Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I haven't kept up with the development of Pantheon over the years that closely. Is it really as bad as people are making it out to be? God knows I wish I hadn't spent money on this thing so many years ago now /sigh ... but I at least hope something worth playing comes out of it... eventually. Am I delusional?

Feel free to read this thread from beginning to end and make your own opinion.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Feel free to read this thread from beginning to end and make your own opinion.
From what I have seen in the later pages of this thread are a ton of hilarious fallen animated gifs. Don't get me wrong. I love them lol. I'm just wonder if anybody that is in the pre-pre-pre-whatever-alpha has actual information on what is wrong.

• 2Fal'len
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
From what I have seen in the later pages of this thread are a ton of hilarious fallen animated gifs. Don't get me wrong. I love them lol. I'm just wonder if anybody that is in the pre-pre-pre-whatever-alpha has actual information on what is wrong.

There is no game yet to review. The people panning Pantheon are actually just attacking Brad for various reasons.

As for Pantheon, it's just too early to say if it's good or bad. And being a crowdfunded game, it will be a very long time before there is a game to play or have a valid opinion of.

The above is also true for Star Citizen, Camelot Unchained, Ashes of Creation and the other crowd funded mmos. Crowfall seems to be closer to being in a place that could be reviewed, but it still is a long way off from release.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mat'hir Uth Gan

Trakanon Raider
I try to float in the middle on this thing. Some days I feel like it's not going to happen, some days I feel like it is. The most recent stream was probably their best stream to date, so I'll give credit there. The stream had the same boss fight from before, but at least showed a different area of Halnir's Cave before that. None of that really matters though, the graphics, lighting, spell effects, and UI were all drastically improved over the last time I saw the game. The UI got a lot of work, including the spell book and icons. Definitely some progress there. The new character models are much better. The stuff they showed at the end with the future warrior animations, climbing animations, and lightning VFX was all very solid. The new hires seem to be working hard at least. They move at a snail's pace, but Joppa seemed to hint there is a lot more done they want to show, but are waiting to drop all together in one massive bomb with this Project Fearthale thing they've been working on for half a year. That update and new game client is going to be very telling. This stream was encouraging though, the game looks a lot better than the last stream from December.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Yea watch that last stream. I liked what I saw. Properly fatass ogre, a bit of ability stuff, some of that wide area effect stuff. Looked fun to me, though I think they were a bit overleveled or overgeared for it all.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
Hey, ex early pantheon dev here, kinda willing to talk about some stuff if you guys are interested.
Sorry for the slow responses here, I'll get to everything I can as I can.

Just some disclaimers- I have not worked on the project since October 2017, so I cannot speak past that. I started almost directly after the kickstarter failed, as a volunteer.

Why did you bail?

This would sort of be a long story, but I'll try to keep it short and to the point.

I was working a fulltime 3D job during the day(which started to become more and more involved as time went on). I was then coming home and still putting in 20-30 hours a week on Pantheon as the only environment artist for years. It really started to wear on me; and the salary I was making was justifying it less and less. As we did begin getting help in that department, I took a bit of a hiatus to relieve some of the burnout and get my work life balance back in order. Began talking with the team a few months later about how I wanted to move forward, and contribute and one day Chris Perkins just flat out stopped responding so I didn't pursue it anymore and went on to do other contracts (which worked out far, far better).

Leading up to that I had a lot of concerns about how we were doing things in the environment art area, my work was being undone as I moved to other areas. Which I understood to a degree, but not completely. A lot of what I developed initially was RnD and we needed to come up with a cohesive art pipeline; this did eventually come together as advancements in the engine happened and our developed tool set came together.

We started to get some REALLY good help, Bruno (Tech artist) was a god-send for the project, and having Jared on concept art was a really nice step. I do think they probably have a smooth art pipeline at this time, but probably still could use a lot of extra man hours.

Do you really count as a dev if you never got paid for your work because Brad stole it from you?

Initially I did come on as a volunteer as much of the early team did. As we started producing environments, and Daniel started to get a lot of the project functionality cleaned up, the game started to show far better and funding began coming in. Once we had funding and budgeting figured out, I was offered a salary, and was consistently paid the agreed amount from there on out. My software costs were also covered. I was never "screwed out of money" or paid any money for the rite to develop.

Ill get to more later.

If you fucking code the way you respond to an ama its no wonder they shitcanned your ass.

• 8Worf
  • 1Ice Burn
Reactions: 8 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

• 9Worf
  • 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 14 users

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
I haven't kept up with the development of Pantheon over the years that closely. Is it really as bad as people are making it out to be? God knows I wish I hadn't spent money on this thing so many years ago now /sigh ... but I at least hope something worth playing comes out of it... eventually. Am I delusional?

To save you the pain of reading this shitshow thread, they have questionable funding at this point to complete and release Pantheon.. that said the last gameplay video stream looked pretty damn good.

Here is a link to the post of the gameplay video...

they have done a good job with recent lighting enhancements making it look pretty damn good.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
To save you the pain of reading this shitshow thread, they have questionable funding at this point to complete and release Pantheon.. that said the last gameplay video stream looked pretty damn good.

Here is a link to the post of the gameplay video...

they have done a good job with recent lighting enhancements making it look pretty damn good.
That's it, I'm sold!

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

nisser

Trakanon Raider
I've been looking at the youtube video of this guy where he goes through the beta wow patches 1 by 1 and shows the speed that content was coming out. It's essentially at lightspeed compared to these guys who've released nothing in years. This shit is dead guys.

Essentially goes April of 2004 from not even having talents, from level 35, 2 classes yet missing, etc and releasing in November.

• 1Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I'm in no way white knighting for Pantheon, but it's totally unfair to compare their game to World of Warcraft and the endless coin Blizzard had at their disposal. That's like comparing your friend's sneaker company in his garage to Nike.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm in no way white knighting for Pantheon, but it's totally unfair to compare their game to World of Warcraft and the endless coin Blizzard had at their disposal. That's like comparing your friend's sneaker company in his garage to Nike.

• 4Like
  • 4Worf
  • 2Fal'len
Reactions: 9 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

Yeah, but it's relevant in terms of if you'd want to buy the sneakers or not. Not having enough resources to make a good product is an entirely valid reason to think it will be crap.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Did blizzard have people stealing funding to pay their bills and buy dirt bikes? I don’t remember.

• 4Like
  • 1Fal'len
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Did blizzard have people stealing funding to pay their bills and buy dirt bikes? I don’t remember.

I hate the internet because they always cut the videos off right before the part you want to see every time. You know that fat kid destroyed his face, but did we get to see... NOPE! Fuck you internet.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I hate the internet because they always cut the videos off right before the part you want to see every time. You know that fat kid destroyed his face, but did we get to see... NOPE! Fuck you internet.

• 1Fal'len
  • 1Like

nisser

Trakanon Raider

So enjoy your handmade straw slippers made by blind monkeys; I'll sport my nikes.

• 2Like