AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
weekend-morning-awesomeness-35-photos-3-2.gif

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I'm curious about something. With a game like this that has so much negativity about it ever coming out (warranted or not) that has been publicly in development for this many years... what is the harm in them opening up the pre-Alpha of the game to those who have paid for Alpha access?

Normally, I would be 100% against anyone getting in to a pre-alpha because it could cause negative social feedback harming the hype for the game and lowering potential future sales.

But... in the case of Pantheon, there is a large consensus that the game will never actually make it to production (again... warranted or not, it has this reputation at this point).

In my opinion, and that probably isn't worth much honestly, there is zero harm that can come from letting everybody in to pre-alpha that has already paid for alpha access so many years ago. If anything, getting more people in to the game to actually play what is there might create some level of positive feedback in the community as more people actually experience what is there first hand.

Obviously the world would be tiny, there would be next to no character development, things would change at the drop of a hat, servers would be completely unreliable, characters would be deleted at any time as need be for development, and optimization would not be a thing at all. There would be ZERO customer support. But, these are things that are to be expected in pre-alpha.

All I'm saying is that at this point, I think they are harming Pantheon more by keeping people out than they would be letting people in.

If the game is what they say it is (not saying it isn't) and the live streams they put out are not scripted smoke and mirrors (again, not saying it is), then letting people in to pre-alpha that have already paid for alpha access would allow more people to get in to verify that it is in fact a product that is on it's way and worthy of others to spend their money on.

What I would do is just have it available for all alpha users on the first and third weekends of every month. It's limited availability and your mileage will vary greatly, but it pulls the curtain back and allows people to see that the wizard isn't back there pushing the buttons.

I believe they could raise way more money from this kind of community interaction than they ever will from selling t-shirts and other junk. Who wants merchandise for a game that honestly no one knows if it will ever be released? Anybody remember Amular? I bet you just cherish your Amular merchandise right? Didn't think so. And, that was a game with R. A. Salvatore and Todd McFarlane involved. Who would have thought that would not make it to release?

Don't make Pantheon the next Amular. If you have a game (and the streams make it look like you do), then let it speak for itself. If it's not smoke and mirrors, the people will fund you. If not, then you deserve to fail because we don't need another Amular to disappointment.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
If Pantheon manages to be good, or even just release and be decent, watching the 180 this forum will make is going to be fun. They're trying to make exactly what we're always moaning about wanting. I'm personally rooting for them and am glad to see they're finally able to show some progress. Hopefully they start getting players in soon so we can get an idea of whether or not its going to float.

*falling intensifies*

This game will be less fun than watching drunken dwarves fighting with used diapers.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

dizzie

Triggered Happy
They should just sell fartvale for $20 and do the rest of the game as expansions over time for $10-20. Nobodies paying a sub for this pile of shit, that models dead unless your game has boatloads of content and is good.

They could probably do MTX as that seems to be all the rage and it's not "game breaking". But the character models need some serious improvement before that's on the cards.

It's bewildering that they seem to be able to continue, they must all live off trust funds or some shit because most people can't work for nothing for years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I'm curious about something. With a game like this that has so much negativity about it ever coming out (warranted or not) that has been publicly in development for this many years... what is the harm in them opening up the pre-Alpha of the game to those who have paid for Alpha access?

Normally, I would be 100% against anyone getting in to a pre-alpha because it could cause negative social feedback harming the hype for the game and lowering potential future sales.

But... in the case of Pantheon, there is a large consensus that the game will never actually make it to production (again... warranted or not, it has this reputation at this point).

In my opinion, and that probably isn't worth much honestly, there is zero harm that can come from letting everybody in to pre-alpha that has already paid for alpha access so many years ago. If anything, getting more people in to the game to actually play what is there might create some level of positive feedback in the community as more people actually experience what is there first hand.

Obviously the world would be tiny, there would be next to no character development, things would change at the drop of a hat, servers would be completely unreliable, characters would be deleted at any time as need be for development, and optimization would not be a thing at all. There would be ZERO customer support. But, these are things that are to be expected in pre-alpha.

All I'm saying is that at this point, I think they are harming Pantheon more by keeping people out than they would be letting people in.

If the game is what they say it is (not saying it isn't) and the live streams they put out are not scripted smoke and mirrors (again, not saying it is), then letting people in to pre-alpha that have already paid for alpha access would allow more people to get in to verify that it is in fact a product that is on it's way and worthy of others to spend their money on.

What I would do is just have it available for all alpha users on the first and third weekends of every month. It's limited availability and your mileage will vary greatly, but it pulls the curtain back and allows people to see that the wizard isn't back there pushing the buttons.

I believe they could raise way more money from this kind of community interaction than they ever will from selling t-shirts and other junk. Who wants merchandise for a game that honestly no one knows if it will ever be released? Anybody remember Amular? I bet you just cherish your Amular merchandise right? Didn't think so. And, that was a game with R. A. Salvatore and Todd McFarlane involved. Who would have thought that would not make it to release?

Don't make Pantheon the next Amular. If you have a game (and the streams make it look like you do), then let it speak for itself. If it's not smoke and mirrors, the people will fund you. If not, then you deserve to fail because we don't need another Amular to disappointment.

The harm is they would get 0 funding. Also what do you expect to be able to do if you can login? Chances are the game is wholly incomplete and there's little to no progression setup. You're just going to run around empty/broken zones with broken characters and an inability to "progress" and then what?
You can't just open up a game if it's not even a game yet.

From the video we just saw, the zones had literally 2 NPCs in them.... 1 Dryad thing in Farthale and the boss guy in the storm zone. Not very compelling content. And it's not like the visuals are really breaking any barriers either. Still looks like a mobile game imo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

This game is still way to early to do that. Right now people give them leeway because it’s still in development and no one can confirm just how shitty and incomplete it is. As soon as you allow anyone in who wants to the community would confirm its extremely shit after six years of development. Just my opinion. I think what you are asking is fine when a company has a large chunk of core systems finished, but this doesn’t.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I'd like to know why it took them over 6 years to get as far as they've gotten. That's a snail's pace, even for a skeleton crew. Seems like what they have so far should've been completed in less than a year.

zinc_turtle

Trakanon Raider
I'd like to know why it took them over 6 years to get as far as they've gotten. That's a snail's pace, even for a skeleton crew. Seems like what they have so far should've been completed in less than a year.
It's slow by any measure. They've taken twice as long as it took to develop EQ1, from scratch, and are still in pre-alpha. The videos they showed in 2016 are not significantly different than what they're showing in 2020. The retconners claim the "actual" development starting in 2015, not 2014 (post kickstarter).
Ok, then they had a playable game in 2016. They had a client, they had a server, they had zones, and they had combat. Foolish people pay for far less, these days.

The issue of funding is a solved problem, yet they're not availing themselves of the solutions. They refuse to charge for persistent pre-alpha access. They refuse to move ahead to alpha. At this point, their situation is the consequence of all their own actions and mistakes since the Kickstarter. There's no third party to blame. They can pull themselves out of this hole by making the right decisions now and implementing them in the few days it would take to do so. Nope! Nuh uh. Not gonna do that!
Keep spending your 2015 money on debt servicing, Visionary Realms. I'm sure that'll work great, right up until the point at which you can no longer pay wages and close the doors. :emoji_violin: