Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I need to get to SoE live one of these years.. This year kind of feels like a crossroads year. Unless they shock us all and show a ton of EQN and say alpha by end of year...

gogojira_sl

shitlord
This year will be cool, next year will be the blowout. If I go, it'll be then. Hard to imagine going to a gaming event dedicated to one company though.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Does it cost extra in the Unity store to have your character not look like a retard when walking around?

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
With how much the game changed just from release until the time I quit (PoP), I cannot even imagine how different the game must be at this point. The entry barrier for a new player must be fairly ridiculous. I think in a way that is sort of what the cult of Brad was hoping to get from him. The EQ experience, but everyone starting back at square one and on equal footing. Too bad that first MMO is like the first high and you never quite get that feeling of wonder again.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I loaded up EQ1 about a year ago, and if you had a mage or access to a mage then you could PL yourself up to 4500 AAs in a month, and the non raid gear rains from the sky.

PvP was all about who saw who first, and rock / paper / scissors cooldown fest. And if you did not have raid gear, you were fuk'd.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I had thought about going back when EQ1 went F2P, but the account I had was one that I had been given by a friend and I think at some point in the 10 years or so since I last played it got reverted back to his original email address instead of the one I had used with it, so I totally lost what I had and I can't reset the PW on the account. And even if I could get that account back I'm a bit dubious since I remember hearing people talking about how EQ1 was a totally different game when they tried it after it went F2P.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I had thought about going back when EQ1 went F2P, but the account I had was one that I had been given by a friend and I think at some point in the 10 years or so since I last played it got reverted back to his original email address instead of the one I had used with it, so I totally lost what I had and I can't reset the PW on the account. And even if I could get that account back I'm a bit dubious since I remember hearing people talking about how EQ1 was a totally different game when they tried it after it went F2P.
I was thinking about trying it again, but I honestly wouldn't even know where to start, and I'm afraid that hot ass piece of tail that was EQ 15 years ago is now a diseased infested bitch who gained 50 pounds...

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
With how much the game changed just from release until the time I quit (PoP), I cannot even imagine how different the game must be at this point. The entry barrier for a new player must be fairly ridiculous. I think in a way that is sort of what the cult of Brad was hoping to get from him. The EQ experience, but everyone starting back at square one and on equal footing. Too bad that first MMO is like the first high and you never quite get that feeling of wonder again.
The entry barrier is actually easier than on release imo.
1. You get incredible gear easily as you level up. ex level 1-10:
3faf52e394b104b3e8539700c2898480.jpg

level 60:
Elaborate Defiant Breastplate :: Items :: EverQuest :: ZAM

2. You get all the AAs from all but the last 4 (iirc) expansions for free.
3. There's all kinds of leveling aids including hot zones, daily quests etc.
4. They have mercenaries which pretty much faceroll content until level 60, but stay useful till you get near the level cap. You can even AFK level with mercenaries until level 70 or so.

I went back and replayed it with my family a few months ago, it's not actually that bad. To me the worst part was all the little chickenshit new features they were obliged to stuff in with every new expansion. I'm sure that everyone who plays the game a lot understands it, but for a new player it was more enjoyable to ignore have the shit in the game and just play.

The other thing that hurt the nostalgic leveling experience was that the best loot was pretty much random drops off of mobs by level. This is easy to implement and I don't fault them for it, but one of the best parts of EQ was finding out about specific items and farming them. This also served as the impetus to explore the world and was some of the best 'questing' in MMOs that didn't need all the window dressing. It would have been nice if each piece of the defiant gear had 1-3 places where it dropped a lot more. Of course, players would still just AH it and go to the hotzones....

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I feel likethis is relevantto this thread: dipshit Youtubers (Yogscast) work with a team to create a game, get $570,000 with a goal of $250,000 and blow all the money. The project has now collapsed. It's cool though, because as they put it "we're under no obligation to do anything, instead we're going to do our best to make this right, and make you really glad you backed the project!" They are handing out free Steam tickets to a cheap indie game which is sure to appease the five $10,000 backers.

For every Shovel Knight or Broken Age, there's this shit that makes me never want to back another Kickstarter.