Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Says one of the guys who was backing up Brad a few days ago.
I think many people want this to succeed despite brad. I wanted this to do well because I believe there is room for this type of old school mmo in the market.

I personally gave up hope after th ks launch but none the less was supportive. Just not financially.

I still hope some team can do this genre right, though I will probably never have the time to play it, I still would like it to be there.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Everything being said was actively contradicted by the rest of the team. After Brad left a few of the devs hung around for a long time and mocked the whole thing.

Funny thing is everyone said they weren't close to Brad at all. I assumed a lot of them were buddies.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
Fav part, getting Brad to admit the dollar amount on the Pantheon website is not accurate. lolz.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Everything being said was actively contradicted by the rest of the team. After Brad left a few of the devs hung around for a long time and mocked the whole thing.

Funny thing is everyone said they weren't close to Brad at all. I assumed a lot of them were buddies.
I'm not sure if some of the old Sigil Dev/Designers would be willing to share but I know we have a few floating around but if I remember correctly, this is a very similar tale to the end of VG.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fav part, getting Brad to admit the dollar amount on the Pantheon website is not accurate. lolz.
yea I asked that one.. He still didn't answer it in an acceptable way, but he says something is coming in that regard, so I'll follow up if he doesn't put something up.

I don't think it's ok for him to stare that number in the face day in and day out and only question it when people use it to point out mismanagement.

kanak32_sl

shitlord
thats just insane, didnt these people remember how fucked and unfinished original EQ was? did they forget that he already made his own game and it was a failure of "too much brown"? did they also forget how he banned Conquest because they made a workaround to finish his shitty sleeper's tomb event? my old guild Da'kor had to deal with their shit too the first time we got into Sleeper's. i forget now because i didnt have my ST key before the first changes, but i think they mentioned that brad or one of the devs was there watching them, then the next day they nerfed clerics and fucked ST til conquest figured it out.
Exactly. People seem to forget that not only was EQ broken as all hell, a lot of the fun was derived from the fact that it was broken all to hell, and a lot of the favorite "mechanics" we all loved were unintended results. Brad's claim to fame is built on a game that was beloved because it was broken and inadvertently created some of the best mechanics ever seen in an MMO.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Ugh. This went down such a predictable path. Very disappointing. I hope he can secure some decent employment in the industry after this, for the sake of his family.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Exactly. People seem to forget that not only was EQ broken as all hell, a lot of the fun was derived from the fact that it was broken all to hell, and a lot of the favorite "mechanics" we all loved were unintended results. Brad's claim to fame is built on a game that was beloved because it was broken and inadvertently created some of the best mechanics ever seen in an MMO.
I remember when ShowEQ packet sniffer came out and people were able to reverse engineer some of the major design algorithms of EQ1. It was then that we were able to confirm much of EQ1 was spaghetti code that somehow worked despite all the design flaws.

IMO EQ1 was successful primarily because it was the first PVE oriented online game that allowed a bunch of geeks who grew up playing AD&D a chance to recreate that social experience. It had major design flaws that players overlooked or just dealt with because the social experience was worth it.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I remember when ShowEQ packet sniffer came out and people were able to reverse engineer some of the major design algorithms of EQ1. It was then that we were able to confirm much of EQ1 was spaghetti code that somehow worked despite all the design flaws.

IMO EQ1 was successful primarily because it was the first PVE oriented online game that allowed a bunch of geeks who grew up playing AD&D a chance to recreate that social experience. It had major design flaws that players overlooked or just dealt with because the social experience was worth it.
That's a big part of it and is very true. The credit of EQ's success should go to the people. Everquest was just the first to make the scene and facilitate the dream of immersing yourself in that AD&D world. This is why it will never be creating. You will never get that time back or those people (at least at the time in their own life when they played). Everquest is the High School sweetheart you married and then somehow lost. Now every other woman just isn't the same and you get to see the woman you loved everyday with another man. She still exists but you can never have her and if you could what once was is gone. (I know that's an extreme example but it is the only way I can make sense of a lot of people's passion and even desperation as you have seen take place in the Pantheon community).