Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think at the end of the day, Brad (and lets face it more than a few on here) vastly overestimated that the amount of interest in this type of game would carry them to funding when there is nothing to show. We also learned a lot about the 'die hard' EQ fanboy that longs for that type of game again. That fan does have a huge amount of interest but not enough to fund something when there isn't anything substantial there, not even when the name Brad McQuaid is behind it. What this basically tells you is the only way this kind of game gets made is if it at least gets to the demo/alpha phase first. Star Citizen is a huge exception of course.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think at the end of the day, Brad (and lets face it more than a few on here) vastly overestimated that the amount of interest in this type of game would carry them to funding when there is nothing to show. We also learned a lot about the 'die hard' EQ fanboy that longs for that type of game again. That fan does have a huge amount of interest but not enough to fund something when there isn't anything substantial there, not even when the name Brad McQuaid is behind it. What this basically tells you is the only way this kind of game gets made is if it at least gets to the demo/alpha phase first. Star Citizen is a huge exception of course.
I think it's more, you get what you give.

Everything about this project was sloppy, from the initial design doc (if there even really was one), to presentation and execution. You don't just throw up a Kickstarter and say "Remember EQ, we do... give us money", you need to put in some serious time, effort and sacrifice. This is why Richard Garriot is sitting on 3+million for SotA and Brad has 161k for his crap project. Garriott actually had initial footage and a clear vision prior to launching the Kickstarter, it gave people a reason to invest. Brad had nothing, except a view pieces of concept art and screenshots of a supposed "prototype". You can't expect people to give you money for nothing.

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Could someone be kind enough to summarize what has happened so far? I tried reading back a few pages and I'm even more confused.

kudos

<Banned>
Could someone be kind enough to summarize what has happened so far? I tried reading back a few pages and I'm even more confused.
It was all a scam
I used to read Everquest magazine
McQuaid on pain killers like a fiend
Hangin' maps on my wall
Every Saturday craftin, groupin, waitin for raid call
I let my winamp rock 'til my mob pop
Runnin mobs back to group, until I flop
Way back, when I had the red and black armor
With the helm to match
Remember raidin Vox, Avatar, Aten Ha Ra
You never thought that MMO's would take it this far
Now I'm in the limelight 'cause I tank tight
Time to raid, gear up cause my armor No Trade
Born winner, I raid so I skip dinner
Remember when I used to kill a Goblin Skinner
Peace to Pizza Hut, Moutain Dew, Frito Lay
Hot Pockets, McDonald's Frapp?
I'm late for raid but now I'm up all night didn't think I would
Still wearin Executioners Hood, my cudgel is Ebonwood
It's all good

Quaid

Trump's Staff
It was all a scam
Hangin' maps on my wall
With the helm to match
It's all good
Fucking bring back internets

dgrabs_sl

shitlord
It was all a scam
Hangin' maps on my wall
With the helm to match
It's all good
+100

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
It was all a scam
Hangin' maps on my wall
With the helm to match
It's all good

much propers were given this day

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
What this basically tells you is the only way this kind of game gets made is if it at least gets to the demo/alpha phase first. Star Citizen is a huge exception of course.
I'm pretty sure Star Citizen had a demo or whatever they had in their KS video. It look good too. Pantheon? Here's 10 seconds of generic combat and some devs reading scripts.

Dyvim

Yeah plus the MMO industry was and is full of shit promises... remember we were promised that 2013 we would get our hands at Landmark, and im not talking about a beta?
People learned the hard way that what you see is what you get since... well basically since PoD standing in Nagafens lair dick in hand.
When you see nothing it means theres nothing to show/get which lead to this crap.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Yeah plus the MMO industry was and is full of shit promises... remember we were promised that 2013 we would get our hands at Landmark, and im not talking about a beta?
People learned the hard way that what you see is what you get since... well basically since PoD standing in Nagafens lair dick in hand.
When you see nothing it means theres nothing to show/get which lead to this crap.
Big difference in late promises and vaporware. While SOE is late on all their goals for Landmark and will probably take longer than I'd like for EQN, this thing never showed much of anything. There was a lot of basic stuff done with a few hours of time invested. When your first pics are basis stuff from the engine's own assets and the "SLASH" is still in the pic, you know the effort isn't there.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I think Minecraft Hardcore is the most hardcore game out there. You die? Entire map deleted.

Edit: refresh my memory and post the slash image again. I remember it being hilariously bad.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
God, that radio interview was painful to listen to and I didn't even have any illusions of this actually being a thing. This week musta been a punch in the balls for the delusional backers.

Dyvim

Big difference in late promises and vaporware. While SOE is late on all their goals for Landmark and will probably take longer than I'd like for EQN, this thing never showed much of anything. There was a lot of basic stuff done with a few hours of time invested. When your first pics are basis stuff from the engine's own assets and the "SLASH" is still in the pic, you know the effort isn't there.
Whats the difference really? One claims theres a fully functional dungeon/endboss/class available to explore at launch at the next one promises a fully functional demo/alpha/earlyaccess/bullshit promo ready to show off when entering kickstarter timeframe.
In the end its all lies by a rotten to the core industy where nothing is to be taken as real unless you (or someone you know) had a hands on expirience.
FFS they should just rename the entire genre to Wonderbra Online.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
This industry is so dead. There's nothing now. Do you see what money and exposure has brought us? DO YOU SEE? If I could go back 10 years, I would stop WoW from seeing the light of day, some how, some way.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
This industry is so dead. There's nothing now.Do you see what money and exposure has brought us?DO YOU SEE? If I could go back 10 years, I would stop WoW from seeing the light of day, some how, some way.
It brought Blizzard a shitload of money. Including your $15 a month.