Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
1. Dungeons start at level 6; no reason to waste our time with story and questing. No GPS maps. No insta-traveling. Harsh Death Penalty, no F2P Microtransaction / Shop / Freemium Shit. A combination of Skill and Level system. Spells fizzle and can be resisted quite often (which means things are uncertain, you're on your toes all the time)...just to name a few things. These things we've always cried for; and we're finally going to have. My /play time is going to be embarrassing that's for sure I just hope I won't get laid off. I know EverQuest fucked me hard the 16 years ago.
Some of that I agree with and maybe there are enough folks like you and Pantheon would be fine, but I just don't see it. It's not just MMOs that have changed in the last 10 years, it's gaming. It's faster, it's action packed, and focused. I'm ok with no microtransaction and Freemium shit, but the no-insta traveling would kill a game for me, especially if people are spread out and you want to run dungeons together.

I actually had high hopes for that Kings Road or whatever the shit it was called. Basically no open world, you just queue for a dungeon and your off. If you die you fail the dungeon, seems harsh at first but that's the risk vs reward part. Of course that game sucked and people got their money back from Steam(lol, glad I'm not an early adopter anymore) so it set a bad example.

Even when I log on to FFXIV, which I play sparingly now, I'll just do a dungeon or trial cause they are fun. My particular problem with MMOs is I no longer like the open world. When all of the "quest" or "open world" mobs you solo are just pressing the same sequence of 5 buttons it gets old and boring fast. Arguably some dungeons/trials are like that too but at least there is some element of effort and chaos if you are not overgeared or farming low level shit. I just really have no desire to run around collecting flower pedals and sapling milk anymore. It's boring and not a challenge anyway, so what's the point?

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Is this another of those silly comebacks that you cannot play a game + respond on a forum at the same time? Thus everyone who post must hate and not play any current MMOs because you couldn't possibly do both. You should feel embarrassed using the same laughably incorrect argument etchazz did.

Or some weird idea that EQ was so engaging that you wouldn't be able to do both at the same time? Because that would be even more hilarious.
That's similar to the argument that no one knows what someone else would play. While you can't know what they may try, you sure as hell do know what they are playing now. As Draegan mentioned, Overwatch, Minecraft, LoL, etc have a huge playerbase. EQ has a few neckbeards bragging about 6 boxing on their multiple accounts in the day. Which one seems like the better bet for publishers and developers? Why has Blizzard pushed forward with Hearthstone, Overwatch, etc? Because they know what people want to play and where younger players(and older) are focusing their time. Sure, you can make an old school MMO for that 10k+ who just want EQ type games again. But then you get guys like Brad making them...

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
We just need to face it. We used to have a ton of free time when we were younger and/or students and/or working dead end jobs figuring out what we wanted to do with our lives other than sit around playing video games... but you have to remember we got older and have jobs and responsibilities now, and there just simply aren't any more young idiots willing to waste their youth, much less on video games, because we were literally the last surviving generation on Earth. And even back then we only all played EQ because it was literally the only thing to do, you either played EQ or stared at a wall.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I think BDO might of been my last MMO that requires leveling/grinding. I just don't have the time for shit any more. I play more Clash Royale than anything else these days.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
I think BDO might of been my last MMO that requires leveling/grinding. I just don't have the time for shit any more. I play more Clash Royale than anything else these days.
I was very excited to have the option to grind again but a couple months in BDO made me appreciate theme parks again. I just don't have the motivation to grind that much anymore (even at level 40 in BDO.)

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
I was very excited to have the option to grind again but a couple months in BDO made me appreciate theme parks again. I just don't have the motivation to grind that much anymore (even at level 40 in BDO.)
Thats because BDO had shit grind. I still enjoy EQ grind to this day because the combat was fun. The challenge and consequence gave meaning to your accomplishments. That did not exist in BDO's grind.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
We just need to face it. We used to have a ton of free time when we were younger and/or students and/or working dead end jobs figuring out what we wanted to do with our lives other than sit around playing video games... but you have to remember we got older and have jobs and responsibilities now, and there just simply aren't any more young idiots willing to waste their youth, much less on video games, because we were literally the last surviving generation on Earth. And even back then we only all played EQ because it was literally the only thing to do, you either played EQ or stared at a wall.
Nahh, my kids dont play any vija games. Nahh. They go outside and do shit, lol, NOT.

