Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm really impressed considering how much they've done while heavily discouraged to even work on the game - community drama being one of those big things.

Given the amount of crap that Rerolled has given them, they've got more actual work put into the game than SOE has ever put into any project. I guess I should finish the bridge I was working on for EQEmulator <-> Unity sometime for Tyen, seems like now would be a good time as ever to get that done.
I think rerolled wanted this game to succeed more than anything. It's just hard to get on board with a guy that straight up stole peoples money.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think rerolled wanted this game to succeed more than anything. It's just hard to get on board with a guy that straight up stole peoples money.
Pretty much this. I have no ill will towards the dev team. They just seizing an opportunity. Brad just handled the situation so bad. In a perfect world he would get funding and give jobs to the old team and make good on the wrong but that's not realistic.

Tol_sl

shitlord
This is exactly it. I feel like the suggestions we gave early on were constructive for the most part. They turned full-negative when the kickstarter and parade of terrible ideas/execution started to manifest. At that point they retreated back into the hitler doomsday bunker that was the pantheon official forums where apprentice developers could give them unconditional love and good feels. After that they completely left the public eye and stopped posting here/on SA/and went weeks without talking to people. Even the kickstarter itself went dark at times.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
It's my hope that without any real funding they can make this game happen. I guess it's a weird sort of thing. Brad had the backing of Microsoft's megabux for Vanguard and fucked it up majorly. Maybe if it's just a few guys making this game, they can make some kind of magic happen.

The sad thing is that Vanguard had so much potential. Still some of the coolest classes I've ever seen in an MMO. There was a good game in there deep down, but it was fucked by a shitty engine and the lack of any scripting IIRC.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Brad should never ever ever be in a management position, he simply doesn't have the skill set for it. He much better fills the Lead Game Designer role because he does have interesting ideas for MMO's. But his management on VG and with the original Pantheon team was just complete and utter incompetence. There were basically 2 reactions from the Pantheon team that I remember, 1) the devs that worked with him on VG were kicking themselves for giving him another chance & 2) the newcomers who couldn't believe how little coordination/communication there was.

Brad actually made me feel sorry for Silius... something I never thought I would utter.

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Pretty much this. I have no ill will towards the dev team. They just seizing an opportunity. Brad just handled the situation so bad. In a perfect world he would get funding and give jobs to the old team and make good on the wrong but that's not realistic.
I hope no one from the original "dev-team" will ever work on Pantheon again, they were the wrong kind of people for the project. The ones working on Pantheon right now seem to have much more enthusiasm for the game (and get shit done on top of that).

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That's what happens when your name is well known (The Oatmeal) and you go after the biggest internet meme's ever (cats). I don't know why the younger generation is so obsessed with cats.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I was honestly quite impressed with that video. It doesn't bother me in the least if most (if not all) of it is stock unity assets, it looked pretty damn good. And I like the realism of those graphics over the shitty cartoonish/stylized graphics of most modern MMO's. My only question is, why the fuck didn't they put in this much work into the game before they released their Kickstarter? I guarantee you they would've surpassed their funding goal if they had this much work done before they went asking for money. Such a waste.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Brad thought he could just show up. He really didn't want to earn it. He's forced to earn it now. Amazing how that works...

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
But we've also very recently begun working with Unity 5 release candidates thanks to our friends over at Unity (they took a look at the game during DICE and seemed really excited about a full AAA MMO being made with their engine and we've become fast friends).
Woah, guys, this is big news... the company they're buying assets from seems excited a customer is buying assets!

This is almost as exciting as me talking about my food blog to the skank at Burger King and her seeming excited to get me bbq sauce with my chicken nuggets!

One of the features we just got in is the ability to execute a Zone Event upon the completion of a quest.
Cool. Just like EQ and every game since in one form or another. Err, I mean, OMG WOW AMAZING UPDATE.

One of the next 'big' things we've begun working on are the actual classes. Class descriptions are being written up...
Buuuuu, wha about all that hard work done on writing up classes the night night before a Kickstarter update?!

