Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You must be a career EQ emulator player or someone who hasnt really played MMO's in depth since EQ. The huge majority of MMO's have roles, mechanics, and plenty of resource management which brings difficulty on the fly. (See WoW mythic for one example, which 98% of this thread couldnt handle). You come across like this is going to be some huge challenging game with things that haven't been done since EQ.

This is going to be EZ mode mmo raiding for slower paced folks which is fine, it doesnt need to be schilled as some messiah thats bringing back shit thats already in 98% of MMO's released and is going to be difficult.

Meh, granted I have not played wow in quite a while, all that wow amounted to IMO was spamming some uber awesome rotation of butons over and over and doing a coordinated jumping and movement dance around some mob/mobs to carefully not step in the green shit. And while this can be challenging, I find it boring an tedious. Just like some would find camping some shit for a few hours boring and tedious. granted EQ raid mobs were just a cleric rotation to keep tank up more than anything, but to think that this game will be nothing but tank and spank is kind of being a pessimist here.

My first play through in WoW was fun, ill give you that. It was new and fresh, silky smooth, the entire quest hub thing. But the problem with games like that is that you do it once, you dread ever doing it again. I liked EQ because it focused on group play, and it did not force you into some hub or set of hubs for your level range. You explored the world to find shit, hidden place holders, hidden quests, NPC, etc... Gameplay was slower, although IMO more "cerebral" as people used to say. Plus the gear, at least in the first 5 or so EQ expansions was all pretty much cool hand made shit, instead of boring excel designed +3 shit.

Im glad someone is trying to modernize the old school MMO experience. Shit bro, its been nearly 20 yrs. And while it wont be for everyone, im betting it will do quite well if they can finish this shit and not be a fucking Vanguard 2.0 mess.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Meh, granted I have not played wow in quite a while, all that wow amounted to IMO was spamming some uber awesome rotation of butons over and over and doing a coordinated jumping and movement dance around some mob/mobs to carefully not step in the green shit. And while this can be challenging, I find it boring an tedious. Just like some would find camping some shit for a few hours boring and tedious. granted EQ raid mobs were just a cleric rotation to keep tank up more than anything, but to think that this game will be nothing but tank and spank is kind of being a pessimist here.

My first play through in WoW was fun, ill give you that. It was new and fresh, silky smooth, the entire quest hub thing. But the problem with games like that is that you do it once, you dread ever doing it again. I liked EQ because it focused on group play, and it did not force you into some hub or set of hubs for your level range. You explored the world to find shit, hidden place holders, hidden quests, NPC, etc... Gameplay was slower, although IMO more "cerebral" as people used to say. Plus the gear, at least in the first 5 or so EQ expansions was all pretty much cool hand made shit, instead of boring excel designed +3 shit.

Im glad someone is trying to modernize the old school MMO experience. Shit bro, its been nearly 20 yrs. And while it wont be for everyone, im betting it will do quite well if they can finish this shit and not be a fucking Vanguard 2.0 mess.
What class did you play in EQ that couldn’t be described as “spamming some uber awesome rotation of butons over and over and doing a coordinated jumping and movement dance around some mob/mobs to carefully not step in the green shit”? Unless you’re saying you prefer games in which you spam a single skill instead of spamming several skills, I don’t understand your critique. As far as movement, even classic EQ raids had LoS dodging AoEs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I hate how this game just recycles the humanoid model for all the races. No cool looking Trolls or Ogres like in EQ1 before they fucked them all up. He did the same fucking thing for Vanguard. Total laziness.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I hate how this game just recycles the humanoid model for all the races. No cool looking Trolls or Ogres like in EQ1 before they fucked them all up. He did the same fucking thing for Vanguard. Total laziness.
I'm pretty sure its because of armor skins. The character models have to be relatively uniform for the armor to fit on all races. EQ used unique textures for each race, hence they could have radically different body shapes. The downside to that is obviously only having a small handful of armor skins per race.

Could be wrong, but thats how I understand it.

• 1Solidarity

Tevinter

Lord Nagafen Raider
pretty excited for this game but worried about how the raid content will turn out and how classes will be balanced. only time will tell i suppose

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
What class did you play in EQ that couldn’t be described as “spamming some uber awesome rotation of butons over and over and doing a coordinated jumping and movement dance around some mob/mobs to carefully not step in the green shit”? Unless you’re saying you prefer games in which you spam a single skill instead of spamming several skills, I don’t understand your critique. As far as movement, even classic EQ raids had LoS dodging AoEs.

Most boss fights in most games can be described this way. Even Dark Souls fights can be broken down into wait for boss's tell> roll/block/run> attack if able > repeat.

It all just comes down to reaction/precision required with EQ on the your-mom's-friend-who-doesn't-play-video-games side of the spectrum.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm pretty sure its because of armor skins. The character models have to be relatively uniform for the armor to fit on all races. EQ used unique textures for each race, hence they could have radically different body shapes. The downside to that is obviously only having a small handful of armor skins per race.

Could be wrong, but thats how I understand it.
Yep, you're right. It wasn't until a few expansions ago that EQ added separate armor models instead of textures. Not sure what technical limitation kept them from doing it sooner. Maybe E Elidroth can elaborate if we ask nicely? :)

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It was amusing when different armors looked completely different depending on the race wearing it. Like that armor that dropped from the fucking Ice Orcs in Velious. Looked like normal chain mail on most races. Slap it on a Female Dark elf and it was slutty chainmail negligee. They knew who was playing that combo.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
UJYMUCb.jpg

eSXjuPG.jpg

• 3Solidarity
  • 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 7 users

Siliconemelons

group and solo fights in EQ were "better" than WOW because the tipping point of this could go wrong was right there - yes the "do x to active y" is always how it is, it's a game.

Also, in EQ - once tipped to "this is now going wrong" you - could tip it back by "skill" while in WOW if you somehow managed to cross that line, it's done so just press the restart button.

Naturally longer fights also made it more interesting even if it's nothing more than adding time to allow someone a higher chance to screw up.

• 1Salty

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think I see some Fuzzy Troll concept art hangin up on the wall behind him.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
group and solo fights in EQ were "better" than WOW because the tipping point of this could go wrong was right there - yes the "do x to active y" is always how it is, it's a game.

Also, in EQ - once tipped to "this is now going wrong" you - could tip it back by "skill" while in WOW if you somehow managed to cross that line, it's done so just press the restart button.

Naturally longer fights also made it more interesting even if it's nothing more than adding time to allow someone a higher chance to screw up.

What the shit are you even talking about.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Mat'hir Uth Gan

Trakanon Raider
Reveals on the Cleric, Druid, and Shaman were interesting. Shaman sounds OP as fuck with some crazy abilities that sound exploitable. Druid seems far different than the EQ versions. Clerics are clerics.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I play mostly all MMO's I dont get where the idea that because of a couple of shitter ones without the Trinity it means that all are that way. Those are primarily PVP games without them.

I love EQ more than WoW but the raiding is awesome in both games and I appreciate the differences. Everquest was about subsets of your raid like clerics, tanks, etc working together and others could pick up others slack and carry the raid if something went sideways (ie: insanely good clerics). WoW especially Mythic raiding is more about YOUR performance and there isnt room like there is in EQ for multiple errors or even 1 error in some situations. You cant have 2/3 or 1/2 of your raid healing lazily or doing sub par DPS and expect to raid at the high end. Its a different beast and there's a reason not everyone can step into it like they can EQ. Both are fun but very different and have different skill levels needed to raid.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users