Same shit bro, just a different generation and way more and more fun shit to play. Games that do not require you to play for 12-16 hrs a day to advance, games that do not require a phone call at 4AM to get your ass up, boss is up, its fucking raid time. Games that do not require you to camp a spawn the entire day for some rare as fuck mob to pop up once a week so you can kill it and complete some quest for +5.

EQ was good in its time, it was the first 3D world MMORPG that you could chat with folks. But other thant that, it was a horrible timesink and as soon as some other game came along that did shit better, it died a quick death in the eyes of scrutiny.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Thats because BDO had shit grind. I still enjoy EQ grind to this day because the combat was fun. The challenge and consequence gave meaning to your accomplishments. That did not exist in BDO's grind.
EQ combat is fun but BDO combat is shit. Does not compute.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
EQ was fun as a monk. Pulling, exploring, controlling respawn timing and keeping the camp constantly fighting. I don't think I would ever call the combat itself very fun. In fact, the most fun combat I had in EQ, was letting Macroquest control it all.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
EQ was fun as a monk. Pulling, exploring, controlling respawn timing and keeping the camp constantly fighting. I don't think I would ever call the combat itself very fun. In fact, the most fun combat I had in EQ, was letting Macroquest control it all.
Pretty much, EQ combat was boring, i had more fun playing a pulling class or an enchanter because it was more than autoattack + occasional clicks or chaining the same 2 or 3 nukes.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Pretty much, EQ combat was boring, i had more fun playing a pulling class or an enchanter because it was more than autoattack + occasional clicks or chaining the same 2 or 3 nukes.
Pulling was an art. Especially SK pulling, it had nuance with Circlet + bow travel distance and unreliable FD. I was a golden god.

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
Different strokes for different folks. I personally thought BDO combat was beyond terrible. Mowing down 10 enemies every 10 seconds like wheat in front of the thresher is just not my cup of tea. I strongly prefer slower combat requiring synergy between multiple people where individual mob strength is not that far off from individual player power (class choice notwithstanding).

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
not bitching about negs, in fact i typically welcome them, but to the person that negged me saying that it hasn't been three years...

...i suppose if you want to be technical its been 2 years and 10 months since Brad first announced the game. my apologies.
It was DelView Profile: Del - Rerolled - MMORPG Game Forums

You two should take turns kicking each other in the balls till one of you passes out or dies.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Different strokes for different folks. I personally thought BDO combat was beyond terrible. Mowing down 10 enemies every 10 seconds like wheat in front of the thresher is just not my cup of tea. I strongly prefer slower combat requiring synergy between multiple people where individual mob strength is not that far off from individual player power (class choice notwithstanding).
EQ combat could definitely be fun. Not too much fun about hitting auto attack, but the nuances to pulling, CC, off tanking, controlling aggro, etc. made encounters interesting. Strats like fear-kiting, root and rot, dot stacking, charm kiting, etc

At the end of the day, I really enjoyed seeing how much shit I could kill before I had to sit down and med. Once you mastered the basics, it became a game of seeing how efficient you could be.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Not only different strokes but different experiences between classes. Bards were just as much a mow them down as any class Ive ever seen. Necros had an ungodly amount of power. Synergy was good...if you were the right class. Rangers got shafted. So did wizards as the game progressed. Add in many of the biggest EQ proponents like to play with me, myself, and I and the game was really a flawed PoS. One that was really fun for a short time but it would have never kept the crown. Too flawed...as Blizzard showed a few years later.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Jeez. You really have a lot of weird nerd anger towards EQ.
Poorly made game that basically died in 2004. Nothing to be angry about. Just gotta wipe the crap off the rose tinted glasses sometimes so you guys can see. Think of it as a public service for when Brad burns you again.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
See what? That people have different game preferences? Continue your Nerd mission I suppose.