Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

forensic

Molten Core Raider
Funny, I thought LOTRO was great but it was just too small at launch. The combat was a bit wonky but some fun grouping and dungeons at release. I played a burglar and had a blast while it lasted.

I still play LOTRO and have played through every class. They are still releasing expansions. Gameplay is still awful but its possible to overlook anything when you like the world. Same reason people still play EQ or wow. A lot of people still play UO.

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
Video games are about feels.

I played GW2 briefly when it came out... it seemed like a marginal improvement on wow for being 8 years later. In the 8 years between 1996 and 2004 we went from Duke Nukem 3D all the way to GTA: San Andreas. Am I expecting too much?

The revolutionary MMORPGs are BDO, EQ:Next, Star Citizen, Chronicles of Elyria, Life is Feudal... and only BDO isn't vaporware. Maybe BDO refutes my thesis and is sufficiently revolutionary to consider the genre resurrected.
BDO sounded amazing when first announced, but turned out to be objectively horse shit. It was just another single player "massively multiplayer" game with tons of features but no depth to any of them. Hard to pick what was worst about it, but the lack of long-term progression, the adventure content and combat stand out in my mind.

The concept of a virtual world where you could play as something other than an adventurer is the right idea though.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah.

That was a drunk post.

I stand by most of it, but there's some issues.

LOTRO was a terrible game, and it comes largely from nostalgia and expectation. But holy shit was the combat system dumb.

EQ had a non-existant combat system for the vast majority of its relevancy. I'm not sure when everyone else caps that off, but DODH was terrible from a mechanic level, and that's -entirely- due to the original designs and how they extrapolated through the years. We should never be looking at DODH as a "good" thing.

LOTRO's combat was super janky, and I am on record for saying so multiple times. It's a good concept, but terrible execution.

The problem is that nobody has refuted -any- point I have made, over several posts, with anything but nostalgia-based feels.

Do we have facts for anything that the rose-colored-glasses brigade posits? I'm thinking no, but then there's no evidence of that thus far.

With all of that said, if you supply a game with slowed down gameplay with "real" consequences, I'm on board to see what is going on. But I know the modern market; I know the modern technology; I am immediately questioning when it comes to "new" technology that apparently just apes the past with zero fucks given. EQ in -any- format is a fail in this day and age, unless your target is 20k players. I don't think Visionary Realms are aiming at 20k players. Hence my apprehension.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
BDO is an amazing MMO, but the endgame is only pvp so I feel like it gets looked over more often than not. Even myself, I loved the shit out of the game and can't suggest it because it's just a dickcrush pvp grind. Profs are fun for a while at least.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Yeah.

That was a drunk post.

I stand by most of it, but there's some issues.

LOTRO was a terrible game, and it comes largely from nostalgia and expectation. But holy shit was the combat system dumb.

EQ had a non-existant combat system for the vast majority of its relevancy. I'm not sure when everyone else caps that off, but DODH was terrible from a mechanic level, and that's -entirely- due to the original designs and how they extrapolated through the years. We should never be looking at DODH as a "good" thing.

LOTRO's combat was super janky, and I am on record for saying so multiple times. It's a good concept, but terrible execution.

The problem is that nobody has refuted -any- point I have made, over several posts, with anything but nostalgia-based feels.

Do we have facts for anything that the rose-colored-glasses brigade posits? I'm thinking no, but then there's no evidence of that thus far.

With all of that said, if you supply a game with slowed down gameplay with "real" consequences, I'm on board to see what is going on. But I know the modern market; I know the modern technology; I am immediately questioning when it comes to "new" technology that apparently just apes the past with zero fucks given. EQ in -any- format is a fail in this day and age, unless your target is 20k players. I don't think Visionary Realms are aiming at 20k players. Hence my apprehension.

What was wrong with DoDH?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The realm, Ultima Online, Asheron's Call, DAOC, SWG, City of Heroes are all shit games and were all shit games at release. Not sure exactly what your trying to get across here... that your objectively bad opinion is terrible when it comes to what games are "good" and which ones aren't?

