Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Dumar_sl

shitlord
What other options are there? I've wracked my mind over this very question. The market will just keep getting more casual and more online store whorish. I can't even point to a company that I believe will make a real MMO, let alone an actual game in development. 2020 is fucking optimistic. The likely time is never.

Seems my local bingo club doesn't have a message board.
frown.png

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Another problem with this entire thing is $800k doesn't even make a game this board would want to play. That takes like $5M+, which Brad will, um, magically? get if this KS is successful? I just don't see it. Who is going to look at $1M from KS and give Brad the $6M more he needs to actually make a game people would play?
Ok you obviously haven't been following this thread or project man. We gotcha and it's noted. It's on Brad and team to prove you wrong. Fair enough

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I only pledged to reserve my alpha spot. Atm I'm not very optimistic this gets made, getting the 800k goal probably, but you can't make a MMO on 800k, well not one this board or many others would play. And like I said before I don't like some of the stretch goals which I feel should be part of the game no matter what.

Question though , since the goal is 800k on the page(which seems low) does that mean once they reach that, everyone is charged and your money is now gone, no matter if the game is made or not?

spronk

FPS noob
once a KS project is funded money goes straight into the recipients amazon payments account, KS just bridges the two temporarily and doesn't even hold the money for a second. That is only triggered when the goal amount is hit though, if its not hit nothing gets charged.

If the product is never made tough shit, while the KS terms do require a delivery they can't really enforce it (except to ban further projects from that group/person) and they don't hold the money in escrow or anything. A few KS projects have refunded money when outside circumstances caused the project to fail, but that was basically the people being honest. I think there have been a few KS scams where the person just walked away with the money but you'd have to google around to find out more.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hmm interesting, not really up to date how KS works. Are there some kind of checks to make sure that money is spent on what was promised or could they literally get the 800k and walk and everyone just hates them?

Edit: nvm spronk answered. That's crazy , so they could just piss the money away or mismanagement very badly and not shit you can do.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Hmm interesting, not really up to date how KS works. Are there some kind of checks to make sure that money is spent on what was promised or could they literally get the 800k and walk and everyone just hates them?
i dunno if you can pursue a class action, but his reputation will be forever ruined if he 1) runs away with the money 2) can't deliver the good

gogojira_sl

shitlord
One lady used her daughter to scam everyone. Look up the Truth and Trolls story. I'm not really sure what kind of action you can take, there's been a few complete bust Kickstarters; from not living up to promises to straight up cancellations.

In this case, most of these guys have a reputation and future that depends on game development. Nobody knows the future, but I don't think there's a chance in the world they'd purposely do something shitty like that.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
But the point is this forum is going to be on board as it gets compared to the rest of the webz already. The KS period is about getting the word out and $$ as much as possible from those other places. Spending time to convince the folks who don't know about the game to pony up is what needs to be done now. That trumps everything else for the next month.
I didn't present my case well: Absolutely Brad and Co. need to be on every media venue, gaming podcast, website with a forum, etc. On this we agree completely. What I was trying to impart, though, is that during this time, everyone can use a safehouse (bzzt!) to come back to when they need to recharge, when they need the shock troops, and when they want to spread the word to the faithful. They should focus elsewhere but also to use this place for what it offers in that context.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea I don't see these guys ripping anyone off.. I think they have a plan B for funding but KS is probably a big chip from them when time comes for additional funding..

So there seems to be a decent amount of people who don't think they have actually started designing the game.. The PH mobs didn't help that.. I know Brad said they are building the world.. They really need that dungeon walk through or something else to show soon...

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I didn't present my case well: Absolutely Brad and Co. need to be on every media venue, gaming podcast, website with a forum, etc. On this we agree completely. What I was trying to impart, though, is that during this time, everyone can use a safehouse (bzzt!) to come back to when they need to recharge, when they need the shock troops, and when they want to spread the word to the faithful. They should focus elsewhere but also to use this place for what it offers in that context.
No disagreement there. If he's got the time and wants/needs to I'd like him to be here as much as he wants. Just currently it's obvious they need to pound the virtual pavement preaching to the heathen non believers and passing around the donation plate a lot more.

