Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Haha where the fuck do you get the impression that old niche limited appeal MMORPG's are trending with investors? Even more so those headed up by an ex-junkie fraud? Khane is right looking for the right investor really means looking for someone who is willing to piss away millions that he hasn't burned bridges with, he might as well hunt the last unicorn. Game will release sometime between the next Duke Nukem and Half Life 3.
Just show up here and eat crow when it funds. God bless

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
That update sounded hilarious. Sonic Torque!! The Soundcloud Page! And perception...audio clue. Perception message scrolls across screen. " You hear a wolves howl..." Wolf howls a few seconds later in game. Brad and team starts masturbating furiously at this new aspect to modern throwbacks. How many investors is this going to bring in? Probably millions.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Actually, the little details will add up in the end. That's what's missing from a lot of games today.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The reason the little details are missing from a lot of games is because they cost money. I wholeheartedly agree that the little details make (or break) games. I don't see Brad as the kind of developer that would say, "We need to delay the launch 6 more months to add the 'little details' so everyone can experience The Vision."

(Yes, I'm still bitter about Vanguard.)

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
The reason the little details are missing from a lot of games is because they cost money. I wholeheartedly agree that the little details make (or break) games. I don't see Brad as the kind of developer that would say, "We need to delay the launch 6 more months to add the 'little details' so everyone can experience The Vision."

(Yes, I'm still bitter about Vanguard.)
I don't think anyone would say that. They are largely organic and added as you create something. They aren't really something you manufacture after the fact.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Are you using feels data as your guide? Because I can tell you as someone who's made games and someone who's followed the development of countless games, the "little details" are almost always added after the big details are finalized and locked in. Projects that make the little shit the same priority as the major features are doomed to delay, budget over runs, and being released before they're ready.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well for context, the particular system we are discussing is part of the perception system which is a big part of their game so I think we are safe there, but I get your point. They should really make sure the Pantheon Difference features are in and well tuned before even considering new stuff.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
You can polish a turd all you like, in the end it's still a turd. That being said EQ/Vangaurd weren't exactly known for polish or spending extra time on small details.

i like what i am seeing and hearing about this game, but i'm still pretty bitter about vanguard (i bought a new PC because i believed mcquaid and those silky venom fanboys telling me the performance issues were my fault).

i'll just stick to anarchy online and keep a skeptical eye on this. and yes, i trust funcom more than mcquaid.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
^^ FYI: Silky Venom was a Sigil Games ran guild. In case you never knew. So when they were telling you the performance issues were your fault, they were directed to do so. Have to love viral shill poser marketing.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah yeah Ut, but what we really want to know is your opinion of this guy:

Visionary Realms Appoints David Reitman to Board of Directors | Visionary Realms
Utnayan doesn't know him, so he's probably googling stuff about him trying to find some dirt on the guy.

Then it will be personal.
wink.png

One of the big issues IMHO: (1) small dev team, (2) niche MMOG, (3) limited instancing.

There is going to be rampant hacking guaranteed and limited support personnel to deal with it.
frown.png

EQ and VG had Sony money to deal with cheaters. That is not the case here.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
One of the big issues IMHO: (1) small dev team, (2) niche MMOG, (3) limited instancing.

There is going to be rampant hacking guaranteed and limited support personnel to deal with it.
frown.png

EQ and VG had Sony money to deal with cheaters. That is not the case here.
1) Does the small dev team matter if the game is to be released? I personally don't care.
2) Niche MMO; perfect this is exactly what some of us want. Remember, this MMO is targeted towards specific audience. From what I understand you're probably not the target audience.
3) Limited instance; this is exactly one of the reasons why many of us are excited.

And about hacking I've been playing MMOs for a long time and I've yet to see one which was hack free. Even Korean MMOs with an army of staff behind them hacking is usually rampant there.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I would absolutely expect hacking/duping/bottling/gold farming/selling etc to be an issue with this game. It may be minimized early on due to the game's small size and minimal exposure, but as (or IF) the game gains an audience, these issues will increase drastically.

Two of the things I learned from policing that type of thing in VG were:
1. If you go through a third-party publisher that handles payments, it prevents you from effectively combating fraud.
2. If you want to be able to monitor and prevent hacking/fraud, you need to build tools into the game that enable your team to effectively do so from the ground up.

SOE published VG and handled CC payments, etc. They did a few things that really screwed us, like sending out thousands of free trial accounts (this might have been approved by someone at SGO, but if so we never found out who). Those trial accounts were immediately used by hackers/gold spammers to exploit the system. At that point, banning accounts became relatively pointless in most cases because the offenders would simply use another trial account. The silver lining was that even the trial accounts required a valid credit card, so if we banned credit cards instead of accounts, we could have been way more effective. That's when we ran into the second brick wall: SOE refused to give us any info regarding CC subscribers. We said, Ok, don't give us the info directly, but can you at least take an account name we give you and ban the CC linked to the account and all other accounts linked to that CC. I'm sure you can guess what the answer was.

The other end of it is that we constantly found ourselves needing tools to detect duping and bug exploitation. A tool that tracked the acquisition of resources like gold would have done wonders to prevent duping, to use just one example. While we did get some limited help with that type of thing from the programmers and database guy (there was really only one), they were all way too busy to try and implement some type of detection system in the game post-launch. Had that type of thing been anticipated from the beginning, it would have been much easier to build fraud detection measures into the system instead of trying to tack them on live.

Anyway, live and learn, but I imagine the Pantheon team would benefit from considering this type of thing as early as possible.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
About hacking: Is it really a huge problem that affects the playerbase? Honest question, not rhetorical.

I mean in EQ yes someone ghost warping around sucked, especially for the non-instanced stuff. Later it didn't matter much since everything was instanced.

But in modern MMO's....WoW/FFXIV/Rift...was hacking an issue? I should specify that by hacking I mean real hacking. Not gold farming/selling.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Have they gone into more about how they're going to use limited instancing?

I really like how the Phinny server does it.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
But in modern MMO's....WoW/FFXIV/Rift...was hacking an issue? I should specify that by hacking I mean real hacking. Not gold farming/selling.
It exists but these companies also invest resources into combating it. For example Blizzard not only uses the traditional methods to try to track and ban hackers they also launch salvos of lawyers at any 'company' that springs up that attempts to sell WoW hacking tools. The key word in all of that is 'resources', something that Brad's team of basement devs are clearly already lacking since they're still trying to scare up a mythical "Investor" to pay for their Community College Unity project.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Can I just get a MMO that I can play and enjoy? Is that seriously asking too much? I haven't enjoyed a MMO since Vanguard launched in 2007. That was nine fucking years ago!