Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Khane

Got something right about marriage
He mentioned keeping expectations and feature creep low. Some of that stuff seems like a stretch and makes it seem like he still doesn't have the ability to "reign it in".

Differentiating physics in different zones.
Dungeons that make Sebilis look like a pre-school starting with the very first dungeon.
Leveling could end up focusing on more "horizontal" content than "vertical," so (in McQuaid's words) you end up with as much content in 20 levels as you normally would in 50.

Sounds like he might still be trying to make the game bigger and grander than it should be. I hope he's able to pull it off because that would be great but...

You could have copied and pasted that from the original Vanguard interviews, almost word for word.
That's exactly right, which doesn't sit well. It's obvious he is very passionate and enthusiastic about making games. But if he's got nobody to keep his lofty aspirations in check I fear the worst.

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
  • McQuaid describes Terminus as a world where fallen dimensional planes rub up against each other like tectonic plates
  • the potential for each of their dimensions to present their own climates and physics
Sounds really interesting, an has great potential for crazy content!

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Those are some interesting details and they all get me interested. I like the thought of less repetitiveness. The combat system seems intriguing. I like the ideas of limiting skills, though I wouldn't get caught up on "12" skills. It's a good benchmark though to start with.

I'm skeptical of the "merchant role" thing, but that really depends on their ability to craft a world and create content for crafters that is actually interesting.

In the end, it's 10 guys in a garage. We'll see how things pan out. I wish the best for them though. The industry needs different types of games.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
The system of mobs having 'tells' and combat being more reactive reminds me of what was being said about early Vanguard, a system that ultimately didn't really work; and what Vanguard became, a system you could still describe in such a way, but the description would elicit far more hopes and dreams of imaginative gamers than the system actually plays as.

That's my worry. Brad is amazing at putting his vision into words, and often those words create flights of fancy that can't live up to the actual, practical mechanics. For instance:

"We're probably not going to have a global marketplace," McQuaid says. "Instead, we would like to encourage some form of merchant role with a focus on certain locations and regions." He speaks, for instance, of an ideal situation in which players would farm materials from a dangerous part of the world, bring them back to more civilized zones and make a profit owing to the time and effort involved.
Will have a ton of people envisioning a world where they're asked to delve into the depths of danger to retrieve rare materials for local merchants or being rewarded heavily for their harsh journey across Eurasia bringing spices to heathens....

In reality, it sounds like it will just be what we expect from these games, but with regional marketplaces instead of global. So, you'll run a group in Seb, at the end of the night port out, and decide which of the 3 regional AH you want to put your crap on.

I'm all for regional AHs. I loved them in Vanguard, which was designed well for them outside of not having populations to support the three continents. And around launch I made some extra cash running low-level armor drops from one continent's AH to another. But it wasn't the fantastical dreams of novel-turned-to-epic-movie adventures. It was taking localized armor drops and running an extra 30 minutes on my shaman to put them at a different AH that didn't see those drops were becoming pretty common.

I hope someone gets to help be the PR voice. Brad is awesome for vision, but we also need someone who can explain in game-mechanics terms how the game will actually play and why it will still be awesome, just not what the pie-in-the-sky vision makes it sound like it will be in our own imaginations.

delirium_sl

shitlord
He mentioned keeping expectations and feature creep low. Some of that stuff seems like a stretch and makes it seem like he still doesn't have the ability to "reign it in".

Differentiating physics in different zones.
Dungeons that make Sebilis look like a pre-school starting with the very first dungeon.
Leveling could end up focusing on more "horizontal" content than "vertical," so (in McQuaid's words) you end up with as much content in 20 levels as you normally would in 50.

Sounds like he might still be trying to make the game bigger and grander than it should be. I hope he's able to pull it off because that would be great but...

That's exactly right, which doesn't sit well. It's obvious he is very passionate and enthusiastic about making games. But if he's got nobody to keep his lofty aspirations in check I fear the worst.
I have a feeling much of this will be stretch goals though.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Stretch goals are part of KS. No goals, no money.
Stretch goals don't HAVE to be part of the KS. I mean, you're right, without them they probably won't get as much money but I have a feeling the more that are added the less likely we are to get a good core game.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
KS please before I freak out... (really just wanted an excuse to use this somewhere)

rrr_img_56562.jpg

Mur_sl

shitlord
" McQuaid mentions a system of watching for "graphics on the floor" reminiscent of WildStar's telegraphs, as well as the idea that "there may be a target on your friend's chest" indicating that a projectile is about to fire."

So big red boxes to dodge out of? God I hope that's not what this means.

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Stretch goals don't HAVE to be part of the KS. I mean, you're right, without them they probably won't get as much money but I have a feeling the more that are added the less likely we are to get a good core game.
You know, stretch goals dont have to be available at the launch of a game, as long as you tell everybody about it, no problem...

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
For the people saying this sounds like vanguard description and he's trying to do too much, I think the first point to remember is they're using that Unity engine shit or whatever so it should be easier/faster to make the game(and waste less money) and the 2nd aspect is he can cut a lot of the side stuff that was in vanguard but ultimately didn't add all that much, such as housing, ships, diplomacy, crafting(at least the detailed crafting, work orders and all that shit), starting zones(they were really cool but tbh you don't need 12starting zones or whatever it was). If they had diverted all the time they wasted on these during VG creation into actually making endgame content and shit, game probably would have been a ton better. Also client stability.

Anyway, some of the points sound a bit "scary" in terms of what he means by that, especially 12 limited abilities is like "ugh not this shit again", but guess we'll see. 12 is at least better than 8 like Wildstar or 10 like GW2, but only barely. Push it to 16 and I think I'd be fine with it.