Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I'm not dismissing you, I'm just suggesting you look at some of those features in another light.
You can fuck off with that limp dick shit. You think there is anything good about a giant spellbook taking up your UI? What do you think it adds to anything else? Calling it a feature is asinine.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
You can fuck off with that limp dick shit. You think there is anything good about a giant spellbook taking up your UI? What do you think it adds to anything else? Calling it a feature is asinine.
Easy there superstar. If you read above that post you quoted you'll see I was no fan of the spell book thing either.

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
Easy there superstar. If you read above that post you quoted you'll see I was no fan of the spell book thing either.
I don't think anyone was a fan of the spellbook, but as you said, people use shit like that to justify removing features that made the game what it was... and really we are talking about something that went away after level 35 anyway.

Claiming things like medding and downtime were bad because they led to dying or corpse runs is just asinine. Its like saying if I didn't have this fucking health pool that was always getting depleted, I could just play the game more and not have to worry about losing. Give me a fucking break.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I don't think anyone was a fan of the spellbook, but as you said, people use shit like that to justify removing features that made the game what it was... and really we are talking about something that went away after level 35 anyway.

Claiming things like medding and downtime were bad because they led to dying or corpse runs is just asinine. Its like saying if I didn't have this fucking health pool that was always getting depleted, I could just play the game more and not have to worry about losing. Give me a fucking break.
Yeah, but there has to be a fun balance. Sitting there while you are supposed to be playing a game is really asinine. EQ was an early MMO so it was a learning experience. You want your players to be doing something most of the time unless THEY dont want to. There are still restrictions you can use without stuff like that. I'm also not a fan of just camping one spot for an entire evening. In over 15 years, you would think some progress is made on those fronts. Hard games are wanted. Smart restrictions sounds really good. Random time sinks developed because you didn't really finish your game? Let's keep those in the past.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't. I enjoyed camping with a group. As long as there were enough pulls, I was perfectly ok with that type of game play. I really don't see the issue in it. People who make that argument typically prefer their own instance dungeon, which is fine. I just see it more of a preference and nothing more. Sometimes I don't want to be stuck in a dungeon moving thru areas, so I enjoy the option.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
The good thing about camping is that people couldnt fuck up the boss fights. Nothing worse than going through something and then having the party disband because someone/everyone sucked. So, there are some good parts.Get pretty damn boring sometimes though.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Claiming things like medding and downtime were bad because they led to dying or corpse runs is just asinine.
Any game that feels the need to include something like /gems to keep it's 'players' entertained during enforced downtime due to mechanics is doing something very, very wrong.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Downtime was your choice. If you wanted to solo as a warrior, that's your choice -- and problem, not the gameworld's. If you instead grouped, then you would likely have zero or very little. You don't have time for a group? That's not the gameworld's problem either; it doesn't exist to solely cater to you -- it exists to provide you a holistic, immersive experience, and part of that requires that it denies you certain things.

I picture MMO gameplay really analogous to travel. Some people like to go to Disney; some people like to climb Kilimanjaro; some people like to ski down Everest. There are levels of hardship, levels of risk, and levels of excitement by these experiences. You don't have to 'respect the world' as much when you visit Disney as opposed to skiing down Everest, for example. It's really the same thing here. I want to play EQ and respect that world -- I don't want a WoW amusement park.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Can we all please just admit that everything about Vanguard combat mechanics were better than EQ except class balance (at times), animations, and needing some tweaks so energy wasn't quite so unlimited. If we start there, we'll be much fu'ther along than discussing EQ, that I loved, but not for the fucking combat.

I'll start:

Take Vanguards combat, make better animations, have an active dev crew balancing classes a bit better than having no dev crew for years, tweak energy regen dynamics so energy doesn't feel quite so unlimited, call energy mana again, have a 'memorize' function like EQ where you can only have a certain amount of offensive and defensive spells activated at once, make it so you have to sit and 'memorize' a spell like in EQ to change spells and that can cause aggro so you have to be smart, and fucking call energy mana again.

With a dual target system, all buffs group buffs and combined, and the reaction/intercept system.

Fuck the weakness system in the ass.

Done?

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
There should be come classes, preferrably utilitarian classes, that have unlimited resources. It should take active management, ala EQ shaman, but it should be there.

But there should be a balance in the sense that it either is a buncha mini-downtimes while they manage it, or they shouldn't be as strong.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Yeah, management tools are great. Problem with Vanguard for some classes like Disc and BMG is it really wasn't ever a worry and took little to manage. It's about having to manage it, but management means it's limited by the methods of management. Better to say active management, because one could argue mana was unlimited via inactive management in EQ as long as you had time to med

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Can we all please just admit that everything about Vanguard combat mechanics were better than EQ except class balance (at times), animations, and needing some tweaks so energy wasn't quite so unlimited. If we start there, we'll be much fu'ther along than discussing EQ, that I loved, but not for the fucking combat.

I'll start:

Take Vanguards combat, make better animations, have an active dev crew balancing classes a bit better than having no dev crew for years, tweak energy regen dynamics so energy doesn't feel quite so unlimited, call energy mana again, have a 'memorize' function like EQ where you can only have a certain amount of offensive and defensive spells activated at once, make it so you have to sit and 'memorize' a spell like in EQ to change spells and that can cause aggro so you have to be smart, and fucking call energy mana again.

With a dual target system, all buffs group buffs and combined, and the reaction/intercept system.

Fuck the weakness system in the ass.

Done?
Take my money!

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There seems to be a push for an eq type class system in pantheon. Although I wouldn't mind, I think coming closer to VG would be the way to go. It doesn't seem like they've fleshed out the class system quite yet so who knows. It's important to get some diversity among the class tree lines. Especially in regards to healing and tanking.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
There seems to be a push for an eq type class system in pantheon. Although I wouldn't mind, I think coming closer to VG would be the way to go. It doesn't seem like they've fleshed out the class system quite yet so who knows. It's important to get some diversity among the class tree lines. Especially in regards to healing and tanking.
Yeah, the change to fundamentally EQesque classes was disappointing to me, i would have prefered an amalgamation of classes from different games leading to different gameplay styles and synergies.