Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Only slightly related to Pantheon but short of a new thread it's best fit is here.

That CohhCarnage Twitch guy that Brad keeps buying stream time from was running his own Kickstarter Project Resurgence that just shut down. The real kick in the nuts is they are saying no refunds for backers "because all that money is spent". I guess he learned from the best.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Only slightly related to Pantheon but short of a new thread it's best fit is here.

That CohhCarnage Twitch guy that Brad keeps buying stream time from was running his own Kickstarter Project Resurgence that just shut down. The real kick in the nuts is they are saying no refunds for backers "because all that money is spent". I guess he learned from the best.

Does that guy always wear the hat? Fucking retarded.

Dalien

Registered Hodor

To be fair, that Kickstarter is totally worth $184k if you want to compare it to Brad's original $700k Kickstarter.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I wish it is possible for failed a Kickstarter to have sort of forensic accounting done to show exactly were the money was spent.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
@Adebisi Requesting a new Become on of the Fallen gifs.

7Sd6kHz.gif

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

kudos

<Banned>

I love how in their video they emphasized "DIVERSE CAST OF CHARACTERS, MEN , WOMEN, LGBTQ"

These morons bought into the idea that SJW retards would actually put their money where that fat mouths are. They deserved to fail for being this stupid.

• 1Solidarity

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I love how in their video they emphasized "DIVERSE CAST OF CHARACTERS, MEN , WOMEN, LGBTQ"

These morons bought into the idea that SJW retards would actually put their money where that fat mouths are. They deserved to fail for being this stupid.

Actual screenshots of their character creator. Take note of the categories near the bottom.

7ZWx0ip.png

PvcHK4V.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Well the difference between him and Brads failed kickstarter is he actually hit his goal and poached $180k from suckers. Thing is it's a lot easier to defraud faggots from their cash with crowdsourcing. Wonder how much money this cunt pocketed.

• 1Worf

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think Id just try to come up with the most f'ked up situation for a quest system to handle in that regard.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I wish it is possible for failed a Kickstarter to have sort of forensic accounting done to show exactly were the money was spent.

I'd guess we will have some sort of mechanism for accountability in the future for KS- if KS expects to continue to exist there's going to have to be. The whole concept of being able to panhandle for funds with nothing more than promises and then fail to deliver while facing zero repercussions isn't very sustainable.

Want a few hundred thousand dollars? Spend some time and resources coming up with a convincing KS advertising something you never intend to deliver on. Rake in the money, wait a few months, then say say "Sorry, we did our best. Oh, by the way, all your money is gone now."

• 1Solidarity

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
(edit) Pathenon failed terribly at their KS so tis not really relevant unless they do new one. Sorry for edits but hit post by accident.

Kickstarter could be greatly improved with introduction of a few simple ideas:

For Companies/Groups/Projects NEW to Kickstarter:

(1) Limit raising of KS funds to 1 Year of operations.
(2) a) Require detailed business plan and b) project management/delivery plan
(3) Confidence Tiers for Donations. Give % vs Hold % for potential refund
  1. Zero confidence: 0-5% Give 95-100% Hold
  2. moderate: 50% Give - 50% Hold
  3. high: 80% Give - 20% Hold
After delivery on stated goals, donator can decide to get refund for held % or donate rest.

For Projects unwilling/unable to meet the above standards in (2), limit KS goal to $100 K, with a Confidence Tier of 1) so 95% $ is refuned if they do not shape up and deliver. If they meet their goals to everyones satisfaction, get $100k, and can fundraise second KS with a higher minimum Confidence Tier available to donators.

At very basic level at least users have chance to evaluate the Plan (2) and value the return themselves.
KS team has to budget more wisely and be more conservative/realistic instead of an open ended money grabbing scam.

A dribble donation option could be added. After 4/8/12 months you can have evaluations of deliverables (ie some prototype stages) and people can support or withdraw remaining % of donation.

For example, given this option a user may donate $100 with a 25% give ratio over 4 evaluation periods in a year.

25$ given to KS team
After 4 months an evaluation is held.
  • a) donators have chance to give $25 more for another 4 months, with KS holding outstanding $50,
or
  • b) refund $75 immediately.

After 8 months second evaluation held. $50 already given to KS Project.
  • a) donators have chance to give $25 more for 4 more months with KS holding outstanding $25
or
  • b) refund $50 immediately.
etc

If KS is worried about loosing low level entry projects, implement this system for higher tier fundraising goals, $100k+ $500K+ $1Mil + etc and tweak percentages available depending on how well the Project progresses every year.

