Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
You also have to consider that many of the costs in running the game are included in the box. Sub fees are basically paying a team to work on content that you have to pay for anyway. A game if even a minor success will continue to generate box sales through the life of the product. As we have seen in the MMO space over the last 10 years, once you actually launch the game, you can change your financial model and still keep the game running and profitable.

IDGAF who the game is being made for or how they will promote it. If the game is fun people are going to play it.
You can say I don't give a fuck. Is IDGAF the new acronym for I am at work and they may see me write the word fuck? Honestly curious about how I don't give a fuck is now an acronym.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I enjoy reading your commentary Ut. The screenshot 2 posts below, in my eyes, supports what you have to say. It's hard to turn a blind eye to his track record. This notion of game development 2.0 funded by charity kind of makes me sick. People who own million dollar homes and exotic cars have no business asking for handouts.
Yeah that has always bugged me. And now publishers, like EA, are starting up small no name companies for new IP projects knowing full well they are only doing so to mitigate risk when they reap all the rewards.

Kickstarter is a fucking sham 90% of the time inside the gaming industry exclusively. They have other sites now which reward the "investor" with a stake in the company along with the game. That's a better play and way more ethical.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Wrong. He fucked over everyone working for him at Sigil Games, and the entire support base from Microsoft of whom he lied to. He fucked over SOE and Smedley, and he fucked over his gaming fan base by outright lying about features non-existent in the game weeks before launch. He also fucked over his family and friends, and yes, fucked over himself. Seriously, you have been here a long time. How do you not remember all this? And why are you screaming at a wall with your hands over your ears in protest if you cannot remember?

Wrong. He had 4 years of funding from Microsoft (And a lot of it) and mismanaging that inappropriately is one thing, but outright lying to the progress of his game to the publisher is NOT common place and MS had no choice but to pull the plug on the sinking ship. At the time, Microsoft was one of the best publishers to work for in the business allowing creativity and free roam of ideas as long as you stayed on schedule. They were hands off to the point it actually hurt Microsoft - and he not only blew that opportunity, he blew the opportunity for his employees and hundreds of thousands of gamers looking on while he blew smoke up EVERYONE'S asses.

Maybe I should educate you on what happened. During a milestone meeting the Sigil Team was showing what had been accomplished over 4 YEARS of development and using Microsoft's money to the publishing team. What they showed was roughly 90,000% more laughable than the launch of the game itself, and Microsoft took about 5 minutes to decide that in no way, shape, or form, was this guy capable of getting anything done, and also realized all those milestones previously/supposedly hit? WERE NOT. (They literally were laughing at everything they saw... Literally) It had nothing to do with anyone pulling poor Brad's dream away. He fooled people out of millions on the back end, and tried to do the same to his gaming community who were about to buy the retail box on the front end.

You should have kept up over the last 7 years then. Your ignorant opinion isn't on us. Do your research before trying to paint a Randy Pitchford clone Little Bo Peep.
Hey Ut i am done with this place... your posts have been fun and enlightening...this was not directed toward you at all and i was a bit too general in that statement...however its clear who those are behaving like douchebags.. and clear when others look at the project with intelligent skepticism as any reasonable person should.

Later.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Hey Ut i am done with this place... your posts have been fun and enlightening...this was not directed toward you at all and i was a bit too general in that statement...however its clear who those are behaving like douchebags.. and clear when others look at the project with intelligent skepticism as any reasonable person should.

Later.
Yay! Convo gets both balls back now. Shab is slinking back into some hole somewhere(I bet I know where). Truth hurts but Ut gave it gentle.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yay! Convo gets both balls back now. Shab is slinking back into some hole somewhere(I bet I know where). Truth hurts but Ut gave it gentle.
you're still stalking me I see.. still following my posting on the official site too? Creep!

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
you're still stalking me I see.. still following my posting on the official site too? Creep!
How am I stalking you lol? I'm just mentioning the guys who hang off Brad's nuts in the thread where we talk about the guys who hang off Brad's nuts. Where else am I supposed to do that? What else am I supposed to talk about? The new website that took 9 months? Done with that. Not nearly as fun as seeing the guys that don't care...care.

Edit- Honestly I am a bit surprised you aren't a bit happier. You get both back and you are unhappy?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Holy fuck what a pussy. Convo has been taking shots for over a year and always bounces back. Shab gets beat up for a day and fucking NO MAS!

@UT All the cool kids are using IDGAF.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm fine. You act like I wasn't aware that my decision to support this project would be unpopular around here... You guys see a failed project, I see a small, dedicated and passionate team. We will eventually know the outcome of all this. There really isn't much more to it.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAH AHA

rrr_img_111262.jpg
the "its widely agreed on by all parties that this project took in roughly 145k" part always cracks me up

no one was even keeping track, looking back now they have to guess how much they took in

lo fucking l. professional as fuck.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
What is it? What are the actual numbers? I sure as hell don't know..
I'm a bit behind in this thread, but thought I'd answer this to give a bit of perspective, because I actually have real numbers (well, partial, you can determine how useful they are /shrug).

Caveat: game is FTP but has subs + in game purchases, I don't know the numbers on either - runs between 60k and 150k concurrent users depending on day of the week and time of day.

Has 60-something paid staff members in CS and mod crew, which includes supervisors. Mod grunts make about minimum wage, CS grunts make about 40% more. To be fair, because of the nature of the game, it requires a higher cs/mod staff than your average online game.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Remember when you used to play MMO's instead of spending all day on forums talking about MMO's? Those were the days...

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
Some of the estimates of Pantheon's potential playerbase are a bit low, but honestly that depends mostly on how many features make it in game and how well polished the game is.

I frequent a number of forums and the reoccurring theme on all of them is basically, "Bring back the harder 'oldschool' style of MMO." Not everyone agrees on exactly what that is, and quite a few indie games have emerged to fill that niche, but Pantheon is definitely unique among them.

Vanguard pulled something like 200k and it was well know that the game was unfinished and incredibly buggy. Its unlikely that Pantheon will only pull a quarter of that with no box fee, especially if the game plays well. That is however, thebig if.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user