Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
More like she already has a fulltime job, then comes home and does her own biz stuff at night and on weekends
smile.png

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That's a real woman right there. She need any employees? Joppa's probably gonna be out of a "job" in a couple months.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Pantheon 2: Electric Boogaloo

(For the older people out there..who remember a simpler time with kick ass break dancing movies)

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
LMK when someone posts a bullet point synopsis.
Last night I spent a good amount of time talking with Joppa about class design on twitch and wanted to relay some of the finer points of the system. Keep in mind that everything being discussed is pre-beta and subject to change. As I do not work for the Dev team none of this is 100% verified, but just my own record.

As we learned yesterday the entire system revolves around different color mana that is required to cast particular spell lines.

Mana Colors:

Red - (Rage, Aggression, Anger) This mana is used by classes like the Warrior and Rogue.
White - (Purity, Virtue) This mana is used by Cleric and Crusaders. Typically associated with preserving life.
Purple - (Arcane) Associated with Magic and used by Wizards or Enchanters.

Spells:

There are two types of spells in Pantheon currently verified.
1. Class Specific Spells
2. Lootable Spells that are Mana specific

Lootable spells will not be role altering spells. For example a lootable spell will not be a charm that alters the play style of your character, but rather enhances your class with additional flavor. They want players to view these spells as rare and have the feeling of ice comet in Everquest. These spells will drop for everyone, but be specific to a class or group of classes and will NOT be usable by every class.

Spells will have visual and audible progression. This means that a spell will evolve with your characters progression and a level 1 direct heal will be less impressive than a level 30 or level 50 heal. The naming of these spells and flavor text are both very important to the design team. What this means is a level 1 fire spell may be called flame flicker and a level 50 may be molten torrent. I did not clarify how the descriptions of these spells will be written, but from what I understand they will have some lore written into the spell rather than just giving points of damage.

Focus/Mastery

Rather than call these specializations I will refer to these as stances or spell sets. So the way this system works is basically at level 25(focus) and level 50(mastery) you unlock 2 advanced stances which help you fully realize the true potential of your class. Each stance has strategic value and unique color mana that is associated with them. Because of this you are required to have a set of gear specific to each stance to fully realize the potential of each stance. These advanced play styles do NOT effect your role as a class, but rather give you additional tools to accomplish the same goal.

Example:

Cleric: Main Healing Class in Pantheon. (not the only one)

Mastery's (aka Stances): Devout and Resolute

Devout - Focuses on enhancing the core identity of the cleric. Will improve your heals making them more potent while adding modifiers on them like AOE effects. This mastery uses Grey Mana and Light Plate armor.

Resolute - Focuses on front line CC and gains a line of protection bubbles for the group. This is a mitigation healer and protects players from taking damage directly. The front line CC comes in the form of a wall(force field) that the cleric can place in a tunnel or hallway that requires creatures to destroy before passing. This mastery uses Gold Mana and uses Heavy Plate armor because they typically will be on the front line.

Basically what this boils down to is that the cleric can choose based off of the situation if they want to focus on shielding or healing. This doesn't mean that the shielding stance won't have heals, because at their core they're a cleric.

Lets give an example strategically where you may want to have your clerics focus on their resolute mastery.

Raid Example

Your raid comes to a large room with a Boss and 20 smaller adds that come from all directions. You can't outright cc 20 adds so you decide the best course of action is to funnel them into a manageable position so that your tanks can control them. You place the tanks at the front of the raid and create 3 barriers in the form of a triangle so that the only point of entry is the front. When engaged the swarm cannot pass the walls and funnel to the entrance where they are picked up by the tanks.
In this particular situation it would have been much more difficult to control the swarm because they came at all angles at once, but by having walls with collision you're able to assist the tanks in their control while protecting your back line. This is just an example that I created to emphasis the role of this mastery.

Additional key points of mastery.

- The process of switching takes time and will not be instantaneous. You will need to put gear on with the mana type required to use those spells and then wait for that mana to fill.
- You will need to lock in your spells just like Everquest before the encounter starts.
- As you acquire more mana from gear it will increase your potential with each stance. I could see certain spells having a huge mana requirement meaning that spells would only unlock after you get to a certain gear thresh hold, but this is not confirmed.

What I take away from this is that we need to view this is additional tools for our class and not a role change. Classes will maintain their role and identity no matter which mastery they are using at the time. A cleric will not become a tank or a dps, but rather change the way they handle incoming damage based on their mastery.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
What is the point of different color mana if only used by certain classes? Does everyone have all colors and spells from those colors just different pools of each based on class/gear? Are there buffs/spells/abilities that only recovery certain types? Seems pointless if it's just 'this color goes to these classes'.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
What is the point of different color mana if only used by certain classes? Does everyone have all colors and spells from those colors just different pools of each based on class/gear? Are there buffs/spells/abilities that only recovery certain types? Seems pointless if it's just 'this color goes to these classes'.
The whole colored mana idea was Brad's baby. People told him it was dumb, but he just keeps with it. I think it's pointless and potentially convoluted.

