Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Seed Funding Achieved - Game Development to Continue | Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen | MMORPG.com

Visionary Realms has announced that it has secured seed funding to continue the development of Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen. According to Venture Beat, the funding will see the game extended beyond the currently available ten playable levels.

"The new seed funding will help the Carlsbad, Calif.-based company take a big step forward in developing its fantasy role-playing MMO, said McQuaid, chief creative officer at Visionary Realms in an interview with GamesBeat at the Gaming Insiders event last week. Indeed, since Visionary Realms is taking on successful MMOs like World of Warcraft, it's going to need a fair amount of money to get its project off the ground."
Fuck yeah

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Seed Funding Achieved - Game Development to Continue | Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen | MMORPG.com

Visionary Realms has announced that it has secured seed funding to continue the development of Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen. According to Venture Beat, the funding will see the game extended beyond the currently available ten playable levels.

"The new seed funding will help the Carlsbad, Calif.-based company take a big step forward in developing its fantasy role-playing MMO, said McQuaid, chief creative officer at Visionary Realms in an interview with GamesBeat at the Gaming Insiders event last week. Indeed, since Visionary Realms is taking on successful MMOs like World of Warcraft, it's going to need a fair amount of money to get its project off the ground."
That article is just a copy/paste of the VB article that was posted a few days ago. Nothing new at all. We've already covered that territory.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
That article is just a copy/paste of the VB article that was posted a few days ago. Nothing new at all. We've already covered that territory.
It must be Smedley who is interested in one last roll of the dice.

He would have better odds placing all that money on one number in Roulette (If it is Smedley who is the seeder)

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
The VB article isn't clear if this is a new investment or the one Convo's been mentioning for a while now. Both of those articles could just be referring to something months old because, let's face it, no one besides RR is even paying attention to this.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Anyone have insight on Smed's and Brad's relationship? Not anything to do with Pantheon.... Just general curiosity.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Anyone have insight on Smed's and Brad's relationship? Not anything to do with Pantheon.... Just general curiosity.
YdcpUEn.gif

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>

XkXq2kR.png

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I doubt Smed would invest in Pantheon, the design goal isn't a mobile cash shop game, so it goes against the soul of Smed's futurist game design vision.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
How do you know they aren't going to have a cash shop. It's a great idea. In Pantheon you pay $10 to import a $5 art asset from the Unity store. Not only does Pantheon make a cut as middle man, but the purchaser gets to help contribute to the 'development' of Pantheon!

Lammy_sl

shitlord
From the horses mouth.

"Smed is a friend, a mentor, someone who believed in me and gave me fantastic opportunities, and as I've said in the past, something everyone should know: without Smed, there would be no EverQuest."

"I did mention we don't talk as often as I'd like -- we did come to a point a few years back where we disagreed on something pretty fundamental: He believes the MMO genre has not only changed, but the audience has changed, and that to make successful online games, the 'old' approaches are obsolete. I had to respectfully disagree."

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
From the horses mouth.

"Smed is a friend, a mentor, someone who believed in me and gave me fantastic opportunities, and as I've said in the past, something everyone should know: without Smed, there would be no EverQuest."

"I did mention we don't talk as often as I'd like -- we did come to a point a few years back where we disagreed on something pretty fundamental: He believes the MMO genre has not only changed, but the audience has changed, and that to make successful online games, the 'old' approaches are obsolete. I had to respectfully disagree."
Smed's not wrong. The market has changed greatly. Does that mean Smed's actual approach to games is correct? No. But Brad needs to wake up and realize that EQ 3.0, as much as I want it, isn't a big AAA MMO. He needs MANY QOL improvements and class mechanic improvements. People aren't going to turn on auto attack and hit 1 every 12 seconds anymore for minimal dps gains...Even when I quit in OoW playing a beastlord was basically cast slow if I was the only slower, and have 3 buttons every 12-18 seconds. I COULD make it busier, but it was mana inefficient. I had paragon that was basically a "Oh, we're low? Heres fuckin this shit" on like a 6 or 12 minute timer.

EDIT: 666th post. Devil worship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I've been playing on the EQ2 TLE servers, as it's the only MMOish thing that appeals to me ATM. This game actually gets brought up a lot in various groups I've been in. So at least it's being talked about. Whether it's released or not is another thing lol.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I've been playing on the EQ2 TLE servers, as it's the only MMOish thing that appeals to me ATM. This game actually gets brought up a lot in various groups I've been in. So at least it's being talked about. Whether it's released or not is another thing lol.
Even though i'm a little burned out from EQ2, I do think it is the best of both worlds. It has a bit of an old school feel but still offers a lot of what newer MMO's advertise. I still believe EQ2 does the best with Housing than any other MMO and I like their Auction House better than any other. I guess it's all in what you're use to.

I don't think Smed is wrong but I think it is better said that the audience became more diverse. Our kind are very much still present, but we were invaded by a different breed once WoW hit. Computer gaming was it's own community and niche for a long time but Blizzard built a bridge and appealed to an entirely new group of gamers. If you want to see the worst of them, go play LoL. I think a lot of things happened at once actually. Our culture changed, the gaming world evolved, and not to mention we aged 10 or more years.

I don't think MMO players changed but the makeup of the audience changed. To make a successful MMO, by WoW numbers and standards, you have to appeal to a group that want and easy path, instant gratification, and no consequence. That's a very different game than we played and for some reason we can't seem to find some middle ground.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Smed's not wrong. The market has changed greatly. Does that mean Smed's actual approach to games is correct? No. But Brad needs to wake up and realize that EQ 3.0, as much as I want it, isn't a big AAA MMO. He needs MANY QOL improvements and class mechanic improvements. People aren't going to turn on auto attack and hit 1 every 12 seconds anymore for minimal dps gains...Even when I quit in OoW playing a beastlord was basically cast slow if I was the only slower, and have 3 buttons every 12-18 seconds. I COULD make it busier, but it was mana inefficient. I had paragon that was basically a "Oh, we're low? Heres fuckin this shit" on like a 6 or 12 minute timer.

EDIT: 666th post. Devil worship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On the flip side, most MMORPG's now have so much ability bloat and useless abilities to wade through it's gotten to the point where if you want to be any good you may as well induce yourself into a Meth crazed ADHD session.