Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
Falling asleep stories are just as entertaining. I remember kiting werewolfs in Nightmare with a bard friend and he just takes off in a straight line instead of the wide circles he'd been doing for hours. Yep, fell asleep.
Or, deep down in Sebilis at one of the Disco camps waiting for everything to respawn and after that first pop realizing the heals aren't coming in, the sheer panic everyone has trying to wake the cleric up before a total wipe. Good Times.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Whoever develops an mmorpg where the currency is crypto and it can only be mined by playing the game that person is going to be a millionaire

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I think the best "raid save" was a near wipe to Agnarr. I don't remember the details, but one guy managed to aggro him and started kiting while someone used a rez for a cleric. Then, we started slowly rezing while Agnarr would run round and round and round in his room; dragging the corpses to the stairs where the clerics would be safe from - I think - some AOE from time to time. Rez everyone, tank get back aggro, restart the fight.

Really, kiting is the only real example that's been brought up. Odd choice since summoning and DTs were staples of early EQ which prevented both of these strategies.

There have also been boss fights in other MMOs that haven't locked people out of a room and similar delay-until-raid-force-returns strategies happened.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Whoever develops an mmorpg where the currency is crypto and it can only be mined by playing the game that person is going to be a millionaire

These already exist and have for a long, long time. All it would take is for a company like Blizzard to say "We're proud to announce we have partnered with Amazon and you can now spend your battle.net balance on anything Amazon has to offer!"

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I'm a big LOTR fan and have been reading the 12 volume history of middle earth and wanted to share something that reminded me of Everquest and is also I think a important part of world building that I HOPE Pantheon does not forget. Consider this quote:

"Tolkien spent years creating his world, and it shows, in what he reveals and also what he merely hints at. For instance, there are the famous 'cats of Queen Beruthiel', the subject of an off-hand comment by Aragorn—we never find out anything more about the cats or their mistress, but just the mention of them suggests that there is a world outside the story"

One of the charms of old Everquest were the (probably unintentional) odds and ends that never lead anywhere but did hint at a wider world happening around the quests and dungeon crawls and cities of Norath. Perfect efficiency is NOT what makes a perfect game world. We need mysterious hermits on the edge of Lake Rathtear who worship Prexus and randomly attack, we need Sphynx in hidden valleys not may or may not ever lead to anything. We need broken quests, unbalanced areas, "over-cons" , etc in the world.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

tyen

<Banned>
vhalen happened. So there goes that.

A game called Pantheon and no list of gods or denizens.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
I honestly hated EQ's raid scene; it was novel and exciting the first few times then it became tedious and boring. Having to prepare for the raid took ages, wipes didn't make that fun at all and above all that being one of 70+ people whacking on a giant ass monster for 2 hours was not that exciting either. But what irritated me the most is the process of clearing trash mobs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I honestly hated EQ's raid scene; it was novel and exciting the first few times then it became tedious and boring. Having to prepare for the raid took ages, wipes didn't make that fun at all and above all that being one of 70+ people whacking on a giant ass monster for 2 hours was not that exciting either. But what irritated me the most is the process of clearing trash mobs.
All working together towards a common goal, doing tedious tasks, fail or prevail, again into the breach - because it might net you that thing you wanted. Kinda like work? Or perhaps it was the bonds and respect it forged in the process that was awesome - still holds today - and is the foundation of this tiny place on the internet. Or it was the common disgust with Shelly's hoohaa, I donno. Also, some fallen.

• 1Like
  • 1Mic Drop

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Everquest skill = knowledge

WoW Mythics = Near instant movement, while maintaining top dps / healing, and being able to maintain those for 5-10 minutes.

I dont know why people have a problem that both exist. I am way more a fanboi of EQ and Vanguard than WoW but its a joke to compare EQ skill and WoW Mythics. Anyone who has raided high level Mythic in WoW just is on another level from an Everquest player, its almost disrespectful to compare the two. They are each their own fun and completely separate experiences, they dont need to be canned into the same package of raiding.

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
The beauty of everquest was the world, comrades, and the ability to show shit off.

NOT some massive difficulty scale.

The game "felt" difficult because of how overtuned mobs were to most classes. That was numbers, thats it. Thats not difficulty. Its difficult if you can fucking pull some shit out of your ass and win. When things are numerically impossible, it doesn't fucking count as difficult.

Were there some cool "fuckyeswedidit" moments? Yes. Did some classes have some real win the day abilities? Yes.

The only real thing I miss from EQ gameplay? The lack of fucks given. Some loose tuning, badass overpowered items, and general shoulder shrugging at "emergent gameplay" made for some really odd random cool shit happening every now and again. And that was fucking cool.