(which thankfully they appear to be doing , and the day 2 update says we should see them doing that much more from here on out ,let's hope that's true as that 2 of 40 total days gone and every day counts).

Machail_sl

shitlord
I did it! It took 2 days but I finally read (...or skimmed...) all 322 pages of this thread!

I need someone to explain to me WHY no other game after Vanguard implemented the Brotherhood system?
For those that don't know, this feature was for friends who wanted to stay in level range of each other. All friends formed a Brotherhood, in which all exp earned by all members went into a pool and was redistributed to everyone, whether they were online or not.

For me and my friends this was perfect! Like most group of friends, 1 or 2 of us had above average time to play and would often out level the main group. Another friend would be utterly controlled by GF/Wife aggro and would always be under leveled. With friends no longer able to easily play with each other, players would begin to leave the game and start looking for the next best thing.

This system, in my experience was far superior to "Mentoring" or "Side Kicking" because no one had to repeat content or felt weak. This feature wasn't available in Open Beta or Launch, BUT I distinctly remember one developer telling us we owe everything to another developer because he stayed late working extra hours to implement the "cut" feature.

I'm currently backing the Kickstarter, but this is one of those features that I could take to my friends and say, 'This game is different! This game is rewarding and this game will keep us together! This game is for us!'. If this feature gets announced I'm instantly doubling my pledge.
The brotherhood system was certainly a handy thing to have, but it can also be viewed as a turn-off to some of the audience who wants a more clean system. In any case, it is a bit early but it will be discussed.

--Ben, PR Manager, Pantheon:Rise of the Fallen
--Should really get around to making a proper sig instead of manually typing my sig every time.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The brotherhood system was certainly a handy thing to have, but it can also be viewed as a turn-off to some of the audience who wants a more clean system. In any case, it is a bit early but it will be discussed.

--Should really get around to making a proper sig instead of manually typing my sig every time.
I kind of liked what Brad was saying about 20 levels but 50 levels of content: I think that will be a huge help with late comers or people who fall behind.

Machail_sl

shitlord
completely inaccurate. if this game was a 100% go, i'd have zero problems giving brad and co. $500 or more. but that is not the case. it's not about being scared, it's about being smart. giving that much money to a group of people who may or may not make a game that may or may not come out by 2017 sounds incredibly naive to me.
I understand your concerns - I do. But I also know this team, and know that each one of them has been working around the clock to make this happen. With the level of commitment I'm seeing internally at this point, there's no doubt in my mind that they will not give up. Looking at the work done with no paychecks involved, from my viewpoint, I know these guys are in it for real. That's how I knew I was in the right place.

Now granted, if your concerns are CAN we do it rather than do we have the drive to do it, well, that's when it comes down to the person. For me, I took that leap of faith and have dedicated my life for the past month or two to the project with no guarantees of anything, because I believe, or rather know it can happen with this team. But that's just me, and that's a call everyone has to make on their own. I think that's actually a pretty big theme in this Kickstarter. Not to sound all Tucker or anything, but it's a big dream, shared by thousands, and the entire player community and the VR team have been doing our best to make it a reality. It's been an amazing experience from that standpoint alone. Even if you have just a little dreamer in you, I encourage you to come along.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
No system is 'cleaner' than just letting players out level their friends, but fragmenting mico-communities so the people who can't play as often are completely turned away from the game isn't something even 'hardcore' fans will support, I don't think. There is a lot of room to negotiate when it comes to travel and exp curves and open vs instanced, etc, but I think some sort of system has to be in place that lets friends play together, whether it's mentoring or players scaling to zones or allowing twinking/PLing or the brotherhood system. They have to have something.

I personally like the Brotherhood system. Mentoring makes players feel like they have to slum it and repeat content and basically be held back by their friends. Scaling everyone to a zone's level is, I hope, not even being discussed for this game. Imo the best solution is to let the friends who play more help their friends be pulled forward and allow twinking/PLing. And who cares if I level an alt or buff/port bot on a second account.
wink.png

What other options are there? Or should your friends who can't play as often just be shit out of luck?