Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
That is a really great average. It shows that the tiers in the $200-600 range are really working for them. They should consider adding something in that range again. I still argue they need something in the $30-35 range that will pull in a different group of gamers who'd like to support.
You are right, but the 500+ tiers are good for the "rerolled-hardcore"-people, not so much for the average oldschool-guy who just wants to play a game like in the good old times (and is not really into alpha/beta testing/theorycrafting). Im concerned that the whole kickstarter is just not appealing enough for them right now.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
please do.
Utnayan is free to come in this thread and discuss flaws with the project/direction/whatever as long as he makes a point and moves on from that point. This thread moves fast and is pretty interesting, so any time a poster comes in and beats a subject to death with a huge number of posts it ruins the thread.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Not really. It's all semantics. He said he couldn't have access to the source code. Then was called out on it, then said he didn't want to pay the cash to have that access and lose the revenue. Just say that in the first place. He doesn't have the leeway after all the blatant lies with Vanguard. Tell it like it is here. Especially when asking the gaming public to give him cash to make his game.
You sound like some dipshit on cable news trying to stir up shit where shit doesn't exist.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Well he's either right about the revenue share or Brad didn't even take the time to explore his engine options because he was flat out wrong about Hero, which despite some big budget failures is a pretty goddamn powerful tool for MMORPG construction.

So I guess which is worse, not performing that basic level of diligence at such an early stage of development or already starting with the lies. Either way, how is anyone supposed to have confidence in this project
I don't think that exchange really requires this level of scrutiny.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
You are right, but the 500+ tiers are good for the "rerolled-hardcore"-people, not so much for the average oldschool-guy who just wants to play a game like in the good old times (and is not really into alpha/beta testing/theorycrafting). Im concerned that the whole kickstarter is just not appealing enough for them right now.
I think that average is slightly off based on the 10,000 pledge.

I think it's like what some others said. For the hardcore 'pie in the sky' people, this is a no brainer to pledge. But for most, there needs to besomethingtangible to at least get excited about. Something that shows that this isn't just some people in a room thinking 'how can we recreate EQ'.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You sound like some dipshit on cable news trying to stir up shit where shit doesn't exist.
I agree with you on this. The difference between, "Getting the source meant having to give up 7% of our gross revenue" and "We can't get the source" is pretty minimal.

Treesong

Star Citizen Online, KS ran for 33 days.
Backers: 34392
Average Pledge Per Backer: $62
Tier that gets you the game + shit: 30 dollar

Shroud of the Avatar, ran for 30 days.
Backers: 22322
Average Pledge Per Backer: $86
Tier that gets you the game + shit: 25/35 dollar

Camelot Unchained, ran for 30 days.
Backers: 14873
Average Pledge Per Backer: $150

Pathfinder Online, ran for 49 days.
Backers: 8732
Average Pledge Per Backer: $125
Tier that gets you the game + a lot of shit including a lifetime double xp deal: 35 dollar

I guess a high average does not immediately mean you are only getting backed by fanatics, however these Kickstarters all had a low 25/35 dollar tier that gave you the game + something.

I also wonder if Brad is planning to add extra rewards to existing tiers if they reach goals within the 800k goal(like every 150k). I know this worked for Pathfinder Online to keep the momentum going and attract new backers. I feel though that they have given away already some possible rewards that could have drawn people in, like lifetime subs and name-reservation. These are now already falling under way overpriced tiers, imo.

When Pathfinder Online added the Destiny's Twin reward to the 35 dollar tier, which basically gave you a double deal for any sub in the future(works differently so not really a second lifetime sub), it really boosted the pledges again. And they added rewards every few days or so, including physical swag like mini's and shit.

I feel that with Pantheon's Kickstarter setup, including the out-of-the-way stretch goals, there is not much room left to add any extra rewards to sweeten the deals.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Yes, I saw no reason to read it. Did he shit it up too?
Oh yeah.

Anyways, My complaints are simply that their kickstarter seems to be starting completely at ground zero. They are not really selling anything because they have nothing. It would've been nice to have a website, an initial concept plan, and maybe even a really early design document up to sell their plan. Instead, we simply got a 20 year old picture of Brad with his resume asking for money to build a game. This to me seems unacceptable especially from an industry insider, and moreso one with a notorious past.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I agree with you on this. The difference between, "Getting the source meant having to give up 7% of our gross revenue" and "We can't get the source" is pretty minimal.
The key issue is probably more the 75k up front, so around 10% of their budget just so they can work on the engine.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Star Citizen Online, KS ran for 33 days.
Backers: 34392
Average Pledge Per Backer: $62
Tier that gets you the game + shit: 30 dollar

Shroud of the Avatar, ran for 30 days.
Backers: 22322
Average Pledge Per Backer: $86

Camelot Unchained, ran for 30 days.
Backers: 14873
Average Pledge Per Backer: $150

Tier that gets you the game + a lot of shit including a lifetime double xp deal: 35 dollar

I guess a high average does not immediately mean you are only getting backed by fanatics, however these Kickstarters all had a low 25/35 dollar tier that gave you the game + something.