At least Brad is finally admitting they're only now writing up actual class descriptions.

Ever since Vanguard, I've read posts and posts about how much people liked the class system. Even some of the more critical MMO players out there have had nothing but good things to say about the classes in that game, how they felt and played differently, that they didn't feel cookie-cutter at all. Well, we are determined to have the classes in Pantheon feel that way as well, and are putting a lot of effort into making sure they don't just feel traditional, but that they also include features and mechanics that really make playing one class over another a different experience.
Every game TRIES to do this. No devs sit down and say fuck it, let's make boring, bland classes. They always think they're putting a fun twist on old standards that will all play and feel different, etc. It's all about execution, and the only good execution I'd be excited to see from this team would involve a lethal injection.

In summary. They're buying assets, polishing up those third party assets, spending resources shooting promos for those assets... then talking about all the amazing things they're actually going to do that will make those third-party assets into a game... that they haven't really started or proven they're capable of doing.

I've got a bunch of raw steel in my back yard.... who wants to buy a bridge?!

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Create a game to steal Assets from player creators? Brirriant!
The theory goes that players creating content are at least playing something.... meanwhile in Pantheon the volunteers having their souls stolen from them aren't even getting to play anything.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
But we've also very recently begun working with Unity 5 release candidates thanks to our friends over at Unity (they took a look at the game during DICE and seemed really excited about a fullAAAMMO being made with their engine and we've become fast friends).
lol

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Every game TRIES to do this. No devs sit down and say fuck it, let's make boring, bland classes. They always think they're putting a fun twist on old standards that will all play and feel different, etc. It's all about execution, and the only good execution I'd be excited to see from this team would involve a lethal injection.\
Are you kidding? Every WoW class is the exact.fucking.same. They all perform the same roles - every role, and the only difference is the animations. The so-called 'overhauled' talent and specialization system is the most bland bullshit in the history of MMOs. Even Brad has enough design sense to stay the fuck away from that.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Are you kidding? Every WoW class is the exact.fucking.same. They all perform the same roles - every role, and the only difference is the animations. The so-called 'overhauled' talent and specialization system is the most bland bullshit in the history of MMOs. Even Brad has enough design sense to stay the fuck away from that.
You talk about WoW too much.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Hrm, maybe I've been too harsh.... I finally finished the video and this part really stood out:

One tool that has really accelerated our development so far has been the Unity asset store.... ...one thing we've been commuted to from the beginning is building a truly unique game world based on Pantheon's lore and story and legend.
It's really exciting to see third-party, purchased assets helping them build the truly unique game world we've all been hoping for based on Pantheon's vast lore, story and legend. Finally, Unity assets created by someone who has never heard of Pantheon will bring to life the Pantheon legend and lore that doesn't exist.

It's nothing short of divine providence.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Woah, guys, this is big news... the company they're buying assets from seems excited a customer is buying assets!

This is almost as exciting as me talking about my food blog to the skank at Burger King and her seeming excited to get me bbq sauce with my chicken nuggets!

Cool. Just like EQ and every game since in one form or another. Err, I mean, OMG WOW AMAZING UPDATE.

Buuuuu, wha about all that hard work done on writing up classes the night night before a Kickstarter update?!

At least Brad is finally admitting they're only now writing up actual class descriptions.

Every game TRIES to do this. No devs sit down and say fuck it, let's make boring, bland classes. They always think they're putting a fun twist on old standards that will all play and feel different, etc. It's all about execution, and the only good execution I'd be excited to see from this team would involve a lethal injection.

In summary. They're buying assets, polishing up those third party assets, spending resources shooting promos for those assets... then talking about all the amazing things they're actually going to do that will make those third-party assets into a game... that they haven't really started or proven they're capable of doing.

I've got a bunch of raw steel in my back yard.... who wants to buy a bridge?!
Best post in at least 10 pages