Every single one of those MMOs you listed in the second part (Minus Firefall maybe... what the fuck is a Firefall?) has more content and shit to do, overall, than any game you linked in either section of the Pre-WoW part. You're stating an opinion based on... your opinion. Wildstar was a turdfest, but it was magnitudes larger than EQ up through 2005, and certainly bigger than AC, DAOC, The Realm, COH and SWG. EVE is different, I'll give you that, but the rest of your examples are dumb.

What are your metrics for competitiveness? Your opinion? Cool, I think your opinion is wrong, as does a massive chunk of the world. Doesn't do much in the way of convincing anyone if all you do is state an opinion and do zero to back it up.

Here's a Fact: Pantheon doesn't have the budget to "compete" because it had a failed kickstarter and it is targeting a niche demographic. Investors don't look for net-loss as an outcome to their investment, which is what the magnitude of investment the rose-colored glasses brigade thinks should be behind it. It's clearly a game designed for 50-100k players, and will probably end up with about that much when the majority of release purchasers stop playing it to get their enjoyment in a game that isn't being designed to remove a chunk of their enjoyment. The niche folks it is designed for will stick around, but bitch about any technological improvement that doesn't make it exactly like EQ. Please quote me when it comes out that they started "sharding" (because the idea of instancing enrages people, but shards are a-fucking-ok!) and some people question why you would do so in a modern gaming environment.

My evidence for that fact is this thread. My metric is I'm not holding up an 18 year old game as the pinnacle of a genre I clearly haven't participated in. I've played every game you mentioned (again, minus Firefall. Is this some sort of FPS PVP game or some shit?) and you're objectively insane if you think The Realm, Ultima Online, Ahseron's Call(both), DAOC or COH was even as robust as EQ, let alone all the objectively deeper and better made games in the post-WoW grouping.

I think we get it; you haven't liked an MMO since EQ. Great. And your opinion is that every game released since EQ was a "big deal" is terrible. Also great. Personally, I think your opinion is crap and steeped heavily in nostalgia fueled by resistance to improvements. I don't have that as a fact, but I will point to your previous posts as evidence. You sound like you've read about WoW on a dating website and think you know a ton about it, or any of the other games you listed sans EQ. You might have played UO or the Realm, but your second list and how you look at them clearly shows you put the blinders on in 1999 and haven't taken them off yet. AOC alone was 3x the budget of any single player game you listed, and sold as much/more in its opening week than all those one-and-done games.

Really, I just don't get your point. If it's "I like EQ" then hey, everyone has gotten it. But don't even try to pretend to be looking at this objectively, because you are most definitely not.

Did you just call AC shit? Bitch I will fucking stab you

(With a harsh tone and piercing gaze so Amod doesn't get involved)

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Depths of Darkhollow. I suppose it would be DOD, but I remember (at the time it was a thing) that everyone used DoDH. However, I'm willing to change!

DoDH was the last thing that can sort of be called "EQ" by the standard EQ player. It went heavily into instancing, heavily into the "monster player" archetype, and heavily into progression being tied to the individual/group/guild vs. direct competition vs. other players. It also still had a lot of the holdovers from the past, with entrance keys being a community enabled mob camp, etc. I would almost argue that the Omens of War expansion was the final nail, but it still had a lot of the normal "Hey camp this crap" type mentality with it.

Anyway, that's when I personally think that the old EQ vs. the New EQ argument flips. You can't say Old and New are the same, and the gameplay reflects that to a major degree. But it wasn't until DoDH that it was so clearly obvious that the times, they were a-changin.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I'm actually more worried about the future of the game after this stream. Do they really only have one guy doing the art for all this? If so there is no chance it ever releases with sufficient content available.

Most companies, indie or otherwise, outsource art to China and smaller, art-focused studios now a days. I wouldn't be surprised if concept/3D art goes out to another location.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I would bet money there is questionable material on cohhcarnage's hard drive.

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Asherons Call was the best game I ever played.

LvL 167 Grief UA Darktide. Kono Hito, best times ever. Those days will never return, sadly.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He became one of the Fallen but it didn't stick.
zay.gif

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users