "man if i was seeing this as a kid right now I'd be totally losing my shit"

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm a little confused as to why people are calling this an original idea. I swear I've seen this movie in some of the hentai I jerk off to. How is this not a straight copy of generic gundam anime?

Not shitting on the movie itself, I haven't seen it. Could still be a very good movie even if not original. Did read the plot synopsis on wikipedia though.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm a little confused as to why people are calling this an original idea. I swear I've seen this movie in some of the hentai I jerk off to. How is this not a straight copy of generic gundam anime?

Not shitting on the movie itself, I haven't seen it. Could still be a very good movie even if not original. Did read the plot synopsis on wikipedia though.
The plot goes exactly where you expect it to at every turn. Nothing that happened was a surprise at all. Again though, if you loved the trailer when you saw it, you'll probably love the movie. It's definitely giant robots fighting giant aliens.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
What you fail to see is that this movie isn't some regurgitated crap with CGI like Transformers with shitty blurred action. They put a lot of work into the CGI and monsters, the action feels real, weighted and grounded, it is an homage to the japanese monster movie and at that it is fucking great. It is also an original screenplay and it also took a risk.

If you want Hollywood to take more risks, you should want Pacific Rim to do well, not pray that it fails. If Pacific Rim fails but shit like Transformers XII break the bank, we will see Hollywood be even more reluctant to try new screenplays.
star wars was a completely original story. how did that turn out? the problem with this movie isn't its originality (which actually wasn't original at all. it's been done 10,000 times over) it's because it's just not a good movie. you can combine a great story with great special effects and make an awesome flick (like star wars) sadly, this wasn't it.

Triangular_sl

shitlord

i can assure you it is not a generic gundam anime. by far.

Caliane

star wars was a completely original story. how did that turn out? the problem with this movie isn't its originality (which actually wasn't original at all. it's been done 10,000 times over) it's because it's just not a good movie. you can combine a great story with great special effects and make an awesome flick (like star wars) sadly, this wasn't it.
well... not really.. I mean it follows the hero's journey and all. I get what your trying to say. but, no, it wasn't really as original as you think.

Triangular_sl

shitlord
star wars is not original. i thought everybody knew that. by original what people mean is that it is not blatant rip off and carbon copy but inspired by other works and themes.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
star wars was original in the sense that it was old ideas and themes repackaged in a new and interesting way. though, more focus goes to the "interesting" part

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
I liked the schlocky aspects of it. The times they went totally overboard like
when the chick says something about "FOR MY FAMILY!" and stabs the monster in the face with a sword had me laughing, in a good way.
The plot and script was absolutely awful though, just terrible.

Agree with the poster above me that they could have dropped
either the "you are not ready, ok you are ready" plotline with the girl or the australian angry guy/dad issues plotline
and put in more of the soviet / chinese mechs fighting or even centered a bit of plot around them and the pacing and overall movie would have been much better.

Anyway, I liked it for what it is, will be recommending it.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I also like the fact that the guy is like, "we have nothing left" then all of a sudden they had a sword that they didn't use the entire movie pop out.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Just saw it

This movie was fan-fucking-tastic

Best movie of the year so far for me, like 10000000000000000x better than Man of Steel and Iron Man 3 added together.

Minor gripes was the plot was a bit weak and that there wasn't nearly enough screentime for the other robots. Really wanted to see more of the Chinese robot as it was awesome. The CGI and action more than made up for that.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
I also like the fact that the guy is like, "we have nothing left" then all of a sudden they had a sword that they didn't use the entire movie pop out.
That was absolutely hilarious.
There are like two massively highlighted buttons and the guy is all "ITS OVER WE HAVE NOTHING LEFT" and the girl is like "WAIT! WE HAVE ONE MASSIVE ILLUMINATED BUTTON THAT SAYS "SWORD". LETS PRESS IT!. victory ensues, great stuff
smile.png

eek_sl

shitlord
That was absolutely hilarious.
There are like two massively highlighted buttons and the guy is all "ITS OVER WE HAVE NOTHING LEFT" and the girl is like "WAIT! WE HAVE ONE MASSIVE ILLUMINATED BUTTON THAT SAYS "SWORD". LETS PRESS IT!. victory ensues, great stuff
smile.png
Her battle cry was even better.

FOR MY FAMILY!