Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Who ever said that a shortened leveling experience was desired, the journey used to be the game.. now it is not.. that is part of the freakin problem. That is where RIFT failed for me, it was too short and they were cheap on content.
For me, the whole leveling process in games is awful, and I don't have the will to play a game where it's fast or slow. I like playing characters with full builds. Give me a game that gives me other avenues of character progression.

Adinirahc

Trakanon Raider
Honest answer: In EQ, it took time to level up. It also took time to get somewhere else. Because of these two things, you got to know the players around you. Whether you were soloing or not, you saw the same people day after day, week after week, month after month. You asked for help for CR's, you asked for ports, you asked for SoW's, you asked for haste, because no one class had all these spells, they created an interdependency among the players. In every modern MMO, you reach max level in less than a week, have no need to talk to anyone, group with random people with a dungeon finder, and never see them again. Modern MMO's have created all kinds of shortcuts in order to expedite the path to the finish line. Everquest was all about enjoying the ride.
/agree

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Yep, and this forum of retards still, to this day, has trouble understanding what MMO gameplay is - even after you spell it out, time after time.
Also, punk kids these days don't understand REAL music or that REAL women have nice, thick, musky muffs!

The world should return to being as God and Brad intended, my friends, AS GOD AND BRAD INTENDED!

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Honest answer: In EQ, it took time to level up. It also took time to get somewhere else. Because of these two things, you got to know the players around you. Whether you were soloing or not, you saw the same people day after day, week after week, month after month. You asked for help for CR's, you asked for ports, you asked for SoW's, you asked for haste, because no one class had all these spells, they created an interdependency among the players. In every modern MMO, you reach max level in less than a week, have no need to talk to anyone, group with random people with a dungeon finder, and never see them again. Modern MMO's have created all kinds of shortcuts in order to expedite the path to the finish line. Everquest was all about enjoying the ride.
Yeah...that's what guilds do for you now. Nothing you mention can't be done in a guild except for slow leveling. The exception is that you want everyone to play the game you desire. Once any game strays too far from exactly what you want to be playing...it's time to talk shit and move on. Games don't just sit in complete inertia and anyone that really wanted that game...played Vanguard. The newer games have plenty of social interaction, but there is actual game interaction thrown in. For most people, playing the game is the goal. Here, it's the chat channel.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The newer games have plenty of social interaction, but there is actual game interaction thrown in. For most people, playing the game is the goal. Here, it's the chat channel.
So why are those games becoming ghost towns after a few months?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
You're saving us from ourselves. Got it. We have a nerd knight here!
Stupid is sadly incurable. I settle for pointing it out and making fun of those afflicted. So what demographic do you think is going to play this game? You already said that you don't expect anyone in their 20s or under. Who's left that is a large enough crowd to support this project?

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
So why are those games becoming ghost towns after a few months?
Plenty of reasons. Poor gameplay, poor updating, poor world building, etc, etc,etc. Just depends on the game. EQ became a ghost town, Vanguard was always a ghost town, etc, etc, etc. The only game that hasn't become a ghost town is WoW so they win? There is little factual evidence to support your stance just like there is little factual support that people don't want another EQ. The one fact is that some people are desperate enough to support a con man just to get that game(I know it's been mentioned). I just don't see it. He has never shown that kind of success without heavy support(any success really).

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Stupid is sadly incurable. I settle for pointing it out and making fun of those afflicted. So what demographic do you think is going to play this game? You already said that you don't expect anyone in their 20s or under. Who's left that is a large enough crowd to support this project?
250k people bought VG knowing the mess it was in. I think some of those folks might be interested if there are positive reviews. what say you?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
250k people did NOT know what mess VG was in. Even on FoH is wasn't common knowledge as the time that it ran like hot shit as release. You're also talking about 10 years ago. I'd say a large portion of that 250k have moved on with their lives rather than stay in a permanent state of saltyness over the lack of bad games.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
250k people did NOT know what mess VG was in. Even on FoH is wasn't common knowledge as the time that it ran like hot shit as release. You're also talking about 10 years ago. I'd say a large portion of that 250k have moved on with their lives rather than stay in a permanent state of saltyness over the lack of bad games.
You seem pretty salty, actually. And most people did know about the VG mess at that point. The terrible beta feedback was out there, the hate with SoE existed when they bought it.. Let's not pretend that the people who bought that game were noobs, They were largely ex EQ people who knew exactly what was going on but bought it anyway.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
250k people bought VG knowing the mess it was in. I think some of those folks might be interested if there are positive reviews. what say you?
And that might be one of it's biggest problems. With all that money and support, Vanguard only averaged about a 7 out of 10. This is a garage based MMO with no true support that wouldn't even exist without Unity assets. Brad just has never showed the ability to pull off excellence without being lead to it with a ring in his nose.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And that might be one of it's biggest problems. With all that money and support, Vanguard only averaged about a 7 out of 10. This is a garage based MMO with no true support that wouldn't even exist without Unity assets. Brad just has never showed the ability to pull off excellence without being lead to it with a ring in his nose.
Nobody is saying they don't have to prove this shit. I'm just acknowledging they've made positive progress and appear to being going in the right direction. It's entertaining to see how rustled some of you get over it, tho..

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Nobody is saying they don't have to prove this shit. I'm just acknowledging they've made positive progress and appear to being going in the right direction. It's entertaining to see how rustled some of you get over it, tho..
Not at all rustled. I could care less since Im seeing tangible work being done on the VG emulator. I don't see this being half the game that was even with all it's issues. I just don't support cons. They don't ever seem to learn...maybe because they still get supported by fools?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not at all rustled. I could care less since Im seeing tangible work being done on the VG emulator. I don't see this being half the game that was even with all it's issues. I just don't support cons. They don't ever seem to learn...maybe because they still get supported by fools?
I know this is a tough concept.. I'm not giving them money. I'm just acknowledging their progress the last 6 months in this thread. If being fair is being a fool, I suppose you're right.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I know this is a tough concept.. I'm not giving them money. I'm just acknowledging their progress the last 6 months in this thread. If being fair is being a fool, I suppose you're right.
Not tough at all. I didn't mention you but the salt tastes great.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
So you think all 250k of those people, after the Vanguard experience, are going to be willing to give Brad another chance? You think a bunch of 30 somethings are going to actually play the game you want? Did you work for Tale of Tales?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So you think all 250k of those people, after the Vanguard experience, are going to be willing to give Brad another chance? You think a bunch of 30 somethings are going to actually play the game you want? Did you work for Tale of Tales?
Is it really out of the realm of possibility that a game like this could do 250k if the reviews are positive?