Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
sure... deflect how retarded you are. It makes sense you're licking stuff
Oh, I know you will be paying money...and I already know you are a fool just by your time at their forums. I still love seeing all that salt because you know the truth. Thsi shit isn't ever going to be that successful. That's right...cry those salties as I lick those tears.

rrr_img_100896.jpg

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh, I know you will be paying money...and I already know you are a fool just by your time at their forums. I still love seeing all that salt because you know the truth. Thsi shit isn't ever going to be that successful. That's right...cry those salties as I lick those tears.

rrr_img_100896.jpg
So you're on their forums reading my post.. Which I hardly post so not sure what you're talking about.. you're either a stalker or a closet fanboy..

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Is it really out of the realm of possibility that a game like this could do 250k if the reviews are positive?
Triple A studios can't even pull off 250k long term anymore and you expect me to even entertain that some no name fan made game will? Brad's competitors are not going to be AAA studios. He's going to be competing against EMUs. What EMU out there is even in the same ballpark as 250k?

Also you seem to be telling me that 100% of the people who played VG are waiting on the game? Is that correct?

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah...that's what guilds do for you now. Nothing you mention can't be done in a guild except for slow leveling. The exception is that you want everyone to play the game you desire. Once any game strays too far from exactly what you want to be playing...it's time to talk shit and move on. Games don't just sit in complete inertia and anyone that really wanted that game...played Vanguard. The newer games have plenty of social interaction, but there is actual game interaction thrown in. For most people, playing the game is the goal. Here, it's the chat channel.
Are you fucking retarded? If all these new games are so great, then why aren't you playing them? You and draegan, and the rest of the band of limp dicks spend every second posting here and not playing all the games that you claim are so god damn great.

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Are you fucking retarded? If all these new games are so great, then why aren't you playing them? You and draegan, and the rest of the band of limp dicks spend every second posting here and not playing all the games that you claim are so god damn great.
See right there's the problem. You think anyone playing a game should not have time to do anything else, like post in a forum. They should be camping shit dammit, or waiting for a boat, or better yet sitting on that boat and chatting. But they best better not have enough time to post their opinion about games on some gaming forum!!!

lol I can see why some of you need a video game to socialize in. I hope Pantheon gives you the time sink (I mean game features) you're looking for.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Is it really out of the realm of possibility that a game like this could do 250k if the reviews are positive?
total box sales? total players? 25k is about what i'd expect if this game actually launched and had positive reviews. More if they launch F2P free download, maybe approaching 100k.

You are truly delusional if you think anywhere close to 250k is even feasible. If the dev team working on this actually believes they'll get those numbers they are even more delusional, too delusional to even finish making it.

I think you are being nice with the emu comparison. EMU's aren't even this game's competitors, those are fan run versions of existing, popular franchises.

This is a fanmade game with no marketing no budget and stock unity assets. On top of that it's a niche game. It's competing with similiar circumstances niche titles, things like Tale in the desert or perpetuum online and shit. 1-2k peak simultaneous users, 10-20k total subscribers. And that's assuming people who buy boxes are rabid fans who's been following it and 40-80% of those who buy it will subscribe.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
See right there's the problem. You think anyone playing a game should not have time to do anything else, like post in a forum. They should be camping shit dammit, or waiting for a boat, or better yet sitting on that boat and chatting. But they best better not have enough time to post their opinion about games on some gaming forum!!!

lol I can see why some of you need a video game to socialize in. I hope Pantheon gives you the time sink (I mean game features) you're looking for.
The difference comes down to a respect, almost a deference, to the consistency of the amount of hardship the world presents itself as. This level of hardship dictates almost completely by itself the immersion factor of the game. Frodo didn't click a menu and insta-port to Mordor - there was hardship involved, and through that hardship, whether reading or watching the story, you became immersed in Middle Earth. There's no middle ground with this fact of human experience -- you can't give someone the ability to port around via dungeon finder queues and expect them to have attachment to your world or the people in it. That's what we want back, and that's what this garbage industry, Blizzard especially, has taken from us.

That's the biggest difference for those wanting another EverQuest compared to wanting the shitfest WoW has become.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I think you are being nice with the emu comparison. EMU's aren't even this game's competitors, those are fan run versions of existing, popular franchises.
Actually, I feel like if anyone could make their own MMO using EQEmulator's server code but with entirely new assets, it'd be immensely popular.

That's why I even agreed to attempt Tyen's crazy fantasy of getting EQ running in the Unity engine, but with EQEmulator's codebase.
Because if someone were to create an MMO framework that doesn't suck for Unity, it would enable any average joe to make their own MMO with limited resources.

And realistically speaking, does anyone give a shit how a game like EverQuest looks? All people appear to want (judging by Pantheon) is a game that plays like EQ1 but isn't actually EQ1. They could care less about the art style. If they cared, they wouldn't be playing P99/TLP so religiously. At the end of the day all people want is EQ in a new game engine.

Hell, I've been tempted to port the stuff I've been doing over to Unreal 4 because that's way better than fucking Unity. And personally, I don't even know if I am going to support browsers in my endeavors. It's a pain in the ass to support them from what I've heard.

Sevens

Log Wizard
total box sales? total players? 25k is about what i'd expect if this game actually launched and had positive reviews. More if they launch F2P free download, maybe approaching 100k.

