Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I find that forge light is too demanding. Niche should not require higher than average CPU/GPU
Are you trolling?

Holy shit anyone that cannot run Forgelight may as well just stop PC gaming altogether. This thing was running well on my old AMD 920 2.4 Ghz system with a GTX 285 before I did a complete overhaul.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Are you trolling?

Holy shit anyone that cannot run Forgelight may as well just stop PC gaming altogether. This thing was running well on my old AMD 920 2.4 Ghz system with a GTX 285 before I did a complete overhaul.
People read too much of the Planetside 2 forums and just bandwagon whine about Forgelight... While trying to run the game on max with a CPU that was mid range in 2009. Good luck.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So let me get this straight, people are bitching because in order to max out their settings, they needed a high end PC?

Fucking morons.

A "bad engine" runs like shit, regarless of what hardware you throw at it. (See EQ2)

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Ya, because the amount of objects a CPU needs to track in PS2 is similar to any other game on the market... Are you high?

Premium products exist in this world. You need a good CPU to compete in PS2, just like you need a fast car to compete in a race.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I think he was agreeing with you there, champ.

Anyway the guess about Forgelight is just that, a guess. If he gets SOE support a proprietary engine that is proven to run decent is a good start, even moreso at the time this turns from a wet dream into a game when any pc that is less then 6 years old can run max settings.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ya, because the amount of objects a CPU needs to track in PS2 is similar to any other game on the market... Are you high?

Premium products exist in this world. You need a good CPU to compete in PS2, just like you need a fast car to compete in a race.
I was completely agreeing with you there.

Rhuobhe

N00b
I would like to people to be able to run EQ3 on a decent laptop on a low to mid settings. An i7-3520M with a GT 640m LE and SSD, a semi-expensive laptop, cannot even run PS2 on low settings beyond 40FPS without having to over clock. Why do we have to cough up more $ on a tower or a pricey gaming laptop to play a shitty Niche pc game?

Opimo_sl

shitlord

Forgelight doesn't take advantage of multi-core CPU's or multi-threading. So tell me again how well Forgelight is putting that high end CPU to use when only 1/4th of it is being used? Maybe they'll get this feature implemented into the engine for EQN, maybe they won't. Right now the engine is an unoptimized piece of shit with loads of problems that need to be addressed. If that were not the case, Smed would not have pulled the plug on content development for PS2 to focus on performance and CTD issues.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Are you really arguing that a game that isnt anything but a visionT has to comply to your 2013 "semi-expensive laptop" specs? Forgelight runs fine today, by the time therer is an actual game to install this isnt even a topic anymore. And to repeat, Forgelight was just an example to illustrate that SOE can provide assets to reduce the burden on an indie project, dont get hung up on it.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would like to people to be able to run EQ3 on a decent laptop on a low to mid settings. An i7-3520M with a GT 640m LE and SSD, a semi-expensive laptop, cannot even run PS2 on low settings beyond 40FPS without having to over clock. Why do we have to cough up more $ on a tower or a pricey gaming laptop to play a shitty Niche pc game?
I really dont know where I stand on this. Laptops, by their very nature are significantly reduced performance PCs for the sake portability. In my opinion, if you really want to bitch about gaming performance, then go buy an actual desktop PC or gaming laptop. Sure you should be able to run minimalist settings, but fuck if I want an entire gaming engine dumbed down to the lowest common denominiator.

2002User

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Forgelight isn't optimized. I have top of the line hardware (and one hell of a processor) and it still runs shitty sometimes in PS2. Where some people with lower spec computers with different hardware and get better framerate at times. Seems legit. Well I quit near launch, so no telling how it is now. PlanetSide 1 was never really optimized either...it took me 10 years before I could get a rig to run that game flawlessly in Red alerts. SOE in general is just shit at this kinda stuff.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Built a new PC earlier this year and run PS2 smooth with graphics options cranked. It's not a perfect engine and the textures get a bit rough up close, but it's capable of some impressive scope.

SOE Technical DirectorJoshua Kriegshauserleft the company to join up with a local start-up. It looks like Brad is pulling people over already.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Built a new PC earlier this year and run PS2 smooth with graphics options cranked. It's not a perfect engine and the textures get a bit rough up close, but it's capable of some impressive scope.

SOE Technical DirectorJoshua Kriegshauserleft the company to join up with a local start-up. It looks like Brad is already pulling people over already.
good news. perhaps he'll get this thing off the ground after all....

Excidium

Trakanon Raider

But you didn't mention that an i5 2430 runs PS2 just as well as an i7 6 core OC to 4.5+. Forgelight is DX 9.0, doesn't support SLI/Xfire right now, isn't multithreaded, and has had a massive memory leak since day 1. Artifacts and frame hitching are another huge concern from many of my friends in PS2. All this while having a horrible animation system and lackluster texture filtering and offensive LOD on terrain. It really is not an impressive engine when you have Frostbite 2 and 3 outshining it. I was blown away by the rage engine in GTA 5 too.

And your CPU has nothing to do with the bad frame rates noticed in larger fights. Thats the poor servers being unable to communicate properly with the clients. This is something that might be important during raids if the game goes out of sync like in Warhammer online. Forgelight is not a low latency input game and runs poorly on every system out there.

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
This is totally inaccurate in my experience
What are you minimum frame rates in large battles in AMP stations/Biolabs/Tech Plants? Maximums and averages don't really count here because there is a wall everybody hits once the action even remotely picks up. I normally have 90-160fps if I'm not around people and its here that the CPU seems to matter as Im now GPU bound. But this doesnt matter because minimum frame rates are more important in shooters than average frame rates. I get into a fight, instantly 45fps.

The only graphical setting that affects people's frame rate seems to be shadows being placed on high. This seems to be CPU bound to boot. The shadow rendering might have looked good 4 years ago if it didn't run so poorly.

In large fights, everybody I play with maxes out at 35-45fps with almost any Sandy Bridge i5 or greater. Your choice of video card isn't also pretty moot. The game scales so poorly its almost laughable and this is the engine for a game that's coming out in a year.