Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So let me see if I understand this thread so far. Brad gets laid off at soe which is the same as being fired in the gaming industry, says he's cool with it because he has plans for a mmo (like every other unemployed neckbeard), goes to lunch with his old pal Smed, and now somehow going to make a game that will save the MMOverse. Right.

Am I missing something?

I respect Brad more as time passes, and I slowly forget about the Sigil mess in the parking lot, but come on. I will bet my farm that this will never ever happen. I would love it to but I can't see where the hope is coming from.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
So let me see if I understand this thread so far. Brad gets laid off at soe which is the same as being fired in the gaming industry, says he's cool with it because he has plans for a mmo (like every other unemployed neckbeard), goes to lunch with his old pal Smed, and now somehow going to make a game that will save the MMOverse. Right.

Am I missing something?

I respect Brad more as time passes, and I slowly forget about the Sigil mess in the parking lot, but come on. I will bet my farm that this will never ever happen. I would love it to but I can't see where the hope is coming from.
hope is all we have left. at this point i'd rather theorycraft in a thread about brad's next MMO than actually play EQN.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
At this point, I'd make Brad make a good MUD. If his MUD is worth its dickles, port it to 3d.

Vegetoee_sl

shitlord
It's quite easy to make an mmo where low and mid-lvl items are useful and or grow with you. I don't see why they haven't done this yet... oh wait the gratification effect!

Still, I believe Brad will try to do all the things mentioned above with his team , and so far for me he is only on strike 1 and I follow the 3 strikes rule.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ill be willing to go $10-$20. But none of this $1000 bullshit for beta invite, thats lol worthy.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I likely will, I tend to throw small money at stuff like this quickly because corporate-produced games are likely to compromise on their initial goals. I do not share the admiration for Brad McQaid that's rampant here though so I am not quite the target audience I guess.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm not going to donate to it, but I really hope he does put it on Kickstarter if only to genuinely gauge the interest in it. I'm very interested in seeing how much they could get, and if it were to be sufficiently funded, I wish nothing but the best for them and the people who donated.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
It all depends on the pitch. If it's something with a lot of thought and effort like the Mighty No. 9 pitch, I can see throwing $50 to $100. If it's something like the new Mutant League Football (Mutant Football League on Kickstarter) that's a shoddy, not even half-assed attempt at getting people to fund a project with no vision or idea of what the product should be, I wouldn't.

Even a small budget MMO is going to cost more than most Kickstarter projects ever hope to earn, so if Brad does take to it, I want to see what it is that I'm backing. For Pathfinder Online, it was to create a pitch I believe and there was a second one for additional funding toward something I can't even remember.

The biggest success stories on Kickstarter have a well thought out opening pitch (even for shitty projects like Ouya). Banking on nostalgia alone is a fast way to make sure you shit doesn't get funded.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Even a small budget MMO is going to cost more than most Kickstarter projects ever hope to earn, so if Brad does take to it, I want to see what it is that I'm backing. For Pathfinder Online, it was to create a pitch I believe and there was a second one for additional funding toward something I can't even remember.
Judging from the last part of Brad's bio that you can find under the twitter handle, this project isnt entirely independent. It will be supported by SOE, but wont be part of their portfolio to give the project the freedom to target a small niche, which an official SOE project just cant do because whoever Smed has to answer to wouldnt go for it. Upside is that funding after a successfull KS might be no problem, and the project might have assets like the Forgelight engine as a foundation to build upon. Downside is SOE might retool the direction of the project towards main stream if they feel the need to do that.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Cant be worse then VG. And PS2 runs ok for me usually, could be better but meh. Free, supported, sorta current engine would be boon for a budget project any way you cut it.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone excited about him using Forgelight has never played PlanetSide 2. That engine is fucking terrible.
How is it terrible? I played it during the Alpha Squad BETA promo and 1-2 months into release. I cant ever remember it stalling or having issues whatsoever. It was certainly the most players on the screen I have ever seen in an MMO. By a long shot.

I will fully admit I have a beefy system (4.5GHz quad core, 670 SLI, 12GB memory, SSD, etc). The thing is, with that beefy system ANYTHING should run that well. If it was a poor engine, it would run like shitdespitehaving a high end gaming rig.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, there was nothing wrong with the Forgelight engine. In beta and shortly after release there was massive battles, like 100 vs 100 easy, if not more and the engine just laughed at that.