Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Ceder_sl

shitlord
I feel likethis is relevantto this thread: dipshit Youtubers (Yogscast) work with a team to create a game, get $570,000 with a goal of $250,000 and blow all the money. The project has now collapsed. It's cool though, because as they put it "we're under no obligation to do anything, instead we're going to do our best to make this right, and make you really glad you backed the project!" They are handing out free Steam tickets to a cheap indie game which is sure to appease the five $10,000 backers.

For every Shovel Knight or Broken Age, there's this shit that makes me never want to back another Kickstarter.
Yeah there was a massively article on this with the article stating that yog's newest game partnering with Nerd Kingdom which is making the game TUG(The Untitled Game) was getting the code and assets of the failed game from the other studio.

Then the head of Nerd Kingdom in the comments says that they were offered it but turned it down because its all unity and they're not using Unity. Follow up question was asked then about the IP as well and he said they're not using anything. So I thought it was strange that there was such a conflict in information floating around. As well Nerd Kingdom sent out keys to their game(though its in like ultra early beta) as part of this change as mentioned.

Additionally there is an article on gamasutra supposedly written by a lawyer saying that there is compelling evidence that yog is still on the hook for this.Gamasutra: Zachary Strebeck's Blog - YogsCast Kickstarter game "Yogventures!" cancelled - A legal perspective

Update: Massively evidently had the head of Nerd Kingdom do a follow up interview article in which he emphasizes that he and his team are taking basically nothing from the yogventures mess:

Nerd Kingdom on Yogventures!'s implosion and the future of TUG | Massively

I feel likethis is relevantto this thread: dipshit Youtubers (Yogscast) work with a team to create a game, get $570,000 with a goal of $250,000 and blow all the money. The project has now collapsed. It's cool though, because as they put it "we're under no obligation to do anything, instead we're going to do our best to make this right, and make you really glad you backed the project!" They are handing out free Steam tickets to a cheap indie game which is sure to appease the five $10,000 backers.

For every Shovel Knight or Broken Age, there's this shit that makes me never want to back another Kickstarter.
In retrospect their kickstarter vid is amusing. It starts out with them wondering "what happened to all the money"? At the end of the vid the guy is saying "In your face Notch. In your face!"

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
As an Arabic speaker, I'm willing to don a ski mask and create all future RR media addresses toward future kickstarters in a threatening voice.

iannis

Musty Nester
As an Arabic speaker, I'm willing to don a ski mask and create all future RR media addresses toward future kickstarters in a threatening voice.
Just be sure to say stuff like, "We demand whipped cream and waffle tits or else the frog gets it."

It probably sounds pretty menacing in arabic.

iannis

Musty Nester
"Prometheus was a very good movie."

There's actually a surprisingly lot of stuff that I think would probably sound better in Arabic.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

I love the people in that thread saying "why can't they just refund the money?!?!?!" It's like none of them have any concept of how business works, or why it's so difficult to get loans or capital investments; because once it's gone, it's gone. That's why capital investors do so much work vetting investments--AND it's why they often require a legal frame work to claim the assets of such an investment if things go south.

Video Games are particularly brutal because there usually aren't very many relevant "physical" assets to offset the cost of a catastrophic financial failure (So, unlike lending for a home or car, there is no underlying asset to seize to recoup capital)--also, unlike a standard business, there are no immediate returns on capital. In MOST loans for a physical business, there is an immediate net income; of which (A lot) goes back to the lender (This is why even good bushiness don't generate profits for the first few years)--this makes it somewhat more manageable to offset the loss of capital in the case of a business failure. But games don't even have this, there is literally no income until the game is released, nothing. So you have a long time horizon on returns, and no "physical" assets (But you do have specialized digital assets and an IP, but these are A LOT harder to recoup on for people outside of an industry).

This is essentially (One reason) why publishers exist for video games (And even things like novels). Because investments in mediums that only produce IP; are VERY hard to recoup on, and you need people within specialized networks that can exploit the IP even after the company fails. So you need someone who knows how to sell game assets, or can even take those game assets, give them to a new team and salvage some work. This is why Publishing contracts are extremely brutal; Publishers often retain rights to literally fire everyone if goals aren't met and take any work, or concepts of the IP for themselves. They also carefully design their contracts to only pay X out for Y goal time period. Because they want to be able to recoup the moment they see shit going down.

Yeah, it has a shitty effect on a lot of games, and it sucks. But the Kick Starter is a perfect example of why it's done. There are no "refunds" in investments unless you can prove fraudulence (And even then; you usually don't get the money back)...Investors are usually pricks because if they weren't, they wouldn't have money to invest. You really need to do your homework; and then, after doing research, make sure you have a fail safe to recoup losses (Because things DO fail, even well run companies can have bad luck.) Kick Starter offers none of this; which is why people need to look at it as a donation, not an investment.

Still though, the guys who paid 10k have a right to be pissed off; that's terrible. But, in the end, as said, you have to look at every penny you put into a KS as a "hail mary" for something nice.