Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I stand corrected. Good thing they kept EQs mechanic of needing hours upon hours upon hours to level weapon and spell skills!
For a guy being really pedantic he is pretty sure that January 20th 2009 was 6 years ago :)

2002User

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I stand corrected. Good thing they kept EQs mechanic of needing hours upon hours upon hours to level weapon and spell skills!
Well, it didn't exactly ruin the game. Weapon Skills were such a minor aspect of gameplay. If Pantheon kept them, it certainly wouldn't be a big enough detriment that would ruin the game. Something like spellbook-in-face meditation would though.

I'm sure he lives everyday like it's March 16 1999
If I lived everyday like it was March 16, 1999 I'd probably be playing Quake 2 or StarCraft. Didn't play much EQ until later on in 2000.

Plus, despite your snarky comment, I'm all for stripping out tedious mechanics that add absolutely no depth. You're preaching to the choir! Only EQ mechanics that added depth or good gameplay should be preserved.

Sevens

Log Wizard
Here is a question about the leveling of weapon skills, How about instead of having to level your skills each type of weapon has a few key attacks specific to that weapon (ala Guild wars 2), So you equip a mace and all your regular attacks are fine but then you need to work up your new special mace only attacks?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Here is a question about the leveling of weapon skills, How about instead of having to level your skills each type of weapon has a few key attacks specific to that weapon (ala Guild wars 2), So you equip a mace and all your regular attacks are fine but then you need to work up your new special mace only attacks?
Ehh. I don't like the idea of getting an upgrade for a weapon, but it being worthless/detriment to the raid or group until you go level skills for hours. Plus you know it'd be impossible to balance weapon types for a class and there would always be one that's better with your idea ofnqeapon specific skills so then you'd have classes ignoring qeapon types even if they are an "upgrade"

2002User

Honestly, I don't think the system needs any changes. Personally, I think the mechanic will stay in because it hardly effects (re: ruins) the gameplay and they are really trying to go for that oldschool D&D/pen and paper feel. I actually would prefer if it were removed, but could care less either way since it's so minor. Now, talking about something like book-in-face, that's just terrible gameplay which would be a common occurrence. That would be bad for the game. Weapon Skills? Too minor to care.

As we looked back and saw that Weapon Skills didn't ruin the pinnacle of WoW, we can pretty easily determine that mechanic will have little to nothing to do with the success or failure of Pantheon. There are plenty of other things to harp on in that regard.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Weapon skills in any game that have them are trivial and are a bore IMO. All they do is punish players from trying new things if they switch from a sword to a mace or what ever.

What they SHOULD have is an attunement mechanic for magical weapons. You get a magic sword that starts off as a generic magic sword and then it levels up when you do something with it. (Healing mace grows for each heal you cast on a player, Evil sword for every good faction NPC you kill etc etc) nothing crazy like what WoW is doing now or what EQ did with living weapons, Just a small increase on the weapon you can get from playing with it.

The best part is you can use it to enforce a type of No drop rule with allowing it to be tradeable, If you juice up your sword then get an upgrade and trade it then it loses it's attunement and goes back to generic sword.

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Never had an issue with leveling skills, actually I liked that mechanic. Every time I dinged, I'd grind spell skills with my newb spells, and rotate weapon types while grouping, swim, etc until I was maxed in everything. Usually I could do it in one night of grouping, some time in the tunnel selling, plus a half hour of auto swimming into a corner someplace.

Wont make or break a game if it's not in for me, it's totally trivial.

goishen

Macho Ma'am

And here it is again. Fanboy-ism. I was once a fanboy, of Vanguard as a matter of fact. Then, the beta hit. And boy did that fanboy-ism dry up REAL fucking quick. I thought, "Hmm, there's no way that Brad can burn me twice. Surely, I can see through that." Boy was I fucking wrong. I have zero problems with you being a fanboy, I just wanted to point out to you that that's what you're being.

I mean, fuck, I don't even have a dog in this fight. I'm not buying the game, or any other MMO in the near future for that matter. I'm here for the lulz at Brad's expense.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
And here it is again. Fanboy-ism. I was once a fanboy, of Vanguard as a matter of fact. Then, the beta hit. And boy did that fanboy-ism dry up REAL fucking quick. I thought, "Hmm, there's no way that Brad can burn me twice. Surely, I can see through that." Boy was I fucking wrong. I have zero problems with you being a fanboy, I just wanted to point out to you that that's what you're being.