Last edited:

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Something like that seems pretty obvious. So I suspect its something else thats keeping them from doing so.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Kickstarter

Kickstarter Terms Of Use said:
4. How Projects Work
Most of our Terms of Use explain your relationship with Kickstarter. This section is different — it explains the relationship between creators and backers of Kickstarter projects, and who’s responsible for what. This is what you’re agreeing to when you create or back a Kickstarter project.

Kickstarter provides a funding platform for creative projects. When a creator posts a project on Kickstarter, they’re inviting other people to form a contract with them. Anyone who backs a project is accepting the creator’s offer, and forming that contract.

Kickstarter is not a part of this contract — the contract is a direct legal agreement between creators and their backers. Here are the terms that govern that agreement:

. . .

blah blah blah, some of this stuff may actually be important, IANAL

. . .

The creator is solely responsible for fulfilling the promises made in their project. If they’re unable to satisfy the terms of this agreement, they may be subject to legal action by backers.

It looks like if any backers feel like lawyering up and kicking a failed kickstarter while they're down, Kickstarter's terms of use say that's A-okay.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Something like that seems pretty obvious. So I suspect its something else thats keeping them from doing so.
What keeps KS from reforming? It would cut into easy profits, they are raking it in now so why bother? Suckers are throwing money at em so who cares? Easy money for now! Weeeee

At the core KS is a great idea that could provide an extremely valuable service to Startups with great ideas, bypassing the overly onerous business financing sector. However at present the KS system is scammy as hell and for the most part a rip off for any potential donoers/investors. I hope the present Kickstarter incarnation dies a hot and horribly fiery death. It is just a no strings attached, no holds barred wild west scamfest without any expectations or pressure on the panhandlers. Noob gamers throwing money at noob devs who "have a dream" ugh. Result is a collosal waste of money work and potential. Waste for all except for the KS company who gets a juicy cut regardless, and of course the devs screwing around playing startup without spending 5 minutes thought let alone research into a realistic business or development plan.

Hopefully all the naive donating noobs throwing money at KS will eventually realize they're being had and there will be some pressure for more improved and robust Kickstarter competition. The quicker this present system crashes the better. There are many easy things to do to tweak and clean up the process. Things that might actually help it grow, scale up and in the long term provide beefier, more sustainable profits from gamers with spare $$, but with a lot less risk, chaff and bullshit for everyone. For a start:

1) Raise the bar of entry to KS: force people to learn and work a little first before giving them money and projects will be more focused.
2) Tie some more conditional strings to the donations in the process

Two easy things and you are already going in a good direction towards more sustainable profits.

It would be nice to have some more "decent" competition to choose from. Indie gaming (as well as other projects like Pantheon) could benefit greatly from a refined Kickstarter system. Raising the entry bar to be more realistic with a few more investor strings has the potential to help many more startup projects succeed. Heady startups need pressure to help reign in those dreamy visions, pressure towards better reasearch, planning and preparation before spending (or basically stealing) other peoples' money without a second thought.

"I know how to code sum, Weeee we got cash, lets just wing it!!!"
80s were cool, you could code shit in a few weeks and call it a game! But software and game development has grown up, market has matured.

Weed out these noobs and boobs and more games will get better funded to completion. All the creative fringe games will have a better chance of being completed, polished and getting to market. Many will fail still, but some will succeed and provide more variety. Nice side effect of more kickstarters finishing games will be an increase of capable developers in stronger indie studios that might actually compete effectively with the shitty big name corporate studios.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
At the core KS is a great idea that could provide an extremely valuable service to Startups with great ideas, bypassing the overly onerous business financing sector. However at present the KS system is scammy as hell and for the most part a rip off for any potential donoers/investors.
Hence, the onerous financial sector, with all its regulations and expertise.

KS, like a fair number of recent startups (up to the most valued such world-wide, Uber) is a very simple and basic idea: "if we can ignore all those pesky regulations and safeguards, we can massively reduce costs and profit!"

Never mind the fact that, most of the time, those regulations exist for good reasons.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The mistake all of you are making is considering KS a financial service. It isn't. It's a social networking site.

Anybody who contributes to a Kickstarter is doing so at their own peril. There is no "investment" in contributing to a KS campaign and it's not Kickstarter's responsibility to ensure your money is spent appropriately.

You are giving that money to someone in hopes you will eventually get a product. You aren't buying a share of the company who's campaign you contribute to.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users