Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Wait , how will they get all the hours of rendered cutscenes and voiced dialogue for instanced scenes that are oh so important for a mmo done in that amount of time ?

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
They've got the engine and dev tools from EQN and the original design docs and classes of Vanguard. All they have to do is art and making sure the game actually runs. Hell, start with just a single, small continent that is polished on servers that actually run and people will pay to beta test it! How hard can it be?

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
I am pretty sure these guy are aiming something big, and eventually end up failing like Vanguard all over again. It just never gets old...

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
IDK but something tells me we'll see or hear something about the time EQMac gets shut down if we go by Elidroth's timeline..

rrr_img_48054.png

I really hope they film some lame-ass PR videos of Brad like they do of Terry Micheals for EQN. The differences will be awesome, because instead of being a chipper neckbeard slinging voxels "Oh! I didn't see you come in! :3 Welcome to the black box!", he's the grizzled industry vet and former opioid addict / christian fundamentalist come to give you another corpse run.

rrr_img_48055.jpg

They'll make a movie about it, the comeback story of the year, and Brad will be played by Mark Wahlberg.
Well, that or the points we have to "keep an open mind about" will cause us to abandon all hope. We'll see.

If Brad fails, then idk. I'm a huge UO fanboi, and Richard Garriot made that bullshit "Shroud of the fucking Avatar" game, so my optimism if guarded.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Biggest tragedy of VG was all of Nino's awesome composition work being wasted. I actually talked to him about his music at the Vegas boondoggle back before people realized what was going on in VG. The fact that Brad has to resort to a kickstarter to get funding should tell you all you need to know about this project, especially since he is still putting concept before practicality again, based on what has leaked. But I would pay $20 to fund a you tube video of Brad getting high on the startup money....

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
If you look at the other side of this, from the development team side, maybe not everyone *wants* to go back and spend a few years on something they already accomplished a decade ago. I dont know about Garriot, he's up there with Molyneux on my bullshit-o-meter, but I'm sure whoever makes the calls on this project will add new experimental ideas to it. Because if not, why do it? From the creative point of view I mean, their main motivation probably isnt making neckbeards return to their college years.

The big question for me that I need answered is will their goal be making an immersive world first and foremost that we can play in, or will the focus be on making a game where the integrity of the world comes second?

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
but I'm sure whoever makes the calls on this project will add new experimental ideas to it. Because if not, why do it? From the creative point of view I mean, their main motivation probably isnt making neckbeards return to their college years.
Clearly this is going to be the case, look at how Elidroth phrased it.

"Oh.. and you'll have to keep an open mind due to a couple things, but I believe it's on the right track to be the game WE all miss (challenging, engaging, and social)."

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
They'll make a movie about it, the comeback story of the year, and Brad will be played by Mark Wahlberg.
If they make a movie out of it and its based on a true story it will be directed and played by Will Smith and his gay son, we are talking about Hollywood afterall.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
If they make a movie out of it and its based on a true story it will be directed and played by Will Smith and his gay son, we are talking about Hollywood afterall.
If that's the case, M. Night will have to be involved. The twist will be incredibly hard to guess, but it involves kickstarter money and a lot of blow...

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
If that's the case, M. Night will have to be involved. The twist will be incredibly hard to guess, but it involves kickstarter money and a lot of blow...
Because the twist will be some illogical gimmick that isn't actually clever writing? I agree. It's funny because it actually makes sense.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you look at the other side of this, from the development team side, maybe not everyone *wants* to go back and spend a few years on something they already accomplished a decade ago. I dont know about Garriot, he's up there with Molyneux on my bullshit-o-meter, but I'm sure whoever makes the calls on this project will add new experimental ideas to it. Because if not, why do it?
I think those experimental ideas if they changed the "experience" of the game and why/how you played it then it would defeat the purpose. The problem with most MMOs is those experimental ideas.

To answer your question "Why do something that was done before?" the answer is simple. Why do we still play newer versions of the same game and still have a blast playing them? X-COM, Civilization, Elder Scroll, MTG and what have you. The reason is because the sum of mechanics of those games were fun and we want to scratch that exact itch again.

For the case of Brad and his EQ work. There's an itch for a game like EverQuest; as a whole the game experience was slow and unpredictable. Harsh in a weird way (not difficult but harsh) and many other factors if put together you can bring that "experience" again. If you compromise too much you'd end up with a different game (which is cool...) but, again, you would defeat the purpose of the whole "let's do this amazing experience again".

For me if it doesn't resemble THAT experience at least 90% then it doesn't matter. Just make a completely new thing which might work (and might not work).

Conclusion: We've tried it and we know what to expect. Bring it as is; same and you will guarantee the satisfaction of many people (we get what we expect). Make too many changes and you'll end up with guaranteed disappointed people just trying to please other people who might not (and will not) be pleased anyway.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
You guys crack me up. You guys seem to be capable of extrapolating an entire business plan and game design off of one sentence. LOL.
And FWIW, I'm quite happy at SOE.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Elidroth is the SOE liaison for McQuaid's upcoming project and his use of SOE assets, you heard it here first!

Quaid

Trump's Staff
You guys crack me up. You guys seem to be capable of extrapolating an entire business plan and game design off of one sentence. LOL.
Dude... We've pretty much been having the same 10 conversations for 15 years

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Never underestimate the power of 10 years of built up hopes and dreams repeatedly crushed. And now we see a new glimmer of hope and came out with shovels and helmets with lights and shit.

Now I half expect Curt to drop by and simply post "But the wheel ever turns."

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
bro we have nothing else to work with here.

inbox me some deets, i promise i won't tell.