Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Most people that had anything of a passing interest in this has checked out and lets face it, there is nothing they have done since the end of the KS to bring any of those people back. At this point the only way they are going to get money from people is when they put out an alpha and even that is not a sure thing because if the alpha doesn't show any promise, it may discourage even the hardcore fanboys. I'm amazed there are angel investors (according to Brad) that are willing to throw thousands of dollars away on hopes, dreams and smoke because that is all this is. There is nothing, absolutely nothing that could make anyone believe that this not only is going to be a reality but a reality of the type of game they are looking for.
Angel investors don't invest in hopes and dreams... they invest in an opportunity for a return. If they exist, they believe there will be a return on their investment plain and simple. I am curious if they are saying they have angels or not.... although angels are usually not revealed publicly like VCs are.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
From the new CEO's bio:

He also assisted MMO developer Sigil with its sale to Sony Online Entertainment.
Their new CEO duped SOE pretty hard, so there's hope he's actually good at his job and will be a great asset to BradCo.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
From the new CEO's bio:

Their new CEO duped SOE pretty hard, so there's hope he's actually good at his job and will be a great asset to BradCo.
Maybe Brad can pay him in used napkins. He has plenty of those.

rrr_img_62978.jpg

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I wouldn't say it is OMG AMAZING, but what it does it does very well. It is a good engine that is very cheap, allows you to work quickly, is platform agnostic, and can be easily used in a web browser. It also has its issues, for example it handles large amounts of draw calls poorly, and the level editor bafflingly lacks some basic functionality that can make it a real pain in the ass to use sometimes. If money were no object I'd still prefer to use Unreal, but that engine costs several times the entire budget of most of our projects, so that's a no go.

It works perfectly fine for an MMO, it can do whatever a client engine for an MMO like this needs. That really isn't the issue, constructing the server/networking part of the engine is the hard part, you can't really buy a good one off the shelf for a project like this.
Check this out. Major price drop on Unreal Engine 4:

Epic Games making Unreal Engine 4 available for $19 per month, starting today | Polygon

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok, here's my question. If I subscribe to this deal, can I build a multiplayer game without knowing code? Will I have all the tools I need to set one up from the ground up?

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to the technical aspects of this stuff- I just remember something Denault said about Unity only being a portion of what you need to make a good multiplayer game (something about network code maybe?). Does Unreal have the same limitations?

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Ok, here's my question. If I subscribe to this deal, can I build a multiplayer game without knowing code? Will I have all the tools I need to set one up from the ground up?

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to the technical aspects of this stuff- I just remember something Denault said about Unity only being a portion of what you need to make a good multiplayer game (something about network code maybe?). Does Unreal have the same limitations?
You can make a simple game without programming with kismet. It is pretty slow and inefficient but you can do it. You can do much, much more if you learn Unreal Script, which is just a scripting language but is extremely powerful and many of the logical concepts are pretty close to programming without actually being programming. Both Unreal and Unity have network code, and Unreal's at least is pretty good and easy to use with its scripting language (played with it in the UDK, never actually used Unity's network code). What they don't have is a the type of network code and server engine you'd need to make a traditional (or semi-traditional) MMORPG where the server itself essentially runs the "game" and the client isn't trusted at all.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Unreal engine game would suck for a MMO it's way to hardware intensive. I don't support stuff like Cry engine or UE3+ on mmos, look at how Vanguard was unplayable on most home comps, ditto for EQ2 and I think Age of Conan at release also....

Look at ESO, looks gorgeous even on my shitty computers while also playing smooth. Thats the way to do mmo graphics/

Shame Star Citizen is using Cryengine, how many of those backers will be unable to play it at launch?

As for PJP, I still hope against hope it gets miraculously funded and launches. Simply because I think it's our last hope of seeing a true successor to EQ. It's hard for me to not dislike the (mostly) warranted hate on this forum as it makes the odds of it getting made even smaller.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Unreal engine game would suck for a MMO it's way to hardware intensive. I don't support stuff like Cry engine or UE3+ on mmos, look at how Vanguard was unplayable on most home comps, ditto for EQ2 and I think Age of Conan at release also....
The Engine itself is not hardware intensive at all, in fact there is a version of Unreal that runs on mobile (Infinity Blade). Most high quality or popular engines are very scalable, how the developer uses it determines whether or not the game runs like crap. There are tons of reasons a game can run poorly and nearly all of them are a factor irrespective of the engine. Both EQ2 and Age of Conan use a proprietary engine, so including them in your list makes no sense at all.

Wasn't the engine, it was whatever terrible streaming implementation the Vanguard programmers did. I hear that game still hitches. Also EQ2 and AOC were not Unreal engine AFAIK. Here's a list:

List of Unreal Engine games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are many Unreal-based MMOGs that run decently on average hardware: Lineage 2, DCUO, Marvel Heroes, Fury, Mortal, APB, etc. There's even mobile games that use Unreal Engine. Bottomline: if your game runs like ass, it isn't the engine. It is shitty artists and/or programmers.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
LOL @ describing loot before even having a goddamn game. They're fucking retarded I swear.