Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Boloboy

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I just pray mmo`s get away from the follow the glowing trail and shiny upgrades every other moss snake type mob. It really makes for a boring game and leveling experience.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I just pray mmo`s get away from the follow the glowing trail and shiny upgrades every other moss snake type mob. It really makes for a boring game and leveling experience.
Yeah, I'm starting to feel like this video applies to MMOs too.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Yeah, I'm starting to feel like this video applies to MMOs too.
While he isn't wrong about the games, but he is wrong about most of the developers. Games have changed in the way he describes deliberately and for good reason... because they sell MUCH more in general. They sell more because their simplicity allows them to reach a broader audience, which is the only way to justify the cost. You find the same thing in any commercial art, from movies to music.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Agreed, they sell more. But I think this is why we need MMOs made by smaller teams NOT trying to pander to that WoW audience. And while I'm skeptical of Brad being the guy to do it, I think someone will... Eventually.

As the costs and technical know how needed to make an MMO drops, the higher that chance is. Personally I hope Pantheon is real, gets released, and is good. I think we all feel that hole left by EQ for something more meaningful.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
While he isn't wrong about the games, but he is wrong about most of the developers. Games have changed in the way he describes deliberately and for good reason... because they sell MUCH more in general. They sell more because their simplicity allows them to reach a broader audience, which is the only way to justify the cost. You find the same thing in any commercial art, from movies to music.
That's why I'm happy there has been so much progress made by smaller teams using engines like Unity. Investors don't want to put money up towards a niche game so there needs to be a cheaper way of doing things.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_106139.jpg

rrr_img_106140.jpg

Yeah so did this. Pretty pictures mean nothing.
The difference there is many, many years of development, an insanely huge budget and a massive development team. Still wish that game would have happened, I actually liked Reckoning and wanted to see more of Amalur.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
The difference there is many, many years of development, an insanely huge budget and a massive development team. Still wish that game would have happened, I actually liked Reckoning and wanted to see more of Amalur.
Good points. The game really failed because Curt had(has?) no idea of the true value of money and no oversight. It's like the whole company was run by an investment manager for a football player. I would have liked to see it succeed as well.

Tenks

Unlike Brad Curt had no "The Vision" so it ended up just a jumbled mess of ideas with no real direction to take the game. This is what happens when you try and crowdsource your design to a bunch of ex-EQ retards on a FoH message board. You get 1000 different opinions on different mechanics and you can't figure out what to do. Do you implement something. Then change it. Then change it again. Then go a whole new direction. Then change it. Then iterate it again. Then scrap it. And then suddenly you've just blown through 300M dollars.

Greyform

He had it in his head it was going to take 100's of millions to make his game. It's too bad he didn't have better advice than Steve Danuser.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm not sure how anyone was excited about Schilling's game. There was literally 0 information.

Greyform

right? How can you spend millions on a product and think NOT promoting it is a good idea?

but for us the excitement was obviously Curt coming to FoH and discussing it. We at least had a general idea that it was a "generic fantasy mmo" made by someone who had roots in EQ and WoW

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I'm not sure how anyone was excited about Schilling's game. There was literally 0 information.
For me at was Curt seemingly being so invested in the project (less financially, more emotionally) and my never ending search for the next big thing that won't happen. I remember him saying things I liked (within the context of this game because his world views are fuuuuuuuuuuucked) and I actually enjoyed Reckoning. It was a lot of false hope but hey, that's the MMO industry.

Hearing it was a WoW clone after it shit the bed was proof enough that it just would have been the same old shit.

It was dumb to get hyped but that kinda goes for anything in the genre these days.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
For me at was Curt seemingly being so invested in the project (less financially, more emotionally) and my never ending search for the next big thing that won't happen. I remember him saying things I liked (within the context of this game because his world views are fuuuuuuuuuuucked) and I actually enjoyed Reckoning. It was a lot of false hope but hey, that's the MMO industry.

Hearing it was a WoW clone after it shit the bed was proof enough that it just would have been the same old shit.
He was there to make cash. Pure and simple. And had the boneheaded idea that just because he slapped McFarlane and Salvatore on the box it would automatically be the IP of the future. To the point where they were making toys, comic books, books, before they even came out with an IP to begin with. Then acquired Big Huge Games for Ascendant, change the name, and launch the title based on some quick editing changes to a mostly completed game that had nothing to do with 38 studios to begin with other than it was bought and repackaged before launch taking advantage of THQ's financial difficulties.

Then raked the RI taxpayers over the coals which I said would happen long before it happened. Not to mention those poor employees.

And now? Where the relics stand and which games to stay away from? Vogel is at Battlecry, Sage is with Pitchford ready to con more folks out of their cash (Ha! Ironic), Firor is somehow still at Zenimax Online but might actually be listening for once, Schilling is back to commenting on baseball, and somehow Danuser, one of the biggest idiots to enter the industry, managed to sleeze his way into Blizzard. McQuaid has a large deck against him, but hey if he can pull it off, good for him. Just don't come at us with phony bullshit anymore. Pretty sure that ship has sailed across this entire industry.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I know Ut, you're 100 percent right. They literally showed fucking nothing of the game until it was dead. Not sure why I let myself get caught in the hype. Ah well, in the end I had a decent time with BHG's outing so there's that.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I know Ut, you're 100 percent right. They literally showed fucking nothing of the game until it was dead. Not sure why I let myself get caught in the hype. Ah well, in the end I had a decent time with BHG's outing so there's that.
I played it when it was on sale for 5 bucks. Funny how KoA became the entirety of the IP after BHG wrote the entire thing and from my opinion, RA Salvatore changing a few names and stamping his name on it.

gogojira_sl

shitlord