Maric

N00b
/sigh I wish I could believe. Especially with EQN going down in flames. Joppa kind of gives me hope. At this point no reason not to give the team a shot to prove themselves.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Last night I spent a good amount of time talking with Joppa about class design on twitch and wanted to relay some of the finer points of the system. Keep in mind that everything being discussed is pre-beta and subject to change. As I do not work for the Dev team none of this is 100% verified, but just my own record.

As we learned yesterday the entire system revolves around different color mana that is required to cast particular spell lines.

Mana Colors:

Red - (Rage, Aggression, Anger) This mana is used by classes like the Warrior and Rogue.
White - (Purity, Virtue) This mana is used by Cleric and Crusaders. Typically associated with preserving life.
Purple - (Arcane) Associated with Magic and used by Wizards or Enchanters.

Spells:

There are two types of spells in Pantheon currently verified.
1. Class Specific Spells
2. Lootable Spells that are Mana specific

Lootable spells will not be role altering spells. For example a lootable spell will not be a charm that alters the play style of your character, but rather enhances your class with additional flavor. They want players to view these spells as rare and have the feeling of ice comet in Everquest. These spells will drop for everyone, but be specific to a class or group of classes and will NOT be usable by every class.

Spells will have visual and audible progression. This means that a spell will evolve with your characters progression and a level 1 direct heal will be less impressive than a level 30 or level 50 heal. The naming of these spells and flavor text are both very important to the design team. What this means is a level 1 fire spell may be called flame flicker and a level 50 may be molten torrent. I did not clarify how the descriptions of these spells will be written, but from what I understand they will have some lore written into the spell rather than just giving points of damage.

Focus/Mastery

Rather than call these specializations I will refer to these as stances or spell sets. So the way this system works is basically at level 25(focus) and level 50(mastery) you unlock 2 advanced stances which help you fully realize the true potential of your class. Each stance has strategic value and unique color mana that is associated with them. Because of this you are required to have a set of gear specific to each stance to fully realize the potential of each stance. These advanced play styles do NOT effect your role as a class, but rather give you additional tools to accomplish the same goal.

Example:

Cleric: Main Healing Class in Pantheon. (not the only one)

Mastery's (aka Stances): Devout and Resolute

Devout - Focuses on enhancing the core identity of the cleric. Will improve your heals making them more potent while adding modifiers on them like AOE effects. This mastery uses Grey Mana and Light Plate armor.

Resolute - Focuses on front line CC and gains a line of protection bubbles for the group. This is a mitigation healer and protects players from taking damage directly. The front line CC comes in the form of a wall(force field) that the cleric can place in a tunnel or hallway that requires creatures to destroy before passing. This mastery uses Gold Mana and uses Heavy Plate armor because they typically will be on the front line.

Basically what this boils down to is that the cleric can choose based off of the situation if they want to focus on shielding or healing. This doesn't mean that the shielding stance won't have heals, because at their core they're a cleric.

Lets give an example strategically where you may want to have your clerics focus on their resolute mastery.

Raid Example

Your raid comes to a large room with a Boss and 20 smaller adds that come from all directions. You can't outright cc 20 adds so you decide the best course of action is to funnel them into a manageable position so that your tanks can control them. You place the tanks at the front of the raid and create 3 barriers in the form of a triangle so that the only point of entry is the front. When engaged the swarm cannot pass the walls and funnel to the entrance where they are picked up by the tanks.
In this particular situation it would have been much more difficult to control the swarm because they came at all angles at once, but by having walls with collision you're able to assist the tanks in their control while protecting your back line. This is just an example that I created to emphasis the role of this mastery.

Additional key points of mastery.

- The process of switching takes time and will not be instantaneous. You will need to put gear on with the mana type required to use those spells and then wait for that mana to fill.
- You will need to lock in your spells just like Everquest before the encounter starts.
- As you acquire more mana from gear it will increase your potential with each stance. I could see certain spells having a huge mana requirement meaning that spells would only unlock after you get to a certain gear thresh hold, but this is not confirmed.

What I take away from this is that we need to view this is additional tools for our class and not a role change. Classes will maintain their role and identity no matter which mastery they are using at the time. A cleric will not become a tank or a dps, but rather change the way they handle incoming damage based on their mastery.
Do you believe that this is a real game or are you trolling Joppa?

Serious question.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Nailed it. Millions and millions of dollars on EQN and IT'S the vaporware. At least these guys are TRYING.
Not really accurate. I'm sure both have had some people working really hard to make a great game. Too bad both have incredibly shitty management. I'm sure both games will release at some point and I'm also just about as sure that both games will be horrible.