You are truly delusional if you think anywhere close to 250k is even feasible. If the dev team working on this actually believes they'll get those numbers they are even more delusional, too delusional to even finish making it.

This is a fanmade game with no marketing no budget and stock unity assets. On top of that it's a niche game. It's competing with similiar circumstances niche titles, things like Tale in the desert or perpetuum online and shit. 1-2k peak simultaneous users, 10-20k total subscribers. And that's assuming people who buy boxes are rabid fans who's been following it and 40-80% of those who buy it will subscribe.
10k has been talked about as the target size by the Dev team...they can maintain the game and develop additional content with that amont..20k they have said would be a dream and anything over that is just gravy

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Aren't you the guy that thought EQN was going to be a hardcore pvp sandbox?? lol

So anyway, back to real conversations.. I really think 50k is a fair number. not just for this game but any game trying to do what they are with limited resources. At this point, I want them to succeed just to see how it fairs. Assuming I'm right about these news devs and they release a fun, playable game.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Aren't you the guy that thought EQN was going to be a hardcore pvp sandbox?? lol

So anyway, back to real conversations.. I really think 50k is a fair number. not just for this game but any game trying to do what they are with limited resources. At this point, I want them to succeed just to see how it fairs. Assuming I'm right about these news devs and they release a fun, playable game.
no?

50k is delusional. It looks like the developers are more realistic though. 10k is a good number to shoot for, they should be able to pull that off if they actually make a functional game and get good reviews.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
So you think all 250k of those people, after the Vanguard experience, are going to be willing to give Brad another chance? You think a bunch of 30 somethings are going to actually play the game you want? Did you work for Tale of Tales?
As long as the game is good, people dont give a fuck that brad got hooked on pills. People outside of rerolled are fairly forgiving about this kind of shit.

Make a good game people will play. Its pretty fucking simple.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Vanguard was pretty well done. It just suffered from a horrible launch, buggy chunking and vast empty zones. It also released at the worst possible time and no one was moving from WoW to VG. I actually enjoyed my few months in VG.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As long as the game is good, people dont give a fuck that brad got hooked on pills. People outside of rerolled are fairly forgiving about this kind of shit.

Make a good game people will play. Its pretty fucking simple.
That's always been the approach on other forums. It really depends on execution by the team. Carrots need to be there and that 1-10 content has to be engaging. The free for the first 5 or 10 levels approach would help them too as it allows easy access. If the game runs like shit it will get a ton of uninstalls in 30mins. Pretty simple but hard for most companies to execute.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Plenty of reasons. Poor gameplay, poor updating, poor world building, etc, etc,etc. Just depends on the game. EQ became a ghost town, Vanguard was always a ghost town, etc, etc, etc. The only game that hasn't become a ghost town is WoW so they win? There is little factual evidence to support your stance just like there is little factual support that people don't want another EQ. The one fact is that some people are desperate enough to support a con man just to get that game(I know it's been mentioned). I just don't see it. He has never shown that kind of success without heavy support(any success really).
There are only a few games that have become real ghost towns and those are the ones who have shut down. SWTOR makes boatloads of cash. RIFT still has a lower-end of a healthy population. FFXIV? Real healthy. Archeage, Elder Scrolls? All good. Aion just had a major expansion. Not very popular in the West though.

Wildstar is a ghost town, but that game was shit.

Honestly, all MMOs don't achieve 1+ Million subs. But they all have a solid core of around 200-500k players.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
You seem pretty salty, actually. And most people did know about the VG mess at that point. The terrible beta feedback was out there, the hate with SoE existed when they bought it.. Let's not pretend that the people who bought that game were noobs, They were largely ex EQ people who knew exactly what was going on but bought it anyway.
Also those people, at that time, basically bought every new MMO that came out regardless.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also those people, at that time, basically bought every new MMO that came out regardless.
That's a good point. I did not but a lot did. Most people now are much more cautious. Most of those peopl had at least a clue about the game and it's state, tho.. I don't think pantheon will dupe anybody, I think the free access will allow the game to live and die on its own merits.

I was asked to provide some kind of demographic and I pulled the closest thing most recently that we could look at. I don't know of any other games we can draw comparisons to that are more recent. The emu stuff isn't really a great number. I love old school games and I have friends that do but none of us play on those servers. We want new.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Vanguard was pretty well done. It just suffered from a horrible launch, buggy chunking and vast empty zones. It also released at the worst possible time and no one was moving from WoW to VG. I actually enjoyed my few months in VG.
But that doesn't sound very well done. You mean, they botched the timing and execution of the launch, the underlying tech, and the implementation of content? Oh, was that all?

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
That's always been the approach on other forums. It really depends on execution by the team. Carrots need to be there and that 1-10 content has to be engaging. The free for the first 5 or 10 levels approach would help them too as it allows easy access. If the game runs like shit it will get a ton of uninstalls in 30mins. Pretty simple but hard for most companies to execute.
This is where vanguard excelleD from a content perspective. If we consider every 10 levels a "tier" , each tier had not 1, but nearly 10 dungeon experiences across the world with exceptional loot where you have to use all the skills you have learned and leverage others to complete. Sure you could solo but th e premier content was these dungeon experiences. I have never played a game that had more dungeon content per tier other than single player D&D titles. It is what kept me ALT-ing in vanguard so much.

It is something we may never see again however. For me solo was what I did when I was about to get to that next dungeon so in VG I didn't solo much because the content was there to support grouping.