Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hmmm sounds to me like you're an EverQuest fan, not an MMORPG fan. GW2s levelling experience has been the best industry wide since very early WoW IMO. If you didn't enjoy that, you probably don't enjoy MMOs across the board.
To each their own, I was bored to tears with GW2s leveling experience.

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
200K Box sales and 200k subs are not even remotely the same thing.

vg had maybe 50-100k subs after the free month. If pantheon is actually a real thing and is ever released it would be a miracle to pull 20% of that. 10-20k is an optimistic estimate.
The point is not that Pantheon will definitely achieve x because y, but that there is an audience out there looking for that kind of game. Of course Vanguard tanked after that, but despite everyone knowing it was half complete and riddled with bugs, people held out hope it would scratch that itch. Those people are still waiting, many of them here, and ifsomeonedoes it right it would likely catch on with a new subset of players as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
People are still waiting, and with a strong possibility of once they start actually playing it and realize they do not have time to put up with mundane shit anymore in an MMORPG, they will soon quit and play things which won't suck up 8 hours of their day to progress. Time they do not have any longer.

I think it is going to be hilarious when this twist of events happens if this game ever gets released.

Bruman

Golden Squire
The problem is this forum isn't a good gauge. Somehow even with kids I've managed some good stints in P99 which the same old bullshit. I can't currently, but I did when I wanted to. P99 existing is proof that some people will make time for it, some won't, and that's fine.

Whether or not *enough* people can to keep the game afloat is all that really matters though.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
The problem is this forum isn't a good gauge. Somehow even with kids I've managed some good stints in P99 which the same old bullshit. I can't currently, but I did when I wanted to. P99 existing is proof that some people will make time for it, some won't, and that's fine.

Whether or not *enough* people can to keep the game afloat is all that really matters though.
Don't worry. I am sure by that time Brad will fire everyone in the parking lot again, find a way to keep the game up and running with a bare minimum of staff, and occasionally sell some trinkets on the cash shop to maintain some type of revenue stream, which will only benefit his wallet.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Doesn't unity use that detour lib one of the crytek guys wrote? I've been modifying Unreal's implementation and alot of my googling landed in unity related pages.

It is all somewhat automagical in unreal. I'm modifying it for griddy xcom style pathing.
Unity has a bunch of libraries for pathing locally. It's network prediction that Unity doesn't do that well in an MMO-style setting.

You have to know where to place NPC x at a specific velocity going in a certain direction. And also, you have to do that efficiently and 'through the wire'. Easy in theory but you don't want NPCs walking into walls or anything.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
The problem of the Unity asset store (or any asset store) is that you end up with no style. You don't have a personal style, you have a generic type of look. Your in-game screenshots are not immediately recognizable as "this comes from XXX" (at least if you turn off your UI, which I assume would be distinctive).

Despite the cartoon and whatever look, you can look at a screenshot from WoW (or many other games) and you immediately know it's from there. Mash together stuff done by independent artists, none of which started from the same concept art drawings from a team managed by a lead concept artist, and you end up without any visual identity. That's why what everyone does before they even purchase their first license from 3DS or Maya, or whatever. Establish an identity for your game. For Ryzom, we started by making not only concept art, but cardboard/gum maps so we'd know exactly what the game world would look like before we even started doing the first 3D models.

Asset store, however, are good enough to use if you're making game systems, because they're a lot better than floating checkered cubes all around.
That's a great point and I respect that. I've never been that much of a storyteller or writer and I put a lot of trust into making things mechanically sound over logically sound, so that's why I don't see it from that perspective.

I feel as though actual documentation of your game is important, I'll agree there. But things about your story and how you tell a game should be separate from the mechanics of the game, at least if you're talking about a game like Pantheon.
I'm also a little biased because I don't really have a lot of rendering engine experience outside of shaders. More of what I'm great at is the 'invisible' stuff like the server systems and networking code.

PS; Ryzom is probably one of my favorite projects in industry. Kudos for that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
didn't you hack H1z1, Secrets? At least I thought it was you? Always wondered why some of these companies don't reach out to people to test for shit like that.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm sorry but what kind of game is Pantheon supposed to be exactly? People keep talking about an audience existing for this type of game but I don't see a game anywhere, and the concepts we have seen are the kind of shit you'd see on a napkin at a bar after a few drinks. Nobody knew what the fuck the game was supposed to be after the KS, after the website opened up donations, after the cult took over, after the cult left, and nobody knows now.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
didn't you hack H1z1, Secrets? At least I thought it was you? Always wondered why some of these companies don't reach out to people to test for shit like that.
Haven't even purchased the game, must be another Secrets. But I hear the game's easy to hack and the only thing keeping people out is the price barrier.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
This thread being this active has alot to say with how desperate most of us are for a real mmo, one that isnt standard spoonfed quest hubbing instance lobbying in a city.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Haven't even purchased the game, must be another Secrets. But I hear the game's easy to hack and the only thing keeping people out is the price barrier.
ah ok, I thought you were the person.. Maybe I got mixed up from another thread. Someone on here was able to exploit a game using their knowledge of the code

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
People are still waiting, and with a strong possibility of once they start actually playing it and realize they do not have time to put up with mundane shit anymore in an MMORPG, they will soon quit and play things which won't suck up 8 hours of their day to progress. Time they do not have any longer.

I think it is going to be hilarious when this twist of events happens if this game ever gets released.
You have a strange way of misremembering EverQuest. The average player wasn't the neckbeard you obviously were. The vast majority of players were casual. I played quite casually myself at many points. Yet, I was still excited to play even a little here and there because the game was simply fun both for reasons mentioned by Etchazz and other reasons. Not everyone has to be the best of the best to enjoy a fantasy mmo, especially if the game captures the imagination of players. Thats the difference between a good sandbox/virtual world and the common themepark lobby game where the only thing to do is compare epeens.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
You have a strange way of misremembering EverQuest. The average player wasn't the neckbeard you obviously were. The vast majority of players were casual. I played quite casually myself at many points. Yet, I was still excited to play even a little here and there because the game was simply fun both for reasons mentioned by Etchazz and other reasons. Not everyone has to be the best of the best to enjoy a fantasy mmo, especially if the game captures the imagination of players. Thats the difference between a good sandbox/virtual world and the common themepark lobby game where the only thing to do is compare epeens.
I'd like to know exactly what about EQ is sandbox? Especially more so than other MMOs? The trade skills didn't really affect the game much from what I remember. The EQ I remember had lots of grouping and camping which is not at all sandbox. I consider that a form of theme-park actually. When you go into a zone and the first thing you ask is who is camping what...that sounds like a theme-park. "Hey kids, BB rollercoaster is full right now...we either wait or go to the next camping spot(ride)". Considering this game is based off item acquisition(just like WoW), the primary sign of advancement IS showing off your epeen. I'm thinking you are the one misremembering EQ. It had more exploration and some punishing aspects to ensure no one got to the unfinished end too quickly...and a Flaming Sword of Brad somewhere, or so he promised.