Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
good news. perhaps he'll get this thing off the ground after all....
I know he's taking advantage of the recent layoffs.. Im thinking it will be a team of ex SoE/Trion Devs.. Assuming Smed did give him the green light on borrowing EQN tech we might have some solid info sooner rather than later

forge

Lord Nagafen Raider
He can basically fail and it will be better than what we have on the horizon currently. So all he has to do is aim low.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know he's taking advantage of the recent layoffs.. Im thinking it will be a team of ex SoE/Trion Devs.. Assuming Smed did give him the green light on borrowing EQN tech we might have some solid info sooner rather than later
Why in the world do you think SoE would lend Brad anything?
Am I the only one who see Brad as a huge liability?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Besides his friendship with Smed? I think SoE is confident in what they are creating with the tools they are using..which will be the standard, the measuring bar so to speak. Not sure how he can be a liability in that situation..

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
ugh! double post.. but I will add to it..this is no different than people leasing out an engine like HE..

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Depends on if Smed & his Boss (Andrew House, IIRC?) think they can make money a la Verant.

Smed, House & Co, invest in Brad's new company. SOE "loans" them tech. Game releases if successful, Sony buys Company and Smed, House & Co get $$$. If game is unsuccessful, not on SOE balance sheet.

Of course, were I Smed I would know that the only way this game can suceed is if Brad is not CEO of the new company and he has to answer to someone else - so I'm less interested in hearing about a new technical director and more interested in hearing about who's running what.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I'm torn between agreeing exactly with what Tad says about McQ running the show is not a good idea and wondering if the over the top train wreck he did at Sigil might have him wanting to prove he learned his lesson and do a decent job this time around.

Small chance of that and if forced to choose Id lean towards the safer route of he needs adult supervision.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm torn between agreeing exactly with what Tad says about McQ running the show is not a good idea and wondering if the over the top train wreck he did at Sigil might have him wanting to prove he learned his lesson and do a decent job this time around.

Small chance of that and if forced to choose Id lean towards the safer route of he needs adult supervision.
I think he's learned a lot tbh.. I would not be worried if he was CEO. I think a lot of went wrong had more to do with his addiction than anything else. Just my personal opinion..He's not setting out to make some huge, expensive mmo. He going for small budget/team niche.. much different approach

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I think he's learned a lot tbh.. I would not be worried if he was CEO. I think a lot of went wrong had more to do with his addiction than anything else. Just my personal opinion..He's not setting out to make some huge, expensive mmo. He going for small budget/team niche.. much different approach
Nah. He's an idea man. Not a manager. He'll fuck things up if he's CEO. If he's grown up he'll realize that and hire someone other than himself to run the company and produce the game. He's job title should be CIO - Chief Idea Officer.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Nah. He's an idea man. Not a manager. He'll fuck things up if he's CEO. If he's grown up he'll realize that and hire someone other than himself to run the company and produce the game. He's job title should be CIO - Chief Idea Officer.
Sounds like something I had to realize about myself a couple years ago... took a minor pay cut and hired a day-to-day paperwork/appointment type person while I handle operations and strategy... the combination of he and I has done so well for our 3 restaurant properties its almost astounding. Know your skills and manage them... same goes for your shortcomings.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
*shrug* How long ago was the VG stuff? People really do change given proper kicks in the ass. We shall see.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Also SOE/Smed could see it as something with only a little risk vs potential for much bigger reward.

They see it get good kickstarter funding lets say for example and back it on their own some also. It flops not a whole lot lost on their part - it catches on , McQ actually pulls off a smaller but well done mish-mash VG-EQ they could then jump in full force and buy it back and all of a sudden have another money maker on the SOE pass.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Pretty sure he only saw the first response and ran with the post. And yeah, people are going to be excited about the idea and most are realistic that there's no guarantee with this project, only hope.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
"Idea men" are entirely pointless. What matters to a project like a video game are not nebulous "big ideas", everyone has those. Hell, you probably have ones just as good as the ones Brad or I have. What matters are the thousands of tiny ideas that solve complex and difficult problems. You can't plan those, and they can't all come from one head because something like an MMORPG is too large and too varied for that.

What matters for someone like Brad is the ability to put together a good team, keep everyone moving in the same direction, and most importantly make sure there is money to pay the bills. That is what a good head of a video game company does.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
*shrug* How long ago was the VG stuff? People really do change given proper kicks in the ass. We shall see.
He's going from MS' big bucks on a huge project to making a tiny niche game probably with few funds. If he couldnt release a decent game with Micro$oft, I'm not sure he can do much with the scarce funds he probably will gather. My guess is he'll go the kickstarter route. Anyone who contributes to Brad knowing he flushed 10s of millions of Bill Gates dollars down the toilet is ignoring history.