Has WoW had this? Hell yes it has. I remember taking my resto druid from 71 to 80 extremely fast chain soloing dungeons in the Cata pre patch. Combo of super strong thorns, and a heal that procced every time I dropped below 35%? Yeah buddy. That shit was cool. The difference is in WoW that shit gets patched pretty fucking quickly these days.

• 1Like

Tevinter

Lord Nagafen Raider
the hardest part of everquest raiding is not falling asleep and finding the motivation to log in for the next raid. not verbally abusing your guildmates for getting lost and/or training the raid (or something else equally retarded) despite taking the same path and doing the same raid every day for 3 months is a strong runner up in hardest bits of EQ raiding.

• 2Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Actually, and every good story teller knows this, is they need to reference something outside of the game's scope.

Brad, try as he might, is no story teller. Rip off the story from Sojourn and plug it into a 3D environment, meanwhile stating that it was all his idea, and profit.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
In my honest opinion, CH rotations, not pulling aggro, and hiding behind walls wasnt rocket science. I truly think that mobilization is/was the key element in dominating a server and being the top guild in classic EQ. The trackers we had set us miles apart from our competing guild. I dare say we could have fucked up multiple times before anyone in the competing guilds even knew that "whatever" raid boss was up. So to me, yes, knowledge is one thing.. But mobilization was paramount. You could know how to react to everything in the damn game, but if you werent there then fuck all does it matter.

As far as what made EQ enjoyable - its not that hard to put your finger on for most people. If I was in a group in EQ back then and people acted like they do in an instance with WoW - I probably would have left after reaching my own personal goal for that day or outright quit the game. What drove me to keep playing is that we would be talking about the most random shit in the world and that made the game enjoyable and passed the time quickly for me. The same goes for raids cause there are a ton of conversations going on that you could be apart of. Its even more evident now that voice chat is a normal thing for everyone. You can only get limited interaction inside of WoW and to me, thats because you're moving constantly and trying your best to keep a perfect rotation. Its just two different worlds of game play.

I dont necessarily want Pantheon to take us straight back to EverQuest combat, but god forbid we go back to more thought out combat. Whats wrong with an ability doing 100 damage with a 10 second CD, over an ability that does 25 damage every 2.5 seconds? Is it really necessary that I have to always be tapping buttons? Cant I just have a moment to be social?

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Semisus

Molten Core Raider
What made eq1 great was that it was a huge world , sometimes not the hardest mob dropped something really good ( like bags ) that even the higher lvls wanted
I know alot of people just rush to max but i actully really enjoyed going around this big world doing dungeons instead of just staying at the same spot for 15 lvls
And the fact that we didnt knew it all , there was quests we would have to figure out ourselfs , not just a quest journal which explained everything and where u had to go
Mobs like vox there was no lvl tag on it so u didnt even know how hard it was cause it was just RED , i would be in favor of overland bad boys that are just unkiilable at the start and leave em there so after a few expansions we can actully discover what these bad boys can drop
And most of all the community , i remeber one time the servers went down and i went in the server specific channel during the downtime and asked for help with sir lucan for my quest and when the server came back up there was like 20 people there to help me kill him
Corpse runs where never the thing that made eq great , instead of let to alot of frustration especially to people who only had a few hours to play and i belive alot of non hardcore people quit over this ( remeber all the corpses around? )
I have my doubts about pantheon in this aspect , are we really gonna have a massive world?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Part if it for sure was the first kiss, but definitely there was more to EQ than just that. To tell you the truth I have played a shit ton of games before and after EQ and never felt a strong of a pull like I did to EQ. They did something right.

• 1Solidarity

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
if i recall the only zone that really took forever was Luclin due to the high AC. I dont remember any raid mob taking that damned long after that expansion. I played until the Ro expansion, and while the entire raid might have took a while, individual raid bosses did not take that long to kill and Buffing with MGB took care of all the BS you are talking about.l

tyen

<Banned>
if i recall the only zone that really took forever was Luclin due to the high AC. I dont remember any raid mob taking that damned long after that expansion. I played until the Ro expansion, and while the entire raid might have took a while, individual raid bosses did not take that long to kill and Buffing with MGB took care of all the BS you are talking about.l

rathe. potime took all night depending how far you went. Fennin ro was a long event. xegony was gay too

most shit in PoP was 2+hrs

• 1Like

tyen

<Banned>
vex thal ofcrs

VP because of fast respawns

getting to trakanon was long, even with COH