Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Make AA's be just for "flavor" stuff. Earn 5 AA's and your character can make fart noises. 10 AA's and you can wear a pimp hat. 15 AA's you get a dog. 20 AA's your dog will poop on command. 25 AA's you get a lute to play to pull in chicks.

You know, fun stuff.
Will never happen because that is all the shit they put in the cash shops these days lol.

I stick by what I said tho, AA would be tolerable if they eventually went obsolete like gear does. I can actually envision a few systems where you replace leveling with AA completely.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm ok with AA's.. but if people are worried about bloat there are ways to possibly work around that? just off the top of my head.. Instead of AA's that work as a passive stats that increase attributes permanently, maybe make them tradeable to your class NPC, where you trade AA's to buy augs for gear. Make them a permanent one time use. That way when you upgrade gear, you would have to purchase a new aug with more AA's.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Yes. You upgrade items with valor points now.

But I think this started from "you should have to farm AA's every level so leveling takes longer!' which is basically saying nothing more than "levels should take a long time"

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Make AA's be just for "flavor" stuff. Earn 5 AA's and your character can make fart noises. 10 AA's and you can wear a pimp hat. 15 AA's you get a dog. 20 AA's your dog will poop on command. 25 AA's you get a lute to play to pull in chicks.

You know, fun stuff.
I think AAs should include some meaningful decisions over how to evolve your character, but you are absolutely right that there can also be a ton of cosmetic or fun stuff included in them. That has the advantage that while a 8 year veteran may have 3k aa, but only a fraction of that are required, the rest are flavor or small benefits.

Another way to make the tons of AA less of a burden on latecomers is making sure that there is obvious focus in several directions, and the player can catch up in his prefered direction fast. The veteran that has them all has more options available but isnt tons better if you compare the AA section the newbie also learned. Design the AA like EVE, you as veteran can have 80m skill points and fly all ships and do market and mine and craft, but I as the newbie with my early 5-10 mill fly my ship of choice just fine.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Just to throw out another EQ'ish mechanic I would like to see , is a lack of limitations/rails on equipment.

Make most , if not all , equip trade-able and without level limits. I spent tons of time just farming for this and that drop on my druid/shaman to twink out a rogue or warrior or whatever. It was literally a game in itself for me. It encouraged alts , and made your equip you got as you leveled something you could pass down to friends just joining or another alt of yours etc.

The negatives of locking down equip with level requirements and bound to character far outweigh negatives of allowing twinking and free trading of equip.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Maybe you're right though. If Vanguard was intended to be EQ2 in design, and EQ3 was scrapped in favor of EQN it would have been like VG2. That makes Pantheon VG3. Makes sense.

My friend starting the Pantheon site is having major issues with it and I'm pretty sure he's shuttering it at least for the time being. Pretty sure his life is too stressful to add that layer of frustration on top. Full time internet detectoring for me again.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So in case Brad decides to answer more questions... I'm curious if they have an office they are working out of or just doing things remotely over the internet?

gogojira_sl

shitlord
So in case Brad decides to answer more questions... I'm curious if they have an office they are working out of or just doing things remotely over the internet?
If I had to guess they're working in someone's house, which likely has a home office. I could be completely and absolutely wrong though.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
Just to throw out another EQ'ish mechanic I would like to see , is a lack of limitations/rails on equipment.

Make most , if not all , equip trade-able and without level limits. I spent tons of time just farming for this and that drop on my druid/shaman to twink out a rogue or warrior or whatever. It was literally a game in itself for me. It encouraged alts , and made your equip you got as you leveled something you could pass down to friends just joining or another alt of yours etc.

The negatives of locking down equip with level requirements and bound to character far outweigh negatives of allowing twinking and free trading of equip.
I'm with ya here. So what if we twink a character. Its fun! So what if our older raid members hand down their gear to recruits. Thats how it should be. So what if we sell our gear. It creates a thriving marketplace. I'm 100% for ZERO restrictions on gear.

Aradune_sl

shitlord
Working out of the house/garage, telecommuting, etc. Funding should allow us to get a small office -- looking forward to that!

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Hey Brad , any tidbit allowed to say about possibility of tiers of kickstarter getting into alpha / beta ? Not asking for concrete answer , just if looking at the possibility.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ha I think the question of the day is outdoor or instance dungeon?! really looking forward to all this info coming out with the KS. We probably get off topic a lot

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Let me try and clear it up: AAA titles try to have every box checked, indies have to thrive in a limited domain, unconventional or otherwise. The unconventional part is irrelevant. The entire basis of what I'm saying is that indies must be good at a very specific thing and stop before feature bloat screws up the execution.
Well I agree, but that's irrelevant to whether or not indie devs try to do something new.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Mmm not from my own experience.
90% of the projects I backed on kickstarter was basically a reincarnation of old school games. (well all video games projects that I backed I mean).
Sierra/LucasArts style Adventure Games, Isometric Turn Based RPGs, Eye of the Beholder kind of Dungeon Crawlers, Old school TCGs... every single project was about bringing back an old school game that we, the players, want to experience again. With absolutely no innovation added.
That's true, but I was mostly referring to games that I've see that were trying to do their own thing; not be a remake.