Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Group play...Group play...Group play...

Its such a huge focus for the game, but what has been said about what type of innovative systems will make it succeed? One of the main reasons I quit SWTOR early was no LFG system. GW2 was similar and people resorted to outside websites to help find groups. Pantheon has limited teleportation and fast travel so a goof LFG system is pretty much out of the question because they depend on teleporting to the dungeon.

A lot of MMOs have tried to achieve it through public quest systems. Warhammer,FFXIV,GW2 and Rift etc. They work ok, but they often encourage cheesing it for some classes and get boring pretty fast.

Then you have systems like Marvel heroes that can encourage natural groups by letting everyone share max XP for any contribution/being in the area. There is no sitting around waiting for grouping to happen, people naturally congregate to the action.

EQ2 amd GW1 have companion systems, which I like over most other systems. It lets you experience the feeling of group content with automated group members, but still less efficient than a real group. If I have a 2 hour block to play, I'm not going to play the game that requires you to sit around for 1hr to even be able to enjoy the game.

I think what a lot of people really miss about Eq1 is the carefree days of college with the ability to hang around EC tunnel all day etc while doing homework etc while waiting for a group spot and playing at will when the pager buzzes and rare boss is up. Even then it took you 30 min to even get everyone to the start of the raid. Most EQ1 players are a lot more restricted in time commitments these days and need systems that get the player into action asap. I think a lot of EQ1 nostalgia is based on wanting to go back to the days of limited commitments and plenty of free time to camp stuff for hours and when people actually get into the game they will lose interest fast if there isn't some innovative systems built in to the game.
it's been said a hundred times, and this may actually blow your mind, but there are literally millions of players out there who are the age we used to be and have endless hours to play. this game, if it ever gets made, will certainly not be a lobby game where you are instantly whisked away to whatever dungeon you want, and i for one am thankful for that. one of the things that made EQ truly epic was the travel that was involved. it was dangerous, it was exciting, and it forced you to stay in certain areas for longer periods of time and *gasp! actually interact with people and get to know them.

tad10

Elisha Dushku

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
What is the incentive for me directly if I recruit more people? I think that is one thing the Hex KS did well. There was incentive to get more people to join other than getting the project funded. There was personal gain with better rewards to your tier.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I'll pass. I'm focusing on Mac gaming forums that I know about.

@etchazz did you pledge yet?
i'm down at the borgata right now for the winter open. if i cash in any of the events i'm playing in, i'll throw some money at the KS. that's a promise. wish me luck!

Wystler_sl

shitlord
i'm down at the borgata right now for the winter open. if i cash in any of the events i'm playing in, i'll throw some money at the KS. that's a promise. wish me luck!
Poker is no game of luck, just make sure the rest of the guys are NOT lucky.
wink.png

DarkAkuma_sl

shitlord
I posted about Pantheon over on theOculus Rift forums. It's the only reasonably popular forum I regularly view/post on.

I have no clue how it will go over there. I remember a lot of positivity for EQN and nostalgia for early EQ1 back when Sony crapped out the reveal on that, so hopefully it will go over well.

Obviously people from that forum are going to want Rift support, so I made sure to address that right away. I hope they see things as reasonably as I do with Visionary Realms not vowing to jump on board just yet, considering that Pantheon probably wont be out till 2 years after the consumer Rift is released.

EDIT: Additionally I've posted about it on my blog, and put a link to the KS in my signature across various forums. Trying to help the cause any little bit I can!

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Just finished talking to a friend who is in Citizen on Fippy. He told me that the Progression Server folks, who of all the EQ folks, are the most likely to contribute (IMHO), are mostly unaware of Brad's project. I'm not sure of how best to reach out to them since all the guilds run their own websites. I don't think they visit the EQ forums all that much (or here). But they are definitely a market that Visionary needs to hit, though I confess I don't know the best way to do that.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just finished talking to a friend who is in Citizen on Fippy. He told me that the Progression Server folks, who of all the EQ folks, are the most likely to contribute (IMHO), are mostly unaware of Brad's project. I'm not sure of how best to reach out to them since all the guilds run their own websites. I don't think they visit the EQ forums all that much (or here). But they are definitely a market that Visionary needs to hit, though I confess I don't know the best way to do that.
I think word will spread.. Hopefully anyway. Word has been getting out for sure.. Or get the person who run the server to put the ks in the chat window at log in;-)