I mean, fuck, I don't even have a dog in this fight. I'm not buying the game, or any other MMO in the near future for that matter. I'm here for the lulz at Brad's expense.
Vanguard was too brown for me to try. Didn't realize this was a mechanic in it.

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Weapon/caster skilling as we know it was indeed mundane and fairly worthless. But if you remove the system completely, now everyone is the same proficiency in everything. That feels a lot less like EQ to me and a whole lot more like every other game out there.

So instead of that, it seems to me like an opportunity for them to flesh it out into a more robust system that creates additional specialization options for players. The operative word there being specialization, which was always one of the primary attributes of EQ1 (in it's heyday, at least) that has been lacking in nearly every other game in this genre for the last 15 years. Every class was different.

It's the same with the AA system. Some absolutely hated the mere utterance of those two letters but for me, I thought it was a great system, even if poorly executed back then. It gave players additional character development options, including further specialization choices, outside of just levels, which are easy to implement but have huge ramifications on content.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
What many of the simpletons in this thread seem to forget is that it's no longer March 16th 1999. People don't use AOL to go online anymore and don't need a fucking interactive chat room like EQ to be entertained. I find it funny that many complain they don't have the scheduled or time to make the casual shitfest that is World of Warcraft work but yet they seem to have 80 hours a week to play this? All of the tedious and tired mechanics that we put up with in the day we did so because, we were kids at the time, there wasn't any other options, and it was a unique experience.

All of the so called hidden and discovered mechanics in EQ were in part to the internet still being relatively new to most people. If you think Pantheon won't be data mined with every quest, secret, easter egg, and every other feature mapped out on some site you are naive. The world has moved on, if Brad had any foresight or skill this guy would be working on bringing this type of game to a new medium such as VR instead it's a tired EQ clone. It's also amusing how many people state that he is going to add in all these so called "features" when all we have seen it more of the same.

One of the things many of you seem to forget in your nostalgia daze is that the game needs to be accessible and fun first and foremost, one of the things that has always amazed me about Blizzard is when they stated like 90ish % or some astronomically high number of players in WoW never even made it to max level throughout all of the years. Let that shit sink in, even one of the most casual and solo friendly MMO's a majority try it say this game sucks major donkey nuts and bounce.

If pantheon is EQ2 full of the same bugs and shit we were accustomed to for ages I doubt more than 8 people will play it. While you argue over skill points for your mace of wastedtime, seven other people wrote this bag of shit off forever. When Sando_01 gnoll beast generic type 3 eats your quest item in the year 2043 nobody is going to stick around for it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Love the blowhards claiming people don't have the time to spend on games like this, yet spend equal amounts of time trolling message boards all day.

About games. They don't even like.

Let that shit sink in.

We get it dude. You hate Brad. No one cares. Move on.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Do you need some glasses? Because you obviously can't fucking read, either that or you are to fucking retarded to understand words. Tell us which it is?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Love the blowhards claiming people don't have the time to spend on games like this, yet spend equal amounts of time trolling message boards all day.

About games. They don't even like.

Let that shit sink in.

We get it dude. You hate Brad. No one cares. Move on.
To be fair, many of us are at offices all day with easy access to web browsing. I can't poopsock games at work.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

2002User

What many of the simpletons in this thread seem to forget is that it's no longer March 16th 1999. People don't use AOL to go online anymore and don't need a fucking interactive chat room like EQ to be entertained.

With the right content, EQ has more engaging gameplay than WoW. Talking about stuff like Fear breaks or difficult one group content, not afk auto attacking a single dragon in NToV. Stuff where people actually had a role to fill and if they didn't do it to near perfection, you were fucked.

WoW is literally a button mashing simulator where you can't die (unless you're really, really bad). Yet people suffer through such bad gameplay to obtain new pixels? How is that a game? Might as well put it on mobile at this point.

I find it funny that many complain they don't have the scheduled or time to make the casual shitfest that is World of Warcraft work but yet they seem to have 80 hours a week to play this?

You don't need to put 80 hours a week in to play any game out there. This game isn't even focused on end game raiding. End game raiding in EQ was trash. This game focuses on the journey, not the destination. When EverQuest is played like that, it's more enjoyable.

All of the tedious and tired mechanics that we put up with in the day we did so because, we were kids at the time, there wasn't any other options, and it was a unique experience.
Yet a lot of the game design and mechanics were interesting and created depth and good gameplay. Sure, there was a lot of tedious bullshit, but much of which is being done away with for Pantheon, or was done away with approximately 15 years ago in EQ.

All of the so called hidden and discovered mechanics in EQ were in part to the internet still being relatively new to most people. If you think Pantheon won't be data mined with every quest, secret, easter egg, and every other feature mapped out on some site you are naive. The world has moved on

If you think that it's impossible to create hidden content/mitigate datamining, you are naive. A lot can be done in this regard, developers like Blizzard just choose not to.

, if Brad had any foresight or skill this guy would be working on bringing this type of game to a new medium such as VR

VR? Seriously? Why would you want to play a graphical MUD in VR? Maybe a FPS or action based game.

instead it's a tired EQ clone.

But it's not. It uses EQ as a base and adds on to it.

It's also amusing how many people state that he is going to add in all these so called "features" when all we have seen it more of the same.

Maybe that's all YOU have seen. It's still likely a couple years out and they've already showed multiple new gameplay features that add a lot of depth and make the game more than just a barebones EQ clone. Just take a look at the stream, many new features and ideas have already been prototyped and are being shown off.

One of the things many of you seem to forget in your nostalgia daze is that the game needs to be accessible and fun first and foremost, one of the things that has always amazed me about Blizzard is when they stated like 90ish % or some astronomically high number of players in WoW never even made it to max level throughout all of the years. Let that shit sink in, even one of the most casual and solo friendly MMO's a majority try it say this game sucks major donkey nuts and bounce.

Again, the game is about the journey, not the destination. So in that regard, it should be more appealing than WoW to people who don't reach max level -- since WoW really starts at max level. I played EQ for years without reaching max level, it wasn't needed to have fun. All you're remembering is recent years of emulator neckbeardery where people who were preteens, children, or not even born when EQ came out tried to prove their internet superiority.

If pantheon is EQ2 full of the same bugs and shit we were accustomed to for ages I doubt more than 8 people will play it. While you argue over skill points for your mace of wastedtime, seven other people wrote this bag of shit off forever. When Sando_01 gnoll beast generic type 3 eats your quest item in the year 2043 nobody is going to stick around for it.

Quest NPCs eating quest items hasn't been a thing for approximately 15 years.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
With the right content, EQ has more engaging gameplay than WoW. Talking about stuff like Fear breaks or difficult one group content, not afk auto attacking a single dragon in NToV. Stuff where people actually had a role to fill and if they didn't do it to near perfection, you were fucked.

WoW is literally a button mashing simulator where you can't die (unless you're really, really bad). Yet people suffer through such bad gameplay to obtain new pixels? How is that a game? Might as well put it on mobile at this point.

You don't need to put 80 hours a week in to play any game out there. This game isn't even focused on end game raiding. End game raiding in EQ was trash. This game focuses on the journey, not the destination. When EverQuest is played like that, it's more enjoyable.

Yet a lot of the game design and mechanics were interesting and created depth and good gameplay. Sure, there was a lot of tedious bullshit, but much of which is being done away with for Pantheon, or was done away with approximately 15 years ago in EQ.

If you think that it's impossible to create hidden content/mitigate datamining, you are naive. A lot can be done in this regard, developers like Blizzard just choose not to.

VR? Seriously? Why would you want to play a graphical MUD in VR? Maybe a FPS or action based game.

But it's not. It uses EQ as a base and adds on to it.

All you have seen you mean? It's still likely a couple years out and they've already showed multiple new gameplay features that add a lot of depth and make the game more than just a barebones EQ clone.

Again, the game is about the journey, not the destination. So in that regard, it should be more appealing than WoW to people who don't reach max level -- since WoW really starts at max level. I played EQ for years without reaching max level, it wasn't needed to have fun. All you're remembering is recent years of emulator neckbeardery where people who were preteens, children, or not even born when EQ came out prove their internet superiority.

Quest NPCs eating quest items hasn't been a thing for approximately 15 years.
You never played WoW's harder content if you think EQ has/had more challenging and engaging gameplay.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users