I also wonder if Brad is planning to add rewards if they reach goals within the 800k goal(like every 150k). I know this worked for Pathfinder Online to keep the momentum going and attract new backers. I feel though that they have given away already some possible rewards that could have drawn people in, like lifetime subs and name-reservation. These are now already falling under way overpriced tiers, imo.

When Pathfinder Online added the Destiny's Twin reward to the 35 dollar tier, which basically gave you a double deal for any sub in the future, it really boosted the pledges again. And they added rewards every few days or so, including physical swag like mini's and shit.

I feel that with Pantheon's Kickstarter setup, including the out-of-the-way stretch goals, there is not much room left to add any extra rewards to sweeten the deals.
I'd rather have 1000 backers give $50 than 100 backers giving $500

Geeze, double xp for life? for $35? Crazy.

But you illustrate a great point. Pantheon needs an unlimited $30-35 range tier fast. That's what a lot of gamers are willing to pay. They need to get one. I'm not saying they need to do 2x EXP or that sort of thing, but it is a glaring omission in their current tier lineup. It must be corrected soon.

Treesong

Geeze, double xp for life? for $35? Crazy.

But you illustrate a great point. Pantheon needs an unlimited $30-35 range tier fast. That's what a lot of gamers are willing to pay. They need to get one. I'm not saying they need to do 2x EXP or that sort of thing, but it is a glaring omission in their current tier lineup. It must be corrected soon.
It is not exactly a second lifetime sub since it works differently. But you get to basically train up a second character for free, as long as you pay a sub to train the first character (its twin). Subs buy you a maximum amount of monthly xp that you can spend for skillpoints on a single character, so with the Destinys Twin feature you now can train a second character for free.

I think lifetime sub is the wrong word to use here anyway, since the deal only goes into effect if you are paying a sub to begin with. So please read that differently. It is lifetime double xp/trainingpoints as long as you are paying. It is still a very sweet deal for anyone that is actually paying and playing, since he gets double his worth.

Oh, ok. That makes more sense. I thought your main toon got twice the xp for everything he did forever. Thanks for clearing that up!
smile.png

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I know many mmo players who don't care a bit about early name reservation nor titles in game etc.

Make a 30.00 tier plain and simple alpha access. Nothing else , no early name reservation , no in game titles , nothing but the game and alpha access.

You'd be surprised how many (especially as the thing goes along and gets more word of mouth ) who look at the cheap tier that gets beta access , then the 45 tier for alpha and waffle between the decision.

Give the group that is very wary of the game and/or KS a cheap option with no frills that gets them in early.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
I know many mmo players who don't care a bit about early name reservation nor titles in game etc.

Make a 30.00 tier plain and simple alpha access. Nothing else , no early name reservation , no in game titles , nothing but the game and alpha access.

You'd be surprised how many (especially as the thing goes along and gets more word of mouth ) who look at the cheap tier that gets beta access , then the 45 tier for alpha and waffle between the decision.

Give the group that is very wary of the game and/or KS a cheap option with no frills that gets them in early.
+1

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I disagree, one is an unsurmountable problem based on the company selling them the engine and is just a technicality. The other is a profit margin issue. The issue comes in when you debate on the actual engine itself. If the engine is the "best" engine out there and people hate the other engine (unity) and you make that decision based on profits alone people aren't going to be happy. If you make that decision based on the company hindering you from doing things with the source you need to in order to make a game that is an entirely different issue and the fans will see that as a good reason.

The engine decision is a large decision and should be discussed. Utnayan is a raving lunatic but this topic is not just 6 of one, half dozen of the other. The decision matters.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The key issue is probably more the 75k up front, so around 10% of their budget just so they can work on the engine.
I don't think so. That 7% is huge and should be a major decision now before they start calculating server costs and the rest of the overhead necessary to keep the game running.

We could give them a free copy of the engine instead of $75k and I think Brad would still turn it down because of that 7% stinger that is going to haunt the game for life.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Agreed. It wasn't said like the engine wasn't affordable - it was said like the engine wouldn't work for their needs because they couldn't get access to the source code.