Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
When's the last time Brad wrote any coding? Is he strictly just the idea guy at this point?

goishen

Macho Ma'am
When's the last time Brad wrote any coding? Is he strictly just the idea guy at this point?

I wanna know when the fuck he could change his desktop background without help. Fuck that, he'd rather sit in his office playing Hero Clix all day. "PEW PEW! I got you Wolverine!"

Last edited:
LOL What? They had 150 employees only making one game.

He was talking about the difference between release and 2 years after release. WoW had major development in that time, Vanguard got about 5 minutes dev time from some interns. At least learn to read the quotes properly.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
He was talking about the difference between release and 2 years after release. WoW had major development in that time, Vanguard got about 5 minutes dev time from some interns. At least learn to read the quotes properly.

Sorry Qwerty I just read your replies and go for the throat. It's instinct at this point.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am

Right, as if it had a smooth launch, either. Sure, qwetard. WTF ever.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider

ww1_1.gif

So apparently AmigaOS has a web browser nowadays, who would've guessed? I doubt that the Unity Web Player will ever be ported to AmigaOS, but it sure as fuck would rock if it did. Maybe Brad should get a Kickstarter going for that?

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
View attachment 112824

So apparently AmigaOS has a web browser nowadays, who would've guessed? I doubt that the Unity Web Player will ever be ported to AmigaOS, but it sure as fuck would rock if it did. Maybe Brad should get a Kickstarter going for that?

Unity Web Player is deprecated, that shits been long dead.

Unity WebGL took it's place.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Unity Web Player is deprecated, that shits been long dead.

Unity WebGL took it's place.

I did not know that. But now that I do, porting the Web Player to AmigaOS seems like the perfect medium for Brad's hail Mary attempt at a cushy retirement. At that point people could call it a work of art with a straight face at least.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
But WoW didn't have a smooth launch either. It was full of bugs, but it kept getting developed. Vanguard didn't.

Maybe because it had the best release ever from that standpoint? Within 8 months of release, they had 4 million subs. After 8 months release of Vanguard was dead in the water. WoW had tons of critical acclaim for their great launch. They had tons of great word of mouth from beta testers. It was a well-made game and people flocked to it. Vanguard was not a well-made game. It was a game with some great ideas. Those are totally different. If Vanguard the game had been made well? It would have done well. We were there. This game was poorly developed. from the start.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Wow had a fairly solid launch, game wise. Their servers went to shit for a while but that's more cause they probably didn't expect selling like 10times as many boxes as EQ ever had subs or whatever the actual numbers were. But other than that, it didn't crash, it didn't slow down(besides when there were like 3-4guilds fighting in blackrock mountain with 40ppl per raid) and there were fairly few bugs. Bunch of exploits, sure, and some parts of the code not secured so hacking gave a lot of power, also sure, but the game client was solid.

It's a far cry from Vanguard shitty client.

You can say it's because it looked cartoony as shit and what not but at the end of the day, it was a solid game. It's only later that some of the issues with the client came to light and they had to rework stuff(like fucking Vael lagging like shit due to all the debuffs updating or whatever the shit and the whelps aoeing after and that kind of shit, and BWL as a whole being a buggy untested piece of shit like it was EQ glory days again). Also helped that they killed 40man raiding early enough so the issues with having 40ppl in a grp weren't as apparent anymore.

• 1Like

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah I have no idea what he's talking about when it comes to WoW's launch. The worst thing I experienced opening day was my character getting stuck in a looting action and looking like an idiot sliding around Durotar on one knee but that's really the worst of it.

Some specs sucked ass (hello Feral and Survival) sure but it always run solidly.

• 1Like

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My WoW server went down. Then we had a log in queue that was like days long. After like 4 days we moved to a new server that had just opened and that got flooded with people so badly we were camping spawns for quest items (which took like 2 days to loot).

WoW's launch was a clusterfuck and terrible. They smoothed it out and it became a great game.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
As I said, server issues sure, client issues no. Servers were a fuckfest at launch and for like the first 2weeks or whatever, besides some servers which were still shit months later until they upgraded the servers or whatever they did. But once they fixed that/if you played on a low pop server, the client ran perfectly. Vanguard was the opposite issue. It didn't have too many people, but the game ran like shit, even with no one around you.

• 1Like

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
But WoW didn't have a smooth launch either. It was full of bugs, but it kept getting developed. Vanguard didn't.

Bullshit. I think I ran into one broken quest in hundreds in WoW in beta and Vanilla. Compared to anything at it's time it was the smoothest launch from a, IN-GAME stand point one could have ever hoped for. The two biggest issues were server capacity and the splitting of raids in MC. Of which I received 2-3 weeks in automatic free days, something else Verant/Sony never did for their customers across their numerous in game glitches and horrendous support. And something McQuaid couldn't do either while he was firing everyone in the parking lot after he blew over 50 million of Microsoft's money up his nose.

Bullshit. I think I ran into one broken quest in hundreds in WoW in beta and Vanilla. Compared to anything at it's time it was the smoothest launch from a, IN-GAME stand point one could have ever hoped for. The two biggest issues were server capacity and the splitting of raids in MC. Of which I received 2-3 weeks in automatic free days, something else Verant/Sony never did for their customers across their numerous in game glitches and horrendous support. And something McQuaid couldn't do either while he was firing everyone in the parking lot after he blew over 50 million of Microsoft's money up his nose.
Bullshit. WoW was a shitshow at release and beta was even worse, but it was getting full development all that time. Vanguard never even got developed up to release. Also it was less than 50 million, it was 30 mill, and they had a game to show for it, it just wasn't completed. And I'm pretty sure he was taking some pills not snorting. Make up a more interesting story.

• 1Salty

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
WoW was nearly unplayable for me the first month. I was on Kel'thuzad and we had a guild formed with about 60 people from Beta and other games. Due to the size of our group, we had to stay put and not jump to any of the new servers as they were opening them up.

The game was fine, nearly 100% working, non-buggy, etc. It was the servers that were the issue and completely fucked. Server queues +1k people long, hours of waiting, frequent disconnects putting you at the back of the queue line, inability to loot mobs... it was a nightmare. My friends and I had grand plans of racing to 60 and knocking out server firsts, but we had to given up on those dreams because their shit just didn't work. It was so frustrating, I actually took close to a month off before I came back to the game and finished the leveling curve and started raiding.

I have very fond memories of Vanilla WoW, but they are bitter sweet due to the server frustrations. Game bugs feel pretty irrelevant when you